Coral Reef

fly girl

DIS Veteran
Coral Reef has never really been on my radar. I have read so many negative reviews, and Epcot has so many great places to dine that I never gave it any consideration.

Until now . . .

I was late to the game for booking ADR's and of course I am keeping my eye out especially as the date nears, but since this was the only Epcot restaurant I could get for a dinner at a normal hour I want to see what fellow Dis-ers have to say about it. Yes, my family all enjoys seafood so that isn't a concern.

I saw the Dis Unplugged video back in late 2019 where they were pleased with their meals, but having others opinions -- especially recent visits -- would be much appreciated. (I am very disappointed they don't have the mushroom salad on the menu anymore. That looked very interesting.)

Last edited:
We've been twice and hated it both times. Admittedly I haven't been in a few years but it was bad enough I doubt we'll ever go back. Service was fine but all the lobster was overcooked and tasted like rubber. One of the steaks we ordered was burnt so badly the manager made the chef come to our table to apologize. It's a shame because the place is really beautiful inside. With this being in Epcot I think there are a lot places there that deserve your money over Coral Reef.

We went once in 2019 (Pre-Covid) and it was great -- we went in Nov 2020 and it was still very good, but only had 4-5 different entrees on the menu which was probably half (or less?) than the number of entrees in 2019.

So just check the current menu and see what you think, and if you go I hope you enjoy it!

I think the theme of the restaurant with the aquarium as the highlight makes up for the potential lack of quality of the meal. I’ve had great dishes and ok dishes here. We haven’t been during COVID but I’ve gone a couple of times within the last couple years and have always been happy that we dined there.

It is one of my favorites! I love the atmosphere and the mahI...I’ve tried some other things but have not liked them as well as the mahi...but food choice is so persona...try it for the atmosphere and see if you can find something you like! (I recommend the mahi) 😜

I had the shrimp and grits and while it didn't blow me away like Grand Floridian Cafe, it was good on it's own merits. I would say our dinner was decent. The service was excellent, and the view was fantastic. Loved seeing the scuba divers go by, though I'm sure that's on hold right now with the pandemic. Still fun seeing the sea life swim past!

We’ve been twice, a few years apart, and the food was very disappointing both times. Given the huge number of World Showcase restaurants, all of which we love, using up a meal to try Coral Reef again would be a very difficult decision.

I ate at Coral Reef in August 2018, and had the shrimp & grits. Now, I'm a northerner, so grits are definitely out of my wheelhouse, but I was blown away by the flavors! I enjoyed it a lot!

It's been ok. Definitely love the atmosphere! As a vegetarian, they've had some good things and some really terrible things that I couldn't eat, literally (I'm allergic to mushrooms and their entree was a portobello "steak"). They had a chef come talk to me and he basically said he could give me pasta. It was really gross. Usually when a chef comes and does something "off-menu", it's been the best thing from that restaurant. We are skipping it this trip due to the very small menu--not a great sign in my book.

Epcot is a favorite for my family, so often we go for 2 days. We go to a WS restaurant one day and Coral Reef the other day. The last time we were there I had the Lobster Bisque and then the Shrimp & Grits for my entree. They were both good solid meal choices. I generally get a mixed drink here as well. The atmosphere is great! And on a hot day it's very soothing to relax and see the sea life in the aquarium.

Epcot and The Coral Reef is always a first-day stop for my DH and I. The menu now is much smaller than pre-Covid, but we each order the lobster bisque and a caeser salad, usually asks for more bread, and round it out with something cool and tall to drink. The atmosphere with the sea life and lower lighting are a nice alternative to the Florida heat.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Definitely a mixed bag of answers. I will keep it for now, but no doubt I am going to keep checking for something else.

The menu selection right now is very small. Understandable, but I think we can all find something to eat. For the price point I don't expect to be blown away, but I also want a meal that I don't feel ripped off (Disney ripped off ... because we know the prices to begin with are high).

It is one of my favorites! I love the atmosphere and the mahI...I’ve tried some other things but have not liked them as well as the mahi...but food choice is so persona...try it for the atmosphere and see if you can find something you like! (I recommend the mahi) 😜

So you are saying if I do go, just get anything but the Mahi. You are not a big fan of it. :rotfl2:

We were just there last week and had a very good dinner! It's a fave of my DS, and our server was excellent. Mahi was great!

We've eaten there many times, most recently on Sunday January 31st. It was our last TS meal of the weekend and by far the best. We split the lobster bisque as an ap and it was delicious. Not as good as Le Chefs but still good. DH got his usual shrimp and grits and I got the mahi, both were excellent.

My last 2 visits to Coral Reef (July 2020, July 2018) I have been THRILLED with my meal, as has the rest of my party (my parents, wife, son and daughter). I had a mahi mahi dish, and while I’m not really a seafood guy, it was the best seafood entree I’ve had in years.

Have had a couple of decent meals there, definite aquarium makes the atmosphere. Food is consistent, not blown away but never had a "bad" meal there.

We went for lunch during both of our trips in 2018 and 2019 and would have gone back if our 2020 trip hadn't been cancelled. I really love the atmosphere - it's so calm and soothing with the aquarium and feels like a real break from the parks. We've always had good service and good food so we've been fortunate. My kids love it too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter