Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach for early December 2019?

Disneyhanna

DIS Veteran
We are looking at doing another post-Thanksgiving Trip (probably a week long and leaving on Black Friday) and are trying to decide if we want to stay at Coronado or CB. We took a trip last year at this time and stayed at POR for the first time and really enjoyed the calmness compared to POP, where we had always stayed previously.

• Noise is one of our main complaints about POP, we love the resort but during every stay we've been surrounded by noisy young families, and there was significantly more traffic outside our door compared to at POR.
  • Our budget is around $250/night so deluxe are out of our price range.
  • We travel exclusively by bus and liked that stops were completely covered at POR, and that there was seating while waiting since there were no corrals.
  • We enjoyed POR but do like the appeal of refurbished resorts, which is why we're leaning towards trying out Coronado or CB. I haven't done a lot of research but I believe Coronado recently had rooms refurbed. Are CB rooms new as well, or was their refurb just amenities?
  • We really did like the new beds at the refurbed POP...the POR beds were a little lumpy and felt their age. We liked the POR rooms enough but definitely would prefer the more modernized rooms with more outlets and nicer TVs.
  • We probably won't spend much/any time at the pool but do like a good cafeteria since we sometimes eat dinner at the resort while resting, or lunch if we take a mid-day break.
  • Theming isn't a huge deal for us, we stay on property purely for the transportation convenience (no rental car for us).
  • We spend most of our time at MK, followed by MK.
  • Less walking is a plus, we prefer if we can get from the bus/dining to our room in under 10 minutes. I know all the moderates are pretty big but not sure if there's a significant difference between the two resorts for this.
If anyone has any advice on which resort based on some of these notes, it is much appreciated!

Also, does anyone think there will be any room discounts coming out later for this time? I know Star Wars could draw a lot of crowds which is why I'm hesitant to wait too long to book. We easily found a room at POR for a good discount only two months out last year, but I'm sure Star Wars may affect those chances this year...might be safer to book soon and then cross fingers we can get a discount later on, if we're lucky?

Thanks again in advance!

I'm going to make a suggestion based on a few of your points:

1. If you're looking for "Calmness compared to Pop" and you're looking in the moderate range, the Port Orleans resorts are your go-to. It's the most serene vibe. CBR AND CSR are also much larger.
2. If you mostly take the bus, then the port Orleans resorts are going to be the best bet. Again, CBR and CSR are bigger resorts (Especially CBR).
3. Same goes for less walking.

Not trying to put you off of those two resorts. You'll have a great time regardless, but I just want to help you get the most out of your trip!

I'm going to make a suggestion based on a few of your points:

1. If you're looking for "Calmness compared to Pop" and you're looking in the moderate range, the Port Orleans resorts are your go-to. It's the most serene vibe. CBR AND CSR are also much larger.
2. If you mostly take the bus, then the port Orleans resorts are going to be the best bet. Again, CBR and CSR are bigger resorts (Especially CBR).
3. Same goes for less walking.

Not trying to put you off of those two resorts. You'll have a great time regardless, but I just want to help you get the most out of your trip!

Thank you for the reply! I've never set foot at any moderate other than POR or POFQ, and it's hard to get the "vibes" from pictures and reviews on the internet. Definitely good to know that one of the PO resorts may be our best bet to stick to then, since calmness is one of our main asks!

Thank you for the reply! I've never set foot at any moderate other than POR or POFQ, and it's hard to get the "vibes" from pictures and reviews on the internet. Definitely good to know that one of the PO resorts may be our best bet to stick to then, since calmness is one of our main asks!

I also meant to state that POFQ got a renovation last year. Nothing major. https://www.disneytouristblog.com/refurbished-rooms-port-orleans-french-quarter/. You need to scroll down a bit for the pictures.

Also, the boats to Disney Springs are the best part.

I also meant to state that POFQ got a renovation last year. Nothing major. https://www.disneytouristblog.com/refurbished-rooms-port-orleans-french-quarter/. You need to scroll down a bit for the pictures.

Also, the boats to Disney Springs are the best part.

Oh nice, I didn't realize their rooms were refurbed. If there isn't a great chance at a November room discount for POR, POFQ may be cheaper than POR for us anyways. They definitely got the TV upgrade and I like the hardwood floors...the only issue is I may have trouble resisting the beignets every day! :p

Have you considered one of the brand new tower rooms at Coronado Springs? You would definitely get the “new” factor, and would likely be next to convention goers versus many families. You would have much less walking to get to a separate building since you would be in the same building as check in, restaurants, and a bus stop. Price is not too high, so at least look into it! We love Coronado

Have you considered one of the brand new tower rooms at Coronado Springs? You would definitely get the “new” factor, and would likely be next to convention goers versus many families. You would have much less walking to get to a separate building since you would be in the same building as check in, restaurants, and a bus stop. Price is not too high, so at least look into it! We love Coronado

This would definitely be my first choice if they add a resort discount (not sure of the likelihood). Right now I think the rates are $290/night before taxes for the time we are looking at, which is a bit steep for us. We love inside entrances and more traditional hotels so I will for sure be keeping my eye on rates in case the price goes down. The mock-up pictures are very beautiful for the tower so if not this trip, maybe another time!

We stayed at CSR in April- we liked the refurbed rooms and the grounds. We had a room in Casitas and used bus stop 2- the first stop for buses heading to parks. The other stops before leaving the resort grounds never felt very long, no complaint there. We did not eat in the Pepper Market (has a new name now) except for a couple of breakfasts and late night snacks- it was fine for our needs. More important to me was the pleasant stroll through greenery and fountains to grab iced coffee from Cafe Rix 8-) I haven't stayed at CBR..so I can't compare. I would happily stay at CSR again :-)

Our family loves all of the Mod resorts and find they offer everything we need for usually $200 a night less then a deluxe. Our favorite is POFQ, but like I said we would not hesitate to stay at any of them. POFQ is the smallest resort of all of WDW resorts, POR and CSR are almost identical in size and then CBR is the largest with 5 bus stops total. CSR rooms were just refurbed last year, CBR rooms have not, but they had their lobby and the main food area totally re-done. So, just based on rooms I would pick CSR, but this may or may not sway your decision:laughing: but by then the Skyway should be running and CBR is a hub for it.

I felt the calm/quiet vibe at CSR, and this was during spring break last year. The bus stops were also great, with buses always half full (again, this was during spring break). The only thing we didn't care for was the food court. That's not stopping us from staying there again for 5 nights in Dec 2019, but it definitely is going to make us eat "out" for every meal except breakfast.

I think that between the two choices I would look ar CSR> I liked CBR, however my family did not at all. Both resorts are large and fairly spread out, so I feel that you are even on that end. Busses were fine at both, but I booked a preferred room at CBR. I did nto want to rely on the internal system for meals, or coffee in the morning. I found the distance manageable at CSR. Transportation there was very good.

I think that if you want quieter surroundings, CSR will give you that as well becuase IMO it is not as appealing to the younger set, so maybe th enoise level is lower. It just feels more adult to me.

If you can get a tower room, that might be nice, but if you cannot I still think that CSR does answer more of your preferences than CBR.

CB should have the gondolas running by then. CB would me my first choice. We’ve stayed at Coronado and enjoyed it a lot, but I think my second choice would be FQ.

The only one I haven't stayed at yet is CBR, but the plan to is in the works. Their rooms have had refurbishments. New everything, except maybe the flooring? CSR is very nice and we found it very peaceful even during Easter week. POFQ is small and relaxing. POR is beautiful, but the main building feels hectic to me in comparison to CSR and FQ. The food court always seems loud and busy and the hall that stems from that to the check-in also hosts Boatwright's waiting to be seated area.
I've had stellar and awful bus service at every resort we've tried.

Our family loves all of the Mod resorts and find they offer everything we need for usually $200 a night less then a deluxe. Our favorite is POFQ, but like I said we would not hesitate to stay at any of them. POFQ is the smallest resort of all of WDW resorts, POR and CSR are almost identical in size and then CBR is the largest with 5 bus stops total. CSR rooms were just refurbed last year, CBR rooms have not, but they had their lobby and the main food area totally re-done. So, just based on rooms I would pick CSR, but this may or may not sway your decision:laughing: but by then the Skyway should be running and CBR is a hub for it.

CBR rooms were refreshed sometime in 2017 I think. They have a very similar feel to the updated CSR rooms, but have carpet and not fake hardwood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter