Convection Oven

left210

DIS Veteran
I need some advice on my convection oven. I was so excited to get one and now 1 1/2 years later I still havent used it. I tried to use it when I first got it but it burned my cookies which I thought that wasnt supposed to happen with a convection oven. Any advice on how to use it successfully especially for baking? Thanks.

I am still learning on using ours, but if your recipe tells you to cook it for one hour, check on it at 45 minutes and see if it is done. Things will cook faster then what a recipe calls for. :dance3:

I also turn the temperature down 25-50 degrees. Things definately cook much faster so I try to make sure I'm around to check often. Then, once I know how long it took, I make a note on my recipe or on the post-it on the fridge so I can do it right the next time.

I love my convection oven. I have learned that some things just don't work well in it. It is great for making baked goods--muffins, cakes and cookies. When baking lower the temp by 25 degrees (50 if using glass). Use a shiny pan when baking cookies so they don't burn. And reduce the baking time by 25% to start. Frozen foods-like pizza- don't do well--the toppings get overdone while the bottom is cold. This goes for anything with a cheese topping-because the circulating air dries things out.
Just keep trying--you will learn to love the results!
Deb :thumbsup2

Hi! I recently got a Frigidaire convection oven. It has a function called "convection convert". What you do is key in the temp. you would use in a regular oven and the temp. is converted to what you need to use for the convection oven. Basically, it seems to reduce the temperature by 25ºF.

Also, it has convection bake and convection roast features. I cooked a beef roast using the conv. roast feature. I don't know I could be wrong, but it seemed to take the same time as cooking a roast in a standard oven.

I have used the conv. bake for brownies and pound cake. This worked well. They cooked in less time than usual. The oven manual does not reccommend using the conv. setting for some baked goods.

Also, I find the conv. oven works well for frozen foods. Things seem to cook faster and more evenly. In direct contrast to DeborahA, I find the bottom and top of things done more at the same time. The top does not get overdone while waiting for the bottom to cook as it did in my old oven. Most convenience frozen foods now have convection oven cooking directions on them.

Today I am going to try a rhubarb pie. In my old oven I would bake a pie for 1 1/2 hours at 425º before the filling would be bubbly and done and the crust/topping even though covered with foil would be over done. I am hoping for the best.

Good luck with your oven. I really like mine.

Lisa

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it another shot and try my convection oven again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter