Cooking shows - competitions

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Does America have anything like our "Master Chef" show? 32 cooks go in, cook against each other, in front of critics, in Michelin Star restaurants and so on, until one proves victorious. I'm binge watching the "Professinals" series and I find it nerve-wracking - and delicious!

Does America have anything like our "Master Chef" show? 32 cooks go in, cook against each other, in front of critics, in Michelin Star restaurants and so on, until one proves victorious. I'm binge watching the "Professinals" series and I find it nerve-wracking - and delicious!
Our Master Chef is amateurs cooking for judges with usually 1 eliminated per show. There have been myriad other competition shows over the years.

I love a lot of the cooking competition shows on Food Network and recently started getting into Master Chef. I also like Next Level Chef and Crime Scene Kitchen.

Yes, many, including our own version of the Great British Baking Show called, wait for it...The Great Canadian Baking Show. :goodvibes

There are several and don't like any of them. Contestants race around to cook/bake/prepare something and it is more like watching a game show then a cooking program. I still like cooking shows where the host makes something, explains what/how they do it and usually provides the recipe online so viewers can duplicate the recipe at home.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that with some of these cooking shows the contestants are given the menu ahead of time so as to plan/practice how to make it. They try to give the impression they are all spontaneous competitions and I doubt that to be the case.

I really wish they would bring the cooking and cocktail events to Food & Wine. You would watch a chef or bar tender make a dish or cocktail and be able to taste the results. They were paid and ticketed events, so never too crowded.

There are several and don't like any of them. Contestants race around to cook/bake/prepare something and it is more like watching a game show then a cooking program. I still like cooking shows where the host makes something, explains what/how they do it and usually provides the recipe online so viewers can duplicate the recipe at home.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that with some of these cooking shows the contestants are given the menu ahead of time so as to plan/practice how to make it. They try to give the impression they are all spontaneous competitions and I doubt that to be the case.
I know in Master Chef, the cooks are given a training session before each challenge. Not a single one of them would know how to make a donut otherwise. Obviously as the years went on everyone knows now you'd better practice making a souffle because there WILL be such a challenge. As for several finales on various shows where the chef cooks a menu, yes, the menu is known ahead of time so they can get the ingredients the chef wants there.

Top Chef for sure.
If you like "mean," Cut Throat Kitchen is a good time - they auction off challenges/handicaps/difficulties that the chefs buy in order to inflict upon their opponents. Stuff like making the other chef cook in a child size kitchen or with a wok that has been run over by a truck, or use shredded chicken in order to make chicken cordon blue.

One of the only Guy Fieri shows I like is Tournament of Champions on Food Network. It is my favorite non-baking competition show on Food Network. I really enjoy the XXXX Baking Championship shows. However, Top Chef will always be number 1 for me. IT should be interesting now that Padma is gone. I think Kirsten(sp?) will make for a good host.

I know in Master Chef, the cooks are given a training session before each challenge. Not a single one of them would know how to make a donut otherwise. Obviously as the years went on everyone knows now you'd better practice making a souffle because there WILL be such a challenge. As for several finales on various shows where the chef cooks a menu, yes, the menu is known ahead of time so they can get the ingredients the chef wants there.
That's why I like the "Professionals" series - in theory, the chefs all know what they are doing, having come from a background of fine food. It's actually quite fun, if a little stressful - it's when the judges should "60 SECONDS!!1!1!1" that things go into overdrive!

I like the Great British Baking Show. It's a competition, for a crystal cake plate. No giant cash prizes, and hopefully the contestants really do get along as well as TV leads us to believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter