Convert -- Live from SSR -- Review + Compare**Update Pg. 2

DVCconvert

DIS Veteran
SSR – Arrival Day & Review (contrast BWV/OKW)

Alrighty then; As a DVC’er who only owns at BWV, but who enjoys OKW as well, here’s my stab at reviewing DVC’s newest.

In contradiction to what has been posted by others, my observation upon driving up to check in was that there were in fact 2 bellmen on duty. This was about 4:30 on Friday afternoon. Not needing, nor using their services I can’t comment on anything beyond the fact that bell services were present and available.

On the grounds near the feature pool and check-in, music was playing that seemed to swing from classical guitar versions of Debussy to light Jazz. I guess I’m unclear on how that fits the resort themeing, but then again, if you asked 100 people what music comes to mind when you say Saratoga I doubt many would have a response. It did make for a nice background ambience.

No wait for check-in which went very smoothly and quickly. I had asked for a 1st floor, smoking, DTD view 1 bedroom villa. I received a 1 Bdrm, smoking permitted villa looking directly at Pleasure Island on the 4th floor in Congress Park. Upon experiencing the villa, I am glad that I ended up on the 4th floor. Excellent view and DVD must have “heard” guest’s requests for elevators, despite the fact I’m in the end of the building away from the elevators it is nothing compared to hauling a 100lb suitcase up the stairs at OKW. Parking here is much more convenient than at BWV, but not quite as close as OKW usually works out to be. Still, all in all, parking and room access is good.

I then set about to cook (as I’m with a group of 16) some cold salad type dishes for lunches as we expect to be taking mid day breaks owing to the heat and or showers.

Kitchen
The layout and design is almost an exact duplicate to the kitchens found in BWV 1 Bdrm units. Keeping in mind most of my cooking experience has to date been at OKW, I will make some observations comparing stockings at SSR to OKW. If there is supposed to be a blender, it’s not to be found in my villa. There are no ceramic serving bowls ( there is 1 serving platter). The pitcher here is about ½ the size as the one found in OKW villas. All seem to share identical cooking pots and pans. There is a very nice glass casserole which is rectangular in shape (in addition to the round one as found at OKW) which is very nice. It may be as large as 9 x 13 but I can’t tell for sure. SSR has a bigger and nice assortment of non-stick utensils than what I’ve found at either BWV or OKW. I also have yet to find the cutting board here. The stove here beats the BWV old fashioned coil burners any day. The fridge is the same size as found at BWV and smaller than OKW’s. I ended up with a lemon of a vegetable peeler (which I promptly broke while peeling a cucumber) so I purchased a nicer one at Winn-Dixie and intend on leaving it here.

Laundry
Similar to BWV these are over and under washer/dryer units. I have to say however, that they are not identical. While functional for sure, the washer lid while raised makes it a little difficult to get the wet wash out. Unlike BWV or OKW there appears not to be any laundry basket provided.

Closet Space
I really like the spaces found at OKW. Here, there is 1 very, very, very small closet which also is the home for the Iron, Ironing board, Electric panel, Crib and safe and bag stand. Once you put an empty suitcase or two in there it starts to get unmanageable (even to open the safe).

Balcony
Excluding the view issues – Nicer than any at BWV (ex. Grand Villas or 1st floor patios). Size is comfortable for a couple people to sit, have a drink or an appetizer, but not to have a meal. OKW is the ruling king as far as balconies go in my mind.

Engineering/Décor/Furnishings
Only found here are exhaust fans in the wash/tub/shower/bathroom areas that operate by a sensor. As soon as you walk in the room, the fan kicks on – kind of cool really. Room environmental controls are more advanced than at BWV or OKW (especially). Unlike OKW the living room TV is on a pull out swivel drawer which makes it nice while working in the kitchen or relaxing at the kitchen table.
SSR Kitchen & bath areas feature more elaborate tile work which works very nicely in harmony with the muted pastels of the walls. The faux granite countertops in the kitchen while no more nor less functional than what’s found at BWV or SSR add a nice design element. There is a large themed table lamp in the living room, the base of which looks like a building. What isn’t apparent until the light is operated is the ‘hidden’ horses with mounted jockeys made into the lamp shades. The bed is very comfortable. The area lighting in the kitchen is very art-deco in appearance. Mirrors and furniture throughout shows influences of empire styling.

DTD access/Resort amenities access
I know that the cast at the Adventure’s Club often refer to the PI fireworks as ‘Mediocrity-In the Sky’. Truer words have not been spoken. All 17 seconds of the fireworks consist of low level mortars, no high aerials at all. In fact last night there were guests walking the side way as if from coming from the bus stop when the fireworks started – I heard one comment and they started running toward the lake side of the buildings – they could not get there before the fireworks had ended. I raise this just to make sure no one has any unrealistic expectations about the PI fireworks. From Congress Park it appears to be a shorter walk to Marketplace than it would be to walk to the boat dock where one would board the boat to Market place (haven’t done that yet). While the feature pool appears nice, I simply can’t imagine that DVC can get away without building a quiet pool or two before construction here is completed. It could be quite a hike on a hot day from some places – and any beneficial cooling would be long gone by the time you got back to your room in some cases. The store/food court – more on this in my next report.

Ok, well, that’s my observations so far. I’m sure I’ve given some cause to hate me, and other’s to think there’s hope for the “convert”.

TTFN
:earsboy:

Thanks for the very complete report! :)

I'd call housekeeping about the blender, I'm sure one will appear in a short time.

Did you check out the quiet pool at Congress Park yet?

Enjoy the rest of your trip! :sunny:

Thanks for your report. Looking forward to hearing the rest as we will be staying at SSR in Oct. Our first Disney trip as DVC owners. Thanks again! :flower:

On the grounds near the feature pool and check-in, music was playing that seemed to swing from classical guitar versions of Debussy to light Jazz. I guess I’m unclear on how that fits the resort themeing, but then again, if you asked 100 people what music comes to mind when you say Saratoga I doubt many would have a response.

The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) in the real Saratoga hosts the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Newport Jazz Festival (going on right now), NYC Ballet, and other performances. This may be the inspiration for the music choices. :)
Check out spac.org.

I will look forward to your post at the end of your trip, to see if you still think the exhaust fans in the bathroom are cool. By the end of my trip, they were driving me crazy! Whenever I got up at night, if I even went near the bathroom, those darn fans came on and woke everyone up! :badpc:

Keep the reviews coming.

You seem to think this is a semi negative post but I don't have that sense at all.

It is honest and that is much appreciated for us on the infamous fence.

Thanks

I can't remember a blender from our last stay there. Also, the quiet pool for Congress Park is very nice. I like floating in it at night and watching the spot lights at PI. I'm not so impressed with those automatic fans. They go on even when you don't need them, but once you're in the shower for any length of time - they stop! And that's when you need them ON!

Yes, walking to the Marketplace from Congress Park is much easier than walking to the boat launch.

Enjoy!
D4D

I called Housekeeping and asked for a laundry baskedt I expectedf to find one under the sink in the master bath, but it wasn't. I had one delivered in minutes.

Also, I found the cutting board in the bottom cabinet below where the glasses are mounted in what looks like a wine rack. Because it is clear, I did not notice it at first.

I agree with you on the washer and dryer. I felt it difficult to get the wash out with my short arms. I remember when I toured the models though that I noticed that it is a very good brand name washer/dryer, but I didn't notice that when using it on our last visit.

I cannot imagine why you might think some might ahte you for your report. The only I feel that you left out was weather you liked the resort so far.

I hope you are having a good time.

I enjoy these updates. We purchased at SSR and have never been there. I plan on going over to check it out on our trip in Dec., but I really appreciate reading your experiences.

Thank you for the report!

Our first trip will be in February to SSR, our first as DVC owners. We are really REALLY looking forward to our first DVC vacation, and I am so happy to hear positive feedback from people who have been there.

Can't wait!

Bridget

cruise-o-matic said:
Report sounds "Fair and Balanced" to me..... ::MickeyMo

Me too! Thanks for the good read.... And have a great vacation. :wave:

Hmmm....my guide told me the granite counter tops were real at SSR and BCV. Are they really faux?

:wave:

Beca

I think this is a wonderful report. Everything seemed to be rather objective and factual. Any comparisons included the OP saying that it was their experience at blah, blah, blah and so on.

Thanks for the report!

I know I'm in the minority (as range manufacturers have all but done away with even manufacturing coils), but I HATE ceramic cooktops. Gas all the way, but coil burners over ceramic.

I hope all sixteen people aren't in that one bedroom....or you'll have some 'splainin' to do!

Nice report, thanks.

DVCconvert said:
SSR – Arrival Day & Review (contrast BWV/OKW)

Alrighty then; As a DVC’er who only owns at BWV, but who enjoys OKW as well, here’s my stab at reviewing DVC’s newest.

Thanks for the info DVCconvert, going in 1 week, how's the main pool been, crowded or not, plus how late is that Pool Bar open till?

Thanks for your opinions.
RayJay

despite the fact I’m in the end of the building away from the elevators it is nothing compared to hauling a 100lb suitcase up the stairs at OKW.
Just so everyone's clear.....OKW does have Bell hops. No need to carry heavy luggage up stairs (unless one enjoys a good stiff workout ;) )

I know that the cast at the Adventure’s Club often refer to the PI fireworks as ‘Mediocrity-In the Sky’. Truer words have not been spoken. All 17 seconds of the fireworks
This is too funny. I had no idea it was this minimal ? All our trips to WDW I guess we just never took notice.
Thanks so much for the report DVCConvert ! Have a great time :cool1:

Beca said:
Hmmm....my guide told me the granite counter tops were real at SSR and BCV. Are they really faux?

:wave:

Beca
Beca, I'm no expert, but I they look real to me!

We were told yesterday when we went to look at the DVC visitation center at SSR that an additional pool was approved- so while I look at the map of the resort that woukd make four, the three on the map and then the additional one we were told about yesterday. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter