• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Copying PS2 games?

Girls Scout Leader

<font color="red">Brave And Fearless Leader Willin
ok, I'm not looking for legal advice, but I am wondering if it's the same technology to burn music CD's as it would be to copy a Play Station 2 gane? or PS1?
I will not get anyone into trouble by asking if you have done this, but do you know if anyone has done this?

A friend of mine tried it with a PS1 game and the only thing that copied was the music.

You can copy the games, but you need a special chip in your PS1 to play the copied games...My friend had it done...:)

It may be against the Girl Scout Law....

I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to
respect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place,
and be a sister to every Girl Scout.

Our old neighbor is into the copying of games ( PS1 that is). The chip can be put into the PS1 system at the store for around $50.00 ( in that area anyway). The chip itself sold over the counter for around $25.00. Without the chip they don't play. Burning process is the same as a music cd - to my limited knowledge, a CD burner is needed on your computer. I haven't hear anything about being able to burn PS2 games, but we moved away so the technology may be out and I just don't know it.

It can be done. My friend actually got one... you just have this chip installed for like a hundred bucks. Just download games from the net and burn them onto a CD. Only problem is, you sometimes need a bootable CD (i.e Gameshark) to start and then you swap it with a burned game. It's tedious.

Actually the XBox can have burned games too.... actually download games onto a harddrive and install it into the Xbox. Not certain how it's down though.

just for the record, you're advocating an illegal activity on this board..don't want to get the DIS folks in trouble!!!!

It can be done, but considering the time, effort, and money you need to spend in order to do it, you're much better off just buying the thing.

The cd's and games are becoming more and more expensive partly because people keep making illegal copies.

As a lawyer, I would not advocate doing this.

I knew I was going to get into trouble for asking this, and so lets get somethings straight.

1. I never said I was contemplating this. I don't even own a PS1, PS2, or any other game system. What games my kids do play are on the PC.

2. Gepetto: as a leader for 9 years, I am well aware of the Girl Scout Law. Now everyone is, too. I do not intend to break this or encourage my girls to.

3. And don't tell me some of you have never done anything like this, wether you admit it or not. Ever copy a video tape? Used Napster or Kazaa? Whay eles do you have a burner? Please....:rolleyes:

4. This was just a general "throw it out there" question to satisfy a question a young friend who is learning about computers had.

Sorry to cause a legal uproar.....

Computer manufacturers do not install cd rw drives in order for you to illegally copy materially. Whether or not you do is irrelevant to their purpose, which is a better way to save/copy files. We burn pictures and save files on cd with our burner.

People, and this site, can get potentially in big trouble if they advocated copying PS games.
You did get some good responses to your question. shouldn't you be happy with that?

If I had a young friend who was thinking of engaging in an illegal activity I would discourage them.......not get them info on how to do it. :(

3. And don't tell me some of you have never done anything like this, wether you admit it or not. Ever copy a video tape? Used Napster or Kazaa? Whay eles do you have a burner? Please....
:rolleyes:

Um, sorry haven't done any of these things.

Try again.

I read the Good Book--it says thou shalt not steal and I consider this stealing.

Originally posted by Girls Scout Leader
I knew I was going to get into trouble for asking this, and so lets get somethings straight.

3. And don't tell me some of you have never done anything like this, wether you admit it or not. Ever copy a video tape? Used Napster or Kazaa? Whay eles do you have a burner? Please....:rolleyes:

I used to tape albums for friends when I was young, but I stopped a when I realized it was stealing. As software developer who has had his stuff pirated in the past, I can tell you that this sort of activity reall;y does damage the companys that makes these products and raises prices for every on. I know many people in the game industry, and they tell me that their companies are loosing huge amount of due to this type of game piracy.

CD burners are for backing up data. The are not for the redistribution of copywrited material. I do use them to back up my audio CD's, but only for my own personal use. This prevents me from loosing the original due to heat damage in my truck (the Texas sun can and does melt CDs). I do not make copies to give to friends and family.

I am not trying to jump on Girl Scoot Leader specifically, but I just have to speak up when this kind of question comes up. I have personally lost money due to software piracy in the past. Many of my friends in the computer game industry are still losing money becuase of this. Please folks, don't support this kind of activity. Unless you are using the copies as personal backups, its theft, pure and simple.

Since you aren't asking how it isn't illegal to talk about it:

Yes you can copy PS2 games. No it isn't the same method as burning a CD of Music.

Yes there has been a way to copy Xbox Games. I have seen the video of it.

No you cannot copy GameCube Games. There was a video on this as well but I am pretty sure it was false.

CD's hold 650 MB of data.

GameCube discs hold around 2.3 GB of data.

You can't purchase what you need to copy it on yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter