• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Convince me I do NOT need memory maker

I didn't get it and I don't have any regrets. I have a DSLR and I take a ton of photos...and usually I'm not in many. My kids are very used to getting their photos taken but sometimes it is very hard to get them to cooperate (8&4 on our recent trip). My DH and I discussed it and at $150 I would have to love 10 photos in order to make it worthwhile. I'm also very picky about my photos... so, he really doubted that I'd really love that many.
Also, the only ride photos we would have had were ones like space mountain with 2 of us, Buzz Space Ranger Spin (which we took a photo of with our smartphones)... we weren't doing a lot of the bigger rides with photos.

I made a deal with the kids that one photos per park, they would pose and smile at the photographer...and I handed them my camera. Even out of those, many were terrible. But, that way I was in at least one photo per day... if not more.

I'm not into photos with special effects like putting tink in your hand etc. Nor am I into putting the special disney frames for each ride/land/park on the photos.

So.... I'm not sorry. And I am a scrapbooker and I got plenty of nice photos for my albums.

My friend that went a few months after us got it and was so happy she did. She has a point and shoot and usually takes a ton of photos herself. They got a lot of ride photos and they have one 9 year old son who is willing to smile for photos, so they got plenty of the three of them with characters, in the parks etc. She was so excited to get on the disney website and customize the borders for each photo with the real disney graphics etc. She showed me the album she made and said there were hundreds of photos to choose from that were on their MM. It totally worked for her and suited their needs.

If you don't think you'd be going back...and if anything were to happen to your camera or memory card for any reason... you'd want the photos right??? That's where it might be valuable for you. And for a lot of people, it's more fun when they don't have to worry about pulling out their camera to capture the memories... they enjoy the moments more.

Good luck.

We pre purchased MM and will every time we go. That said, I still almost always handed the photopass photographer my personal camera as well. They're happy to use yours so you can be in the picture. So if you don't need the ride photos and aren't doing anything like Jedi Training Academy, you'd probably be fine skipping it. For us, with a 7 and 3 year old there were only so many ride photos we could get (space mountain with the 7 year old and Buzz with both......but they're so short that the guns on Buzz cover their faces!) I know the other roller coasters have them but for small kids there isn't much. I always go overboard with pics, so for me it's worth it incase it rains (that way I don't have to carry my camera) or something happens to my camera, but you could definitely get by without it and still be included in family pics. :-)

We didn't purchase Memory maker and it is my biggest regret from our trip. Yes, the photographers will take pictures with your camera, but they don't take as good of shots with yours. I brought my DSLR with me, one that I have used for may years to do professional photography, and while the pictures were clear and high quality, the set up and the angles were not as good.

We are likely going to end up paying the $169 for the photopass now. And had I known that in advance, I would've gotten a LOT more pictures from the photographers.

I learned my lesson and will never skip MM again.

I'm realizing that with Rider Swap for most of the photo rides, we might get our money's worth after all. Might be something for you to consider as well.

I'm another vote in favor of MM. We got it for our last trip even though my boys aren't that in to character meets. It was so worth it. Our 7 pictures of Splash Mountain are alone worth the cash because ride photos are hilarious! My kids were 5 and 7 last trip and they never grumbled about stopping at a photo spot because it's so quick (except first and last shots with the park in the background- those tend to have longer lines). And nothing beats having them snap a picture and then quickly scan your MB. Done so fast. So worth it! I'd scrimp other places, but not when it comes to MM!

Our last trip in 2011 it was still Photopass Plus (or maybe just plain old Photopass, I can't remember) but I'm really glad we got it. Our DD had just turned 2, an obviously difficult age to get nice pictures of her sitting still, but the PP photographers got so many adorable candid shots of her meeting the characters. We have a series of shots of her playing peek-a-boo with Donald (her fave) at Animal Kingdom that alone to me is worth whatever we paid for the Photopass.

I bought the Memory Maker for this trip and am looking forward to getting the photos of her - now 5 years old - riding all of the Mountains for the first time!

I know I am supposed to tell you why you shouldn't get it... But I think you should get it! :rotfl2: We are pretty frugal and never got it before our last trip. I let the guy I talked to when I booked the package convince me I needed it for our last trip and I am so glad we got it! I have the same problem as you - I am the photographer so I am never in photos. It took a lot of stress off me not worrying about having to capture all the memories myself. We just stopped whenever we ran across a photographer with little to no line. And there are a couple pictures that I love so much that I would have paid the $150 for those pictures alone! But we wound up with hundreds of photos! The other plus is I can be in the moment with my son because I know someone else is worrying about photos. I am linking one below that I like because is not staged - it captures a real moment. You can see Minnie oohing and aahing over my tiny baby and my true joy in that moment. Totally worth it.

And one more sweet one for good measure!

You can still get a Photopass Archive disk for $119 if you pre-purchase it. This will give you a copy of all of your Disney photos, except the ride photos. Since we're only doing one ride that has pictures (Splash) I decided to save the $30 and just get the disk.

Disney is really good at hiding the fact there is another less expensive option than Memory Maker for guests who aren't interested in the ride photos.

You can still get a Photopass Archive disk for $119 if you pre-purchase it. This will give you a copy of all of your Disney photos, except the ride photos. Since we're only doing one ride that has pictures (Splash) I decided to save the $30 and just get the disk.

Disney is really good at hiding the fact there is another less expensive option than Memory Maker for guests who aren't interested in the ride photos.

no freakin way!!!! I have no care about ride photos.

We are going in 14 days and I just bought MM. We haven't used it before and I'm really excited! I almost feel as though I got it for free! We have a Disney Vacation Account that we put $10.00 in each week. I was able to use the money we have in the DVA to get the MM! We certainly haven't missed $10 a week and this was a great way to get MM without the $149 hit at once. Obviously, it still wasn't actually "free", but it almost feels like it! Can't wait to be able to use it! :cool1:

I have never purchased more than $75 worth of Photopass pictures from any of our 5 trips so for us it isn't worth it. We buy a few of us together and some ride photos and that's all we need.

All other pics we get with our camera and they are more than enough. I'm going to take it with me anyway because Photopass isn't going to get all the photos you're going to want to take. Also, many of our random shots (not posed) are terrific and really capture the moment, especially the many I take of my daughter.

Perhaps MM may be worth it on a first visit but for us it's:

-more than the price of a one way ticket to Orlando:thumbsup2

-almost a night at a moderate resort:cool1:

-at least 2 character meals which my daughter absolutely loves (and I get great photos with my camera because a cast member or guest has always been happy to take them)::yes::

Whatever your decision I hope it works for you and you make wonderful memories!

no freakin way!!!! I have no care about ride photos.

The link to the discounted disk was pretty hidden, you really had to know what links to follow. And now it's gone...so I apologize for giving out misinformation. I JUST purchased mine August 13th, but they must not be offering the pre-arrival discount anymore, instead forcing people into Memory Maker. Very frustrating.

OP here :goodvibes Well not sure many read my title of reasons NOT to get the memory maker package, but the majority gave me enough reasons to cave and book it. 5days from check in and our memory maker is paid for! I added a bunch of the photo rides as well as a few more character meet and greets into our plans in hopes of being sure I get enough photos to use. I think the only character meal we have that it will be useful is O'hana, our others (H&V and Askershus) are not on the list for MM.

If anyone can suggest other ways to take advantage. I figure I'll get a family shot at each park landmark. Watch for magic shots, and when passing any photographer with no/short lines get individual and group kid shots.

I'm wondering tough, when I checked out online, I had a bunch of notes saying "tickets to be picked up at a sales centre". I thought MM was attached to our magic band, and it is already showing up in my Disney Experience page. So is there something I need to pick up still?

Also I am only travelling with my Iphone. When it says download will that move them all into my phones memory? I don't have anything fancy, would love to see my photos the day they are taken, but would rather not fill my phone's memory in one day.

Thanks for all the input and help!! You guys were great with reason's why this worked and I have heard so few horror stories for this package that I had to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter