Convertible diaper bag booster banned?

Disturbia

Happily Ever After
I just read about someone being denied taking a diaper bag that converts to a toddler booster and the security asked them to take it back or throw it in the garbage!

https://www.disneydining.com/guest-...-told-her-to-throw-away-her-booster-seat-ks1/

Our soon to be 4 year old is too big for high chairs but has sensory issues and needs to be restrained. The only place we’ve successfully gotten a booster seat is at STK71. Does anyone know if MK restaurants (CRT & BOG) have booster seats? The alternative will be putting her on our laps which gets tiring and is very hard to manage an active 4 year old with sensory issues and glassware. In the past trip (Dec 2022) she barely fit in the high chair. The concern is she will try to run after the characters.

This is what we have and we will be leaving it at home but this is what she is used to at restaurants now.

061CF373-44D9-4594-B649-EAA46001C2F7.jpeg

I just read about someone being denied taking a diaper bag that converts to a toddler booster and the security asked them to take it back or throw it in the garbage!

https://www.disneydining.com/guest-...-told-her-to-throw-away-her-booster-seat-ks1/

Our soon to be 4 year old is too big for high chairs but has sensory issues and needs to be restrained. The only place we’ve successfully gotten a booster seat is at STK71. Does anyone know if MK restaurants (CRT & BOG) have booster seats? The alternative will be putting her on our laps which gets tiring and is very hard to manage an active 4 year old with sensory issues and glassware. In the past trip (Dec 2022) she barely fit in the high chair. The concern is she will try to run after the characters.

This is what we have and we will be leaving it at home but this is what she is used to at restaurants now.

with reading what others posted to her sounds like this is being called a folding chair which are not allowed at Disney. not sure what you can bring with you that would be allowed in the park plus what one CM allows another might not allow in

Sensory issues and elopement (running off at age 4 without realization of the danger) are ADA disability issues that should allow you to take the item with you. Is it ridiculous that you have to get a Dis Pass for this? Yes. But do it. Your child’s safety and ability to sit and eat are important. Are you going to use a stroller for her? Does it work to use the booster with that for her to sit in as
The chair in a restaurant? If so, ask to be able to use her stroller as a wheelchair and they will put a special tape/sticker that designates that. This allows her to use it in a restaurant.

I think I would take this story with a grain of salt.

Also, this supposedly happened at DL so there have been no instances shared of this happening at WDW.

Out of curiosity I went to the website of the company in the ad and this item is not listed, at least that I can find.

I’m not discounting you doing what is necessary for your child @Disturbia, just saying I would recommend researching what items are/are not allowed to be brought into the parks.

I think I would take this story with a grain of salt.

Also, this supposedly happened at DL so there have been no instances shared of this happening at WDW.

Out of curiosity I went to the website of the company in the ad and this item is not listed, at least that I can find.

I’m not discounting you doing what is necessary for your child @Disturbia, just saying I would recommend researching what items are/are not allowed to be brought into the parks.
I purchased the Kolkraft in April (from Amazon) and it works for restaurants we frequent at home.

I didn’t realize it was a DL post but I remember reading about folding chairs not being allowed at WDW with walking canes.

BF650BA9-A478-4318-B07B-0C52D833404C.jpeg
Sensory issues and elopement (running off at age 4 without realization of the danger) are ADA disability issues that should allow you to take the item with you. Is it ridiculous that you have to get a Dis Pass for this? Yes. But do it. Your child’s safety and ability to sit and eat are important. Are you going to use a stroller for her? Does it work to use the booster with that for her to sit in as
The chair in a restaurant? If so, ask to be able to use her stroller as a wheelchair and they will put a special tape/sticker that designates that. This allows her to use it in a restaurant.
We use a sit and stand joovy caboose ultralight and CRT is already limited in terms of space.

We’re leaning towards each adult taking turns holding her. I’ve never used DAS for her
but will keep that in mind if she has issues at other places (MK is our third night).

She is mostly ok but occasionally throws a tantrum (it’s more extreme vs normal kids who can be eventually reasoned with). She does go to speech and occupational therapy and we follow the hand signals and walking away but right now she’s still learning routines.

The high chair worked so far even at CRT (before characters) and we had minimal issues. BOG and Hollywood & Vine have allowed the stroller (they do have extra space).

We’ve never requested a booster at Mk, so it would be helpful to know if they’re available.

Last edited:
WDW has a "no folding chairs" rule and has for years. However I've actually never heard of that applied to a child's booster seat. Sounds to me like an overzealous security guard. I agree with others that I'd be willing to try it myself.

Is it ridiculous that you have to get a Dis Pass for this? Yes. But do it.
f so, ask to be able to use her stroller as a wheelchair and they will put a special tape/sticker that designates that. This allows her to use it in a restaurant.
Unfortunately both of these suggestions will not necessarily help the OP. I assume by "Dis Pass" you mean a DAS -- which has nothing to do with seating in a restaurant. Also a stroller-as-wheelchair tag allows the stroller into queues but not necessarily into restaurants. I would not think the booster seat within the stroller seat would be safe, plus a stroller pulled up to a table is typically too low and dangerous for the child to bump their head.

WDW has a "no folding chairs" rule and has for years. However I've actually never heard of that applied to a child's booster seat. Sounds to me like an overzealous security guard. I agree with others that I'd be willing to try it myself.

Unfortunately both of these suggestions will not necessarily help the OP. I assume by "Dis Pass" you mean a DAS -- which has nothing to do with seating in a restaurant. Also a stroller-as-wheelchair tag allows the stroller into queues but not necessarily into restaurants. I would not think the booster seat within the stroller seat would be safe, plus a stroller pulled up to a table is typically too low and dangerous for the child to bump their head.
wheelchairs, including strollers being used as wheelchairs are required to be allowed into public places including ALL restaurants

whether the wheelchair or stroller is high enough with or without a booster depends on the chair and the booster

wheelchairs, including strollers being used as wheelchairs are required to be allowed into public places including ALL restaurants

whether the wheelchair or stroller is high enough with or without a booster depends on the chair and the booster
yes they are allowed but wheels and handles must be kept out of walkways for safety. if that is a problem stroller will be allowed to take guest to table to transfer to a chair. that is also true for ECVs and wheelchairs and this is for safety of CMs and guests from having food accidently spilled from bumping into chair/stroller

They can not require a transfer from a wheelchair/stroller used as wheelchair. The electric scooters are not in the same category. The restaurant must find a location that accommodates the wheelchair/stroller.

No, sorry. The stroller-as-wheelchair tag does not guarantee the stroller can be wheeled up to a restaurant table. As you can see below, it is specific to attraction queues. That tag holds no particular legal authorization for anything.

Strollers As Wheelchairs
Guests with disabilities—including those with a cognitive disability—who need to remain in a stroller while in an attraction queue should visit the Guest Relations Lobby at the theme parks in order to obtain the appropriate identifying tag.​

If anyone feels their child needs to remain in the stroller while dining, I recommend discussing the situation with the restaurant host on arrival to see what can be accommodated.

We brought this into MK in the past without any issue at all: portable booster chair

It was in a carrying case - just walked it through the detector :confused3

I think this was an isolated incident with one overzealous guard, honestly. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it and if you had any issue, ask to speak with a supervisor of security and talk more about it with them. But I'd be really surprised if it came to that.

CRT only has a few tables at the top which are wheelchair/stroller accessible. I don’t see us bringing a stroller in. It would be really hard to maneuver and our DD would want to get pictures with the princesses.

I’ll have a booster delivered if it looks like she won’t sit.

No, sorry. The stroller-as-wheelchair tag does not guarantee the stroller can be wheeled up to a restaurant table. As you can see below, it is specific to attraction queues. That tag holds no particular legal authorization for anything.

Strollers As Wheelchairs
Guests with disabilities—including those with a cognitive disability—who need to remain in a stroller while in an attraction queue should visit the Guest Relations Lobby at the theme parks in order to obtain the appropriate identifying tag.​

If anyone feels their child needs to remain in the stroller while dining, I recommend discussing the situation with the restaurant host on arrival to see what can be accommodated.
Well it does. Been there, done that. The ADA covers this in restaurants, everywhere. Not just Disney.

Well it does. Been there, done that. The ADA covers this in restaurants, everywhere. Not just Disney.
only way we were able to use stroller as a wheelchair tag at table serves in Disney was to bring to table and transfer to highchair/chair because of wheels or handle being in aisle which were not allowed for safety reasons. ADA does not take over saftey. example wheelchair can not block emergency exit even if person needs it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter