• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Convince me on Castaway Cay

Disney mac

Mouseketeer
Please help me out here. We are going on our second Disney cruise in June. Everyone seems to rave about Castaway. We were on a Christmas cruise a year ago and thought Castaway was just awful, and I mean BAD. Now it could have to do with the boat not docking until later, no food or drink on island, no excursions, my sons getting bit by sea lice, and no snorkeling allowed with my own equipment. It was about the worst travel experience I’ve ever had. We are 50/50 at getting off the boat this time. But when I talk to people, they just rave about Castaway (I’ve seriously had a student of mine call me a liar).
So I’m asking for some help please. What is it about castaway that people like?
Thanks. I’m trying to figure out because I have my chance at booking excursions soon and I want to make the experience more pleasant for my two boys (10 and 8).

Your experience is not typical. And the odds are pretty slim that your experience will repeat itself. I just think it’s the most beautiful relaxing place I’ve ever been. You will be fine and if it’s not your thing go back to the ship and grab a seat in the near empty hot tub.

Please help me out here. We are going on our second Disney cruise in June. Everyone seems to rave about Castaway. We were on a Christmas cruise a year ago and thought Castaway was just awful, and I mean BAD. Now it could have to do with the boat not docking until later, no food or drink on island, no excursions, my sons getting bit by sea lice, and no snorkeling allowed with my own equipment. It was about the worst travel experience I’ve ever had. We are 50/50 at getting off the boat this time. But when I talk to people, they just rave about Castaway (I’ve seriously had a student of mine call me a liar).
Thanks. I’m trying to figure out because I have my chance at booking excursions soon and I want to make the experience more pleasant for my two boys (10 and 8).
Sounds like you just had a bad experience. Why not just try again? It sounds like most of your complaints stem from docking late (no food/drink, excursions). They make repellent for sea lice that you can buy cheaper before the cruise to prevent that from happening again. Not sure about the snorkel, usually they let you use your own equipment.

Sounds like you just had a bad experience. Why not just try again? It sounds like most of your complaints stem from docking late (no food/drink, excursions). They make repellent for sea lice that you can buy cheaper before the cruise to prevent that from happening again. Not sure about the snorkel, usually they let you use your own equipment.
Thanks. We are. It took me months to convince my wife to book another Disney cruise and try again. We actually used that repellant and still everyone was getting stung and had to be sprayed with vinegar. Lifeguards told us the kids slides are where they live and it’s often like that. As for the snorkeling, they wouldn’t even let us in the water.
Oh well. Any excursions/thoughts on what to try to do on island is more what I’m looking for. We obviously didn’t experience castaway at all. I just want to put better memories into my families heads.

It really does suck when you have to dock late. That happened to us once and it was so disappointing not having lunch on the island. We don't usually do any excursions and do not snorkel but I have always been under the impression you could use your own equipment except you had to use the vest provided by DCL. I may be wrong. We live by the beach but we still love Castaway Cay. We have rented bikes which is a lot of fun. I think the island is absolutely beautiful. I love the Bahamian music playing, the clear water and just sitting on the beach and seeing the ship in the distance. My DD16 prefers to spend much of the day on the ship but she does the 5K and gets back off the ship to eat at Cookies and shop. The weather can also affect the experience. Also, when you get to the Family Beach keep going and you will find it much less crowded the further you walk. We did rent a Cabana on one cruise. Omg it is so expensive (we were able to split it 3 ways) but it was an amazing experience if you are able to do it. There are also plenty of sports activities; basketball, foosball, billiards, table tennis, etc. Plus, the water slides are fun if your kids are up for it. Serenity Bay is awesome if you can manage some adult time.

Thanks. We are. It took me months to convince my wife to book another Disney cruise and try again. We actually used that repellant and still everyone was getting stung and had to be sprayed with vinegar. Lifeguards told us the kids slides are where they live and it’s often like that. As for the snorkeling, they wouldn’t even let us in the water.
Oh well. Any excursions/thoughts on what to try to do on island is more what I’m looking for. We obviously didn’t experience castaway at all. I just want to put better memories into my families heads.
I’d definitely try snorkeling again. Not sure if any of you are runners but you could try the 5k (free, although it will be hot), or rent bikes and tour the island. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do!

You can use your own equipment but you have to use it in the designated snorkel area....not just anywhere. I would definitely try it again and can't imagine how even a not so good day at CC could be considered the worst travel experience ever but I realize each family views expectations to actual experience differently. We have actually missed being able to dock a few times and I would still not categorize it as the worst travel experience.

Maybe we are lucky but I have been to CC dozens of times and never experienced sea lice (I have been there in all different months) but could see how that would put a damper on things.

Give it another try.....hopefully this time things will be different.

MJ

Do you have snorkel vests? Even with your own equipment, they still make you borrow (rent) a snorkel vest if you don't have your own. No snorkeling without assisted floatation.

I bought my dad a vest after our first Castaway Cay experience; he now uses it everywhere he snorkels, even if there's no one making him. It makes me feel better, and he's easy to spot (since it is fluorescent yellow).

Castaway Cay is nice and I like it, but I've spent most of my time on the adult beach. There usually are some "excursions" available, so it's likely the late docking affected your experience more than it might have seemed. I'm a bit disappointed that the lunch they serve has such limited hours. It's not that I need to graze all day, but I hate having to keep close track of time when I'm out just relaxing at the beach, but I've never been on the island when they didn't serve lunch.

We've had a few things go wrong on the past. Once the ship guest check in system was down, which created long lines when re-boarding the ship. They were trying to keep track of who came on board without any computer system. Another sailing the ship docked a bit later so they cancelled the formal 5k but left the markers out for those who wanted to do it on their own.

I don't condemn anything based on one visit.
Sounds like your visit was not the norm; in that the ship docked late and that caused a domino affect for many of the other activities. We have brought our own masks and snorkels several times using their fins and vests. As was stated by other posters, you are required to wear an inflatable vest and to snorkel in the designated area only. One of the things my family has fun doing is renting a bicycle and riding around the island. Of the several visits to CC we have only done one excursion, if I remember correctly it was the Nature Hike and Kayak many years ago. Had a very good time on that one.

Now we rent the bikes, ride to the tower and climb to the top for some pictures and riding all the bike paths, hit the beach with a drink in our hand, shop, snorkel, eat. Not necessarily in that order! Of all our visits to CC we have had only one trip cancelled due to strong winds. This was back in 2011 during the west bound Panama Canal trip. Very disappointed to have missed the island.

Hopefully the second visit is a Charm pixiedust: You can always return to the ship if you don't enjoy the island, not everyone does and will stay on the ship.

I am sorry, I can't. We find Castaway Cay overrated and normally book itineraries that do not include it (or the Bahamas or Caribbean for that matter - we aren't beach people). If you have a Castaway Cay day, that is the best time to stay on the ship and enjoy it without a crowd. The only reason we leave the ship at Castaway Cay is to parasail and then it is back on.

If you didn't enjoy your CC experience, I suggest either not getting off of the ship or avoiding cruises that stop there altogether. Not everyone like CC or beaches in general. It's a large beach. I happen to love CC, but I doubt I would love it if my first experience was your first experience. I bet Mrs. Lincoln avoided Ford's Theater after her husband got shot there.

CC is one of my favorite places - and I grew up near the beach in Florida. I have been on three different fishing excursions and even lucked into booking a cabana on Serenity Beach. That trip I was one of the first off the ship and one of the last back on. Of course, it is not for everyone and weather can ruin paradise. Our next cruise is our first during hurricane season, so I would not be surprised if we have bad weather.

I am sorry, I can't. We find Castaway Cay overrated and normally book itineraries that do not include it (or the Bahamas or Caribbean for that matter - we aren't beach people). If you have a Castaway Cay day, that is the best time to stay on the ship and enjoy it without a crowd. The only reason we leave the ship at Castaway Cay is to parasail and then it is back on.
How long is the parasail? That’s the kind of excursion I think my boys would like. Anyone have any info on that or other excursions that are recommended would be appreciated and help me convince my wife. :)

It sounds like you got hit with the proverbial perfect storm of bad things on that day, and I can definitely see how that would sour you on Castaway. But like some of the others, I do advocate giving it another go, as it is a rather lovely place under the expected conditions.

This makes sense. CC (or any of the cruise lines' private islands/peninsulas) is at the core a prepaid beach day. If you're not into beaches then it's kind of a waste.

It's beautiful and peaceful and safe. That's the attraction, basically.

I recommend avoiding CC excursions and just enjoying the island at your own pace. Renting bikes and riding around the island is my favorite activity, while watersliding at Pelican Plunge is my son's favorite activity. Riding Aqua trikes was a bit of work but enjoyable, too.

No food or drink on the island? They have a complimentary lunch buffet, soda station and ice cream station. We've been at Castaway during three different Christmas vacations and never encountered bad weather or sea lice. I think your first experience was bad luck in regards to both.

No need to get up early and line up with masses of people to enjoy CC. We like to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast, enjoy the almost-empty pool deck & slides on the ship for a while, then hit the island for lunch & a fun yet relaxing afternoon. This timing works in winter, when there is minimal chance of rain, but I don't recommend it in the summer, when you can expect rain every afternoon.

Last edited:
How long is the parasail? That’s the kind of excursion I think my boys would like. Anyone have any info on that or other excursions that are recommended would be appreciated and help me convince my wife

I believe it's around an hour or hour and a half or so, and **warning** can be cancelled for weather. Before you go out on the boat, you get a short safety briefing and sign waivers. Then maybe 10 or 12 people board the boat and then 2 by 2, start going up...probably for around 5 minutes or so a pair. Then the next pair and so on. It is a neat experience...there's something about flying through the air, looking down at the water (and ship and island) with the wind blowing around you that's both exciting and incredibly peaceful at the same time! DD and I have done it twice and we even convinced my mother to go up once. The only thing that prevents me from doing it every visit is I enjoy Serenity Bay so much now we just get up and out early and go there and sleep on a hammock, paddle in the water and read. Serenity Bay is my idea of perfection!

I believe it's around an hour or hour and a half or so, and **warning** can be cancelled for weather. Before you go out on the boat, you get a short safety briefing and sign waivers. Then maybe 10 or 12 people board the boat and then 2 by 2, start going up...probably for around 5 minutes or so a pair. Then the next pair and so on. It is a neat experience...there's something about flying through the air, looking down at the water (and ship and island) with the wind blowing around you that's both exciting and incredibly peaceful at the same time! DD and I have done it twice and we even convinced my mother to go up once. The only thing that prevents me from doing it every visit is I enjoy Serenity Bay so much now we just get up and out early and go there and sleep on a hammock, paddle in the water and read. Serenity Bay is my idea of perfection!

I am all about Serenity Bay!! That is my happy place.

I've considered parasailing, but I cruise solo and do NOT want to be tethered to someone I've just met. Since it's almost always 2 by 2, I will never do it. That is just ooky IMHO to be required to be that close to someone you don't know.

I've considered parasailing, but I cruise solo and do NOT want to be tethered to someone I've just met. Since it's almost always 2 by 2, I will never do it. That is just ooky IMHO to be required to be that close to someone you don't know.
You don't have to go up with another person.

I really enjoyed the parasailing (up in the air part), but the part where you're just riding in the boat while others are up - yikes! Since they are going really fast, and there are swells, the ride is really rough. I wound up with a couple of bruises on my arm where I hit the rail I was holding onto.

You don't have to go up with another person.

I really enjoyed the parasailing (up in the air part), but the part where you're just riding in the boat while others are up - yikes! Since they are going really fast, and there are swells, the ride is really rough. I wound up with a couple of bruises on my arm where I hit the rail I was holding onto.

Interesting. I've read more than one report that the boat captain was requiring people to go up tandem. Maybe it depends on weather conditions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter