cooking pork butt-time????

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
I will be making 25lbs of porkbutt for carnita tacos. I found the perfect recipe and tried it out but it was only for a 5lb.

The recipe calls to cook it ina cooking bag in the oven @ 350 for 2hrs then open bag remove juices and cook for another 1hr with bag open.

Now I'll probably cook 2- 6lb porkbutts in a bag and will use two bag so 2bags and 4 pieces of porkbutt.

My question -Do i still cook it at the same amount or do i need to add more time since oven will be full? If anyone has any advice PLEASE let me know. This will be for a party and i'll be making taqueria style pork tacos. I would hate for people to get sick.

Heres the recipe scroll to the bottom section where it shows the bag recipe.
http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2009/08/how-to-make-pork-carnitas.html

oh and will 25lbs be enough for 50-75 people ? The tacos are the mini tortillas. Thanks

I've never cooked it like this (or this quantity:scared1:) but I think its the 2 pieces per bag which is as much of an issue as the oven being full - its all about the heat getting to the centre.

Could you check it with a meat thermometer?

Or could you borrow a load of large crockpots and do it like that? (That would be my choice since its pretty hard to overcook meat in the crockpot;) )

Sorry i can't be more precise:sad2:

If it was me, I wouldn't attempt cooking this particular recipe all at the same time. I haven't made carnitas before, but it sounds to me like the meat needs to be kind of spread out a bit, not packed into the bag. Think of what a 24 or 25 lb. turkey would look like in your oven. Your oven might not be large enough. She used 2 lbs. of meat, while you're using 24 lbs., give or take. You would be multiplying the recipe by 12. I would do it in several batches. If you really wanted to do it all at the same time, I'd add time to it, but I don't know how much. If you had freezer space (or a friend's freezer space that you could borrow) you could freeze the cooked meat ahead of time. You could thaw it beforehand and then reheat it just before your party.

She said 1/3 lb. was a main dish serving. Whether you have enough depends partly on how you are serving it. Are you using it as a main dish or as an appetizer? Are you going to fill the tacos ahead of time? Or are you having a buffet? You would probably want to have more meat if it's a buffet.

It sounds like an interesting recipe. I hope your party turns out great!

VickiV

Here's what the tacos will look like (like the taco in the middle pork). The tacos are not the regular corn tortillas but the mini ones , you put two together then the meat and toppings. Tacos will be served with side of beans and rice.
The first round will be served in an asembly line. Then once everyone has been served, I'll leave it set it up as a buffet. We will also have chips and salsa on all the tables, a crockpot full of nacho cheese for nachos. We've been to parties like this but they pay a tacoman which cost arount $400-$500 for 75 people . This will cost me about $100 or less.

http://nomadiknation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/mexican-tacos.jpg

doesn anyone have a salsa recipe that looks like the one in the photo?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter