"Conveyer" Belt rides

Kathy C

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if the rides that have the moving belts like Haunted Mansion, Snow White, etc stop to let people on and off. My mom (63 yrs) will be in a wheelchair because of breast cancer that has spread to her bones and because the cancer in her right hip (the weight bearing joint) got worse, she had radiation two weeks ago and chances of a hip fracture have increased greatly so she will be in a wheelchair but will be able to get out of the chair and onto most attractions but will not do the moving belts. This is a family vacation we planned way before all of this happened. There will be ten of us. I also am going to see about a GAC card knowing that our whole party will not be able to get in at one time and that's fine. We will use the card only at the necessary attractions. My mom can't stand in line and we want this to be a wonderful time and memory as it may be the last family vacation we have and my mom was adament about not cancelling. I know, too, that we'll probably get many stares from people thinking we are abusing the system because to look at my mom, you'd think she was healthy. If only that were the case!

Thanks
Kathy

I don't have time for a long reply right now, but there is an old thread about the moving walkway type rides that I will post a link to when I get home.
It is possible for the CMs to stop or slow most of the moving walkways. The 2 that can't be stopped are Peter Pan and the walkway that goes up to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (I actually have seen that one stopped, but not for someone to get on and if it's stopped, you need to walk up a long ramp, so I would not suggest it).
The lines are wheelchair accessible, so she won't have to walk in lines at all. For some rides/attractions, she will be able to stay in the wheelchair for the whole experience. For the ones where a transfer needs to be made, the wheelchair can often be rolled right up to the ride car.

hi,
i believe i read here that the only ride they can't stop is peter pan. i'm sure others will comment on how "ride stopping" works. i just wanted to let you know to ignore the stares and concentrate on having a fun time and making great memories with your family. we didn't take our kids to wdw until after my mom passed (years ago) and i've regretted it. we all would have had a good time.

also, my MS doesn't make me look "sick" unless you see me walking more than a few short steps, and people don't really stare as much as you think they will. also, i'm guessing your mom is a little older than i am, making it much less likely that people will "stare." Besides, you'll be looking at the scenery and your family and not other people's faces--SO DON'T WORRY about others! enjoy your time together!!

-dj

I will "second" the reply not to worry about people staring. I have so much medical equipment that people stare at me all the time out of curiosity. While I don't like it, I ignore it. You are on vacation to make magical memories, so don't worry about what anyone else might think. ---Kathy

We were there two weeks ago. They brought us in another entrance, asked me if I could walk 20 feet and had me walk right onto the moving platform. When we got off I got back on my scooter.......No problem at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter