Coronado. What would you do?

KaLyn

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked during May 4-10 at AoA in a LM room, a prefect fit for our girls. But then I discovered that even a tiny promo (RO 15% off) would allow us break even if we upgraded to a moderate. I started looking around and I fell in love with Coronado. I showed it to DH and he liked it as well. So now I have a decision to make. I am a huge planner and I hate waiting on other people to make my plans. So this waiting game to see if/when a promotion comes along is painful. I also have never booked a Disney vacation this early before, our first trip was planned 3 months in advance and was just for one night. So I really have no experience of how the whole booking works and promotion releases work.

So here are my options...

1- Just go for it and switch now to know that we have a room there. Then hope and pray for a minimum of 15% to come along. But what if nothing comes along? Do you think we could switch back to AoA easily?

Or

2 - Stay booked at AoA and pray that no convention comes to town take up the rooms and that everyone else doesn't take them up either. Then hope that there is room left for us when/if a promo is announced.

Ugh...What would you do? Thoughts?

The way I understand the discounts....you're better off to just book the resort you like and can afford without any promos....then if promos come out, get the promo applied and switch if necessary.

Wait. You'll be happy in either, IMO. What if no promotions happen for that week? It's not that much more, but are you willing to bet on it? And don't forget, AoA has the zero entry pool, and the over the top theming, both which are great for littles.

If you book a room at CSR you reduce your chances of getting a discount. If discounts become available then you have just as good a chance of getting that discount if you are booked in a different resort. However, if the resort you can afford at rack rate sells out of your desired room category, then you may not be able to switch back later. Do not worry about rooms selling out at the more expensive resort unless you are prepared to pay rack rate for that room.

The way discounts work is: Disney looks at how many rooms are booked at a given resort at full rate. If enough rooms are booked at full rate then no discounts will be available for that resort. Depending upon how many are already booked, then a few or many rooms can be allocated at a discount. If you have a room booked then Disney believes that that room is sold already at rack rate, so it reduces the likelihood or number of rooms that will become available for a discount.

The best strategy is to book what you want if there are no discounts, then change to what you want when you see what is available when discounts are released. That way you are covered if no discounts are available for your dates AND you do not hinder your chances of getting a desired discount at the more expensive resort.

I'd stick with AoA for now. We just got back today from CSR and we have stayed at just about every resort except for CR and WL and AOA. Although the resort was beautiful, pool great, etc. I found that it was more of a convention hotel. Lots of adults there in fact, some using inappropriate language in Pepper Market and on the busses. Did not like this at all! Also, for our boys we love the convenience of a quick food court service. I didn't like that you had a server, so we took our meal and ate outside. Also, the cafe was very unorganized because so many people want to pick up their food and go and use the refillable mug station. We really wanted to like this place so badly and if the quick service is important to you then, you may want to rethink this. By the way, bus service was great!

The way I understand the discounts....you're better off to just book the resort you like and can afford without any promos....then if promos come out, get the promo applied and switch if necessary.

But, what if the one we like and the one we can afford without paying any promos are different ones? :)

Wait. You'll be happy in either, IMO. What if no promotions happen for that week? It's not that much more, but are you willing to bet on it? And don't forget, AoA has the zero entry pool, and the over the top theming, both which are great for littles.

I know, I know. But when I see gorgeous rooms and amenities for just $66 a night more, it's hard to go back to looking at AoA. It's for the kids yes, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't for us too. It's kinda like when my husband and I made the mistake of looking at a house that had a price that was at higher end of our "comfortable" range. I fell in love with what I saw, it was amazing the difference $15,000 made, but it made our budget that much tighter.

If you book a room at CSR you reduce your chances of getting a discount. If discounts become available then you have just as good a chance of getting that discount if you are booked in a different resort. However, if the resort you can afford at rack rate sells out of your desired room category, then you may not be able to switch back later. Do not worry about rooms selling out at the more expensive resort unless you are prepared to pay rack rate for that room. The way discounts work is: Disney looks at how many rooms are booked at a given resort at full rate. If enough rooms are booked at full rate then no discounts will be available for that resort. Depending upon how many are already booked, then a few or many rooms can be allocated at a discount. If you have a room booked then Disney believes that that room is sold already at rack rate, so it reduces the likelihood or number of rooms that will become available for a discount. The best strategy is to book what you want if there are no discounts, then change to what you want when you see what is available when discounts are released. That way you are covered if no discounts are available for your dates AND you do not hinder your chances of getting a desired discount at the more expensive resort.

Thanks for explaining that! I learn so much on here, everyday it's something different and I love it. We are staying at AoA for now, but I'm itching to switch my booking to CSR. I'm such a planner, I hate knowing there's things to be worked out and I can't control when that'll happen. I'll admit, I will definitely be bummed if we end up not being able to get it.

Sent from my iPad using the DISBoards app.

Agree with staying w/AoA for now, but if you can switch, I'd do it! I was less-than-pleased during my stay at AoA, but I enjoyed CSR quite a bit! IF you can swing it, IMHO it is well worth paying extra for a preferred room at CSR.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice! I even got some private messages that were incredibly helpful!

However, I'm pretty sure I just did something bad. I opened 2 Internet browser windows and made them side by side. I pulled up AoA pics on one and CSR pics on the other and I started scrolling down to compare. And now, don't even want to stay at AoA anymore! :( I know the girls would enjoy it more, but it's just so hard to justify the price when it's a value room, basically guaranteed not to get a discount, and it's only $60ish per night to upgrade.

Ugh! Hurry up spring promos! I can't wait like this!

Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice! I even got some private messages that were incredibly helpful!

However, I'm pretty sure I just did something bad. I opened 2 Internet browser windows and made them side by side. I pulled up AoA pics on one and CSR pics on the other and I started scrolling down to compare. And now, don't even want to stay at AoA anymore! :( I know the girls would enjoy it more, but it's just so hard to justify the price when it's a value room, basically guaranteed not to get a discount, and it's only $60ish per night to upgrade.

Ugh! Hurry up spring promos! I can't wait like this!

You're making me :rotfl2: and :lmao: I know I said AoA is great for Littles, but as DH reminded me many times as I was planning this past trip - it's YOUR vacation, too. If you won't be happy there , don't do it!

You're making me :rotfl2: and :lmao: I know I said AoA is great for Littles, but as DH reminded me many times as I was planning this past trip - it's YOUR vacation, too. If you won't be happy there , don't do it!

hahahaha! I mean, it's Disney, how can you not be happy when you're there?!?!

If we end up at AoA I'll be happy but I know I'll be thinking of CSR the entire time. With the girls, they won't know what they are missing. Is that mean to say? After all, they won't even know where we are really going until we land in Orlando. And I'm sure at that point DH and I will be the coolest parents on the planet cause Hannah still thinks she needs to wait 2 more years before she's old enough to be let into Disney.

SIDE NOTE HERE: Actually, the other day Hannah asked me to make her a Disney countdown calendar, I just about choked on my cookie. Then she clarified that it would have to be a really big calendar to count down the days until she's 8 cause thats when she's allowed to go to Disney. So obviously, she has no clue whats going on around her. It's also very helpful that 1-she can't read yet and 2-my husband and I talk in code and now refer to Disney as "down south". (EDIT: I talk in code, DH just seems to moan and grunt with glazed over eyes when it comes to Disney talk. He believes I'm nuts.)

Anyways, back on topic, CSR is kinda special to us because thats where we had booked for our 5th anniversary trip and we didn't get to go because I lost my job. This time we are going back 2 weeks before our 8th anniversary, so its kinda like a make-up trip.

We're definitely being pulled towards CSR. I'm hoping DH's wallet feels the same way.

I shall be bad as well ;)

As you can see by my signature I have no issue with staying at Value resorts, just got home from 12 days at POP, and one day - when they offer a discount, I will stay at AoA. I've toured all over the property and in the suites. I ate there several times this last trip and wandered about. But ... I would pick Coronado and since you have time start filling up what we called our "Mickey Money Jar" to try to bridge the difference.

Coronado is our favorite moderate, we call it the "deluxe of the moderates". The rooms are spa like with comfy beds and duvet covers. Love the wooden door between the bedroom and bath, great for letting kids sleep while you begin to get ready. The finishes are well done and I love the ceiling fans. Apples and Oranges to come back there after a busy day. The resort is beautiful to walk around and stunning at night. The kids will LOVE the Dig Site, main pool area. It's really cool to swim beneath the giant pyramid and the slide is one of the best on property. We have never found the pool crowded and they play lots of games with the kids. There is always plenty of lounges and shade and tables. You have a playground, bathrooms and some counter service food available right there. Some of the BEST bus service we have had, picking it up close to your room and no changes until you get to the park. Your kids are going to be so excited about the parks and all that comes with it, I think coming back to a peaceful relaxing resort is just what Mom and Dad need, and they will be fine!

If you want a draw back for the LM rooms, since there was buildings already there for them they used them. Unfortunately it's a long walk to the main pool, food court and the buses. Of course it's still a great resort but that has to be factored in to those rooms so that part does not disappoint upon arrival.

Wait, what? We're supposed to pick things the kids like at WDW? I did not get that memo.

:)

I would be willing to bet you will get 30% off CSR for your dates !!! Really hope you get your CSR trip, I love that resort, we honeymooned there :)

I shall be bad as well ;)

As you can see by my signature I have no issue with staying at Value resorts, just got home from 12 days at POP, and one day - when they offer a discount, I will stay at AoA. I've toured all over the property and in the suites. I ate there several times this last trip and wandered about. But ... I would pick Coronado and since you have time start filling up what we called our "Mickey Money Jar" to try to bridge the difference.

Coronado is our favorite moderate, we call it the "deluxe of the moderates". The rooms are spa like with comfy beds and duvet covers. Love the wooden door between the bedroom and bath, great for letting kids sleep while you begin to get ready. The finishes are well done and I love the ceiling fans. Apples and Oranges to come back there after a busy day. The resort is beautiful to walk around and stunning at night. The kids will LOVE the Dig Site, main pool area. It's really cool to swim beneath the giant pyramid and the slide is one of the best on property. We have never found the pool crowded and they play lots of games with the kids. There is always plenty of lounges and shade and tables. You have a playground, bathrooms and some counter service food available right there. Some of the BEST bus service we have had, picking it up close to your room and no changes until you get to the park. Your kids are going to be so excited about the parks and all that comes with it, I think coming back to a peaceful relaxing resort is just what Mom and Dad need, and they will be fine!

If you want a draw back for the LM rooms, since there was buildings already there for them they used them. Unfortunately it's a long walk to the main pool, food court and the buses. Of course it's still a great resort but that has to be factored in to those rooms so that part does not disappoint upon arrival.

Well, you've convinced ME to stay at CSR (my favorite mod as well) instead of ASMo next year, and I wasn't even questioning my decision! Lol!

hahahaha! I mean, it's Disney, how can you not be happy when you're there?!?!

If we end up at AoA I'll be happy but I know I'll be thinking of CSR the entire time. With the girls, they won't know what they are missing. Is that mean to say? After all, they won't even know where we are really going until we land in Orlando. And I'm sure at that point DH and I will be the coolest parents on the planet cause Hannah still thinks she needs to wait 2 more years before she's old enough to be let into Disney.

SIDE NOTE HERE: Actually, the other day Hannah asked me to make her a Disney countdown calendar, I just about choked on my cookie. Then she clarified that it would have to be a really big calendar to count down the days until she's 8 cause thats when she's allowed to go to Disney. So obviously, she has no clue whats going on around her. It's also very helpful that 1-she can't read yet and 2-my husband and I talk in code and now refer to Disney as "down south". (EDIT: I talk in code, DH just seems to moan and grunt with glazed over eyes when it comes to Disney talk. He believes I'm nuts.)

Anyways, back on topic, CSR is kinda special to us because thats where we had booked for our 5th anniversary trip and we didn't get to go because I lost my job. This time we are going back 2 weeks before our 8th anniversary, so its kinda like a make-up trip.

We're definitely being pulled towards CSR. I'm hoping DH's wallet feels the same way.

I love that she thinks she has to be 8 until she can be let into the park! I think you've already made up your mind-call and switch!

I absolutely love CSR and have enjoyed all of our stays there. The rooms are, in my opinion, the best decorated of all the Mods and they feel as if they'd easily fit into a Deluxe. The landscaping and resort in general are both beautiful, the pools very enjoyable, and the entire atmosphere of the resort keeps drawing me back.

With all of that said: I'd keep your LM room at AoA for now. Those rooms are hard to come by because of their popularity and I'd hate to see you (and your girls) lose out on a LM room if a RO discount isn't offered for CSR.

I would be willing to bet you will get 30% off CSR for your dates !!! Really hope you get your CSR trip, I love that resort, we honeymooned there :)

Ohhhhh, do I like you! Yes, I like you a lot! May I ask what is it that makes you willing to bet on this?

I love that she thinks she has to be 8 until she can be let into the park! I think you've already made up your mind-call and switch!

Oh I've made up my mind! I'm waiting on Jon's wallet to make up its mind as well. I'm going to write down the numbers and show them to him. Maybe I'll put them on here too so you all can see what I'm looking at.

I absolutely love CSR and have enjoyed all of our stays there. The rooms are, in my opinion, the best decorated of all the Mods and they feel as if they'd easily fit into a Deluxe. The landscaping and resort in general are both beautiful, the pools very enjoyable, and the entire atmosphere of the resort keeps drawing me back. With all of that said: I'd keep your LM room at AoA for now. Those rooms are hard to come by because of their popularity and I'd hate to see you (and your girls) lose out on a LM room if a RO discount isn't offered for CSR.

Sooooo many people are saying those same things about CSR! It makes me want to go so bad! I think we will be staying with AoA for now, but I am getting excited and falling more and more in love with CSR each day. For me, the AoA is child-centered while CSR is child-friendly, which is perfectly fine but I'd like to put a little adult feel in our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter