Cool stuff to do at resorts?

Goseethemouse

Mouseketeer
I may have several no park days during my upcoming late May/early June trip and was wondering what fun activities there are at the various Disney resorts as a non-hotel guest? I will be travelling solo so not really looking for family activities.

We always resort hop. We are usually there during a holiday time - Halloween, Easter, Christmas. We love to look at the various displays some resorts put on. GF. Monorail to Contemporary and Poly (some dole whip).

Many times we have a meal at a different resort. We like to visit AKL - stroll around the resort, a drink, meal, see the animals in the Savanna. I did take the Boma/Jiko tour years ago. Not sure if this is still offered.

The Boardwalk area in the evening. Stroll, meal, ice cream, drink, browse the shops and watch the entertainment.

Top of the World Lounge is also another option in the evening at Bay Lake.

Of course there is DS - but you mentioned resorts :). I have done two non-park trips.

I may have several no park days during my upcoming late May/early June trip and was wondering what fun activities there are at the various Disney resorts as a non-hotel guest? I will be travelling solo so not really looking for family activities.
Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, Jelly Rolls dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk, take boat from Dis Springs to a resort for lunch, stroll, rent a bike, Fort wilderness has horse back riding, Cirque du Soleile Drawn to Life at DS, AKL Boma and explore resort, visit animals. In evening there is a fire with chairs and there are night vision goggles you can borrow to watch animals, go to a resort spa, go to the arcade at Contemporary, watch fireworks from Poly beach and check calendar for other events.

Wilderness Lodge has a very interesting tour at 9am on weekdays. It lasts about an hour and you don't have to register ahead of time. Just show up in the lobby by the large fireplace. :)

Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian

Afternoon tea hasn’t returned to GF & there’s been no announcement about when or if it will.

OP, many resorts have arts & craft activities. Some are at the pool so may be for resort guests only but some are in other areas of the hotel & are open to anyone. They do cost extra however. All resorts have “Movies Under the Stars” that anyone can watch. This thread has the monthly activity calendars for all the different resorts. Examples: Riviera has a Skyliner scavenger hunt, GF has Paint your Disney Story ($), Y & B have recently restarted their Run / Walk around the lake.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/unread

Last edited:
Afternoon tea hasn’t returned to GF & there’s been no announcement about when or if it will.

OP, many resorts have arts & craft activities. Some are at the pool so may be for resort guests only but some are in other areas of the hotel & are open to anyone. They do cost extra however. All resorts have “Movies Under the Stars” that anyone can watch. This thread has the monthly calendars for all the different resorts.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/unread
Oh no. I planned to go next month

Wilderness Lodge has a very interesting tour at 9am on weekdays. It lasts about an hour and you don't have to register ahead of time. Just show up in the lobby by the large fireplace. :)
Is this recent? Years ago, maybe 8-10, I asked about a tour and was told only guests of the resort. Can you do this tour with a scooter?

Is this recent? Years ago, maybe 8-10, I asked about a tour and was told only guests of the resort. Can you do this tour with a scooter?
I saw the tour in the lobby when we were there a few months ago. You should be able to do the tour on a scooter since it stays on the main floors of the two buildings. Anyone can take the tour, even people who aren't staying at the resort. :)

Oh no. I planned to go next month

Sorry, you know there’s construction going on at GF? The main building hasn’t been done yet but may be starting in the next month or 2. Lots of people are hoping GF Tea & 1900 Park Faire will reopen after the renovations. Both were so popular before & are really missed.

Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, Jelly Rolls dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk, take boat from Dis Springs to a resort for lunch, stroll, rent a bike, Fort wilderness has horse back riding, Cirque du Soleile Drawn to Life at DS, AKL Boma and explore resort, visit animals. In evening there is a fire with chairs and there are night vision goggles you can borrow to watch animals, go to a resort spa, go to the arcade at Contemporary, watch fireworks from Poly beach and check calendar for other events.
Does AKL still have night vision goggles?

At most of the activities, they don't check to see who's staying at the resort. I often go solo, and I like to spend a lot of time doing resort activities. I'd recommend checking the resort recreation activities sheets before you go to see what you might want to do. Animal Kingdom Lodge has some interesting things. I love the lobby tours, and in the early evenings, the CMs from African countries give 1/2 hour presentations on their countries. Sadly, some of the activities were discontinued with COVID and haven't come back. For instance, there were tours of Sanaa, Boma, and Jiko where they showed some of the reasoning behind certain architectural elements, and served little samples of food spiced with common spices from Africa. But about staying at the resort again, I do remember the stories at the fire-pit once, and afterwards, this one family was trying to figure out "How do you think the best way would be to get back to the Caribbean Beach now?"

Go over to the Animal Kingdom Resort, take a book with you and grab a rocker in front of the fireplace and just relax. So peaceful.

Looks like your trip might be over for now, but I often make good use of my rest days when I am at DW. I also have a vacation planned in February 2024 where I will be at the OKW for 4 days and no parks. I plan on doing some of the more exciting things that aren't in the parks. Hoop Dee Doo Review, Storybook dining with characters, ride the horses, Minnie Golf next to Swan and Dolphin, walk around or ride bikes at the boardwalk. Hit the pool. These are things I normally try to fit in on my down days. Hope you found some fun things to do while you were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter