Convaid Cruiser... UPDATE - not sure what to do! Post 11

stitch34

DIS Veteran
Posted a while back about my search for something for my ever-growing autistic son. Well, made it through our trip last week, barely, in our Maclaren Volo - foot rest broke, wheels no longer want to move, but we made it through!

Looking at the Maclaren Major - saw someone in WDW with it and they were so nice and let me check it out - loved it! Also looking online at the Special Tomato, though think I am favoring the Major more.

Back and forth with insurance on the phone. Okay, yes, "durable medical equipment" is covered, stroller falls into that category. Need authorization for over $250 - hope it goes through! Called TONS of DME providers in my plan (can't do anything online). Finally I think the 8th place I called - YES, they do the special needs strollers.

So.... they do the Convaid. They said there are different models, suggested the Cruiser may be a good choice for him.

So..... (finally my question!).... who has this, do you like it? Can you compare it to the Maclaren Major? My son is autistic, 62 pound almost 7 year old and growing fast every day! He can be a runner (though oddly, is VERY good walking in WDW - which is fine with my girls, as they enjoy a turn in the stroller - helps keep the whining down from them!). But there are times he definitely needs restraint from a stroller, well, the bulk of the time. No way to get through an airport, watch fireworks, wait for ADRs, go into a store, etc, etc. There are occasions at home when out locally he would definitely get a lot of use for it, too.

Is the convaid comfortable for them? pretty secure in them? he's used to the feel of more being cradled in the stroller - and used to his feet touching the ground and "walking" with stroller attached to him - which is aggravating as anything - so this will be a huge blessing for me (not him!), to have him not do that.

They said they'll come out and measure him, let me see one in person.
But if insurance will be able to cover it, my thought is forget the Maclaren - go for the Convaid.
So would love any and all feedback on this, please!!
and comes down to IF insurance will approve it.

They said need a VERY detailed letter from doctor stating why he needs this. Any thoughts what to include in the letter? His safety is my main concern.

and ONE last question... very worried about taking something sooo expensive - or even the Maclaren for that matter, to WDW and leaving it when dining or on a ride and worry about it being stolen. What to do if stolen, money-wise? Any type of insurance, whether homeowners or something, travel insurance, that would cover a loss like that?

sorry so long! Just a ton of questions, this is all new to me and glad to finally be on track getting something done! everyone's advice on my prior thread was very helpful!!

We have a bus transportable Convaid Cruiser for our son ... he's Autistic and has Down Syndrome. He was a late walker and has visual issues. At 10 years old he's about 55 lbs. We did have a Maclaren for about 2 days until our insurance companies told us they wouldn't pay for it ... we told them to come and get it. Very happy that we did. The Convaid is a great stroller. If you look at www.adaptivemall.com you'll see that it comes in a few sizes. It's very easy to fold up and I discovered recently that I can fit it in the back of our Toyota Sienna without folding it. We were even able to order a sunshade for it. I can't tell you how many people stopped us in the park this summer to ask how we liked our stroller ... we love it.

Since this is not directly about WDW, I will move it to the disABILITIES Community Board after I reply.
So.... they do the Convaid. They said there are different models, suggested the Cruiser may be a good choice for him.

They said need a VERY detailed letter from doctor stating why he needs this. Any thoughts what to include in the letter? His safety is my main concern.
"They" meaning the insurance company or the Durable Medical Supplier?

If "They" is the insurance company, you should be able to get help from the Durable Medical Supplier and also from the doctor's office. Find out if they have done letters for anyone similar. If he works with an OT, PT or therapist, they should be able to help you too.
No matter who helps you, the doctor will need to write a prescription and a letter of medical neccessity. You can help draft and/or suggest items for the letter.

The basic things you want to cover are:
  • Why does he need a stroller? Safety can be a big concern for the reason he needs a stroller. Detail what he does that makes him unsafe when out and what sorts of things he does (is he impulsive? does he run? would he run into traffic?)
  • Does he do other things that may be unsafe/problematic when you are trying to get from place to place? (One example I can think of is 'melting' when you are trying to walk with him (if he does it, you probably know exactly what I mean).
  • Does the stroller provide any other 'service/function' for him? For example, you mentioned that he liked feeling cradled in his stroller; that can be a calming technique.
  • Under what circumstances would you need the stroller? You already mentioned a couple in your OP.
  • Why would a less expensive ('regular') stroller not meet his needs? You already mentioned that he was too big, it broke, etc.
  • Of the strollers you considered, what makes the Convaid a better fit for his needs? This is especially important when the option that you think is best is more expensive. You have to explain why the more expensive option is enough better to justify the cost.
If the request for the stroller is denied, write back to ask why and then attempt to answer those questions/concerns in your appeal. Many times things get appealed because there are a few questions that need answers.
And ONE last question... very worried about taking something sooo expensive - or even the Maclaren for that matter, to WDW and leaving it when dining or on a ride and worry about it being stolen. What to do if stolen, money-wise? Any type of insurance, whether homeowners or something, travel insurance, that would cover a loss like that?

sorry so long! Just a ton of questions, this is all new to me and glad to finally be on track getting something done! everyone's advice on my prior thread was very helpful!!
In most cases, your home owners insurance will cover this - call and ask, but it usually will cover.
If you are flying to WDW, you can gate check your special needs stroller at no cost and it does not count toward your baggage allowance. If damaged, wheelchairs and assistive devices are re-imbursed at a higher rate than regular strollers would be . A lot of people mention to the agents that it is a wheelchair/special needs stroller. Quite a few people have reported they took pictures so they could prove what condition it was in before they flew.

For WDW, you will be able to keep it with you in most cases - look at post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread about using a stroller as a wheelchair. You will be able to bring it into lines and shows with you. In most cases, he will be able to keep it until just before boarding an attraction. When he has to leave it, the stroller will usually be at the exit when you get off. So, not just parked with the other strollers.

Grumpymom25 - great to hear you're happy with the Convaid! Sounding like this will be good for my son.

SueM - thanks So much - great help for drafting the letter.
Yes, insurance wants it detailed. Figured would write down the important points to give to the doctor to include in the letter. you really covered a lot of great points.

And the "melting" - never heard that term before. Wonder if you are referring to what my son actually does when trying to walk with me - You hold his hand, start walking and down to the ground he goes, fighting me all the way. Really is quite the struggle, especially when there is something he wants to get at. he will do anything and everything to try to break free from me.

We are in a similar situation. My 6yo needs a special needs stroller. We've been using an old used Maclaren Major but we needed something newer as the frame is bent on the Maclaren. We were told to look at Convaid and the one we really liked is the Rodeo. It has attachable side wings that with the cover means that we can put my DS into the stroller with a blanket over the top and he has his own little space when crowds get to be too much. We don't really need the tilt in space option but we'll use it if we have it.

The only thing I have heard about Convaid that is not good is that it can take several months for them to deliver the stroller.

HTH

Grumpymom25 - great to hear you're happy with the Convaid! Sounding like this will be good for my son.

SueM - thanks So much - great help for drafting the letter.
Yes, insurance wants it detailed. Figured would write down the important points to give to the doctor to include in the letter. you really covered a lot of great points.

And the "melting" - never heard that term before. Wonder if you are referring to what my son actually does when trying to walk with me - You hold his hand, start walking and down to the ground he goes, fighting me all the way. Really is quite the struggle, especially when there is something he wants to get at. he will do anything and everything to try to break free from me.
My daughter doesn't walk (She has cerebral palsy) and normally has tight muscle tone. Usually, she can support her weight for transfers, but doesn't have balance, so we need to provide support for her. One of her behaviors that she uses against us is loosing all body tone and becoming like a rag doll when we are trying to transfer her. Think of the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz when she gets water on her - that's my other DD came up with the term 'melting'.

What your son is doing has the same effect, even though he's not quite melting. If you are holding onto his hand when he goes down, you could end up injuring your back, shoulder, arm or hand because of the suddeness of his change in position. So it becomes a danger for him (if you let go, he could fall and be injured or be flung against somethinga kind of a rebound when you let go and he's still pulling) and it's a danger for you (if you don't let go, you could be injured).

We are in a similar situation. My 6yo needs a special needs stroller. We've been using an old used Maclaren Major but we needed something newer as the frame is bent on the Maclaren. We were told to look at Convaid and the one we really liked is the Rodeo. It has attachable side wings that with the cover means that we can put my DS into the stroller with a blanket over the top and he has his own little space when crowds get to be too much. We don't really need the tilt in space option but we'll use it if we have it.

The only thing I have heard about Convaid that is not good is that it can take several months for them to deliver the stroller.

HTH
Typically, tilt in space is an option that is rather expensive compared to a similar stroller/wheelchair without tilt in space. In order to get any options, you usually have to be able to provide rationale for why the person needs the option rather than just the standard. Typically, the person would need to have an orthopedic diagnosis in order to provide enough proof that tilt in space is medically necessary for that person.
Just to throw it out, we tried to get tilt in space for my DD's last power wheelchair and were not able to provide enough documentation for why it was needed; her main diagnosis is cerebral palsy, which is orthopedic, and she lives in either her power or manual wheelchair almost all her waking time.

Convaid actually makes the strollers as they are ordered, so it will take a little longer usually.

Typically, tilt in space is an option that is rather expensive compared to a similar stroller/wheelchair without tilt in space. In order to get any options, you usually have to be able to provide rationale for why the person needs the option rather than just the standard. Typically, the person would need to have an orthopedic diagnosis in order to provide enough proof that tilt in space is medically necessary for that person.
Just to throw it out, we tried to get tilt in space for my DD's last power wheelchair and were not able to provide enough documentation for why it was needed; her main diagnosis is cerebral palsy, which is orthopedic, and she lives in either her power or manual wheelchair almost all her waking time.

Convaid actually makes the strollers as they are ordered, so it will take a little longer usually.

I was wondering about that. I'm frustrated because the Rodeo is the only one with the side flaps that we need. I'm going to have to go into the wheelchair/stroller making business.

Thanks!

I was wondering about that. I'm frustrated because the Rodeo is the only one with the side flaps that we need. I'm going to have to go into the wheelchair/stroller making business.

Thanks!
I looked at those side flaps and it looks like something similar might be able to be made for one of the other strollers - like the Cruiser. You might want to write to Convaid to ask if they could have anything similar as a custom adaptation for a different stroller. Since they make them individually, they may be more willing to come up with a very custom solution for you.

Another option would be to make some. They look like they are probably made of ripstop nylon and could be velcro'd on. If you don't sew, you may be able to find someone who is willing to try to come up with something that would work. Sometimes Occupational Therapists can make adaptations like that. Or, you might be able to find someone in a school sewing class who would want to come up with something as a project.

Good luck. If I lived nearby, this is the kind of 'figuring out' sewing project I like.

I looked at those side flaps and it looks like something similar might be able to be made for one of the other strollers - like the Cruiser. You might want to write to Convaid to ask if they could have anything similar as a custom adaptation for a different stroller. Since they make them individually, they may be more willing to come up with a very custom solution for you.

Another option would be to make some. They look like they are probably made of ripstop nylon and could be velcro'd on. If you don't sew, you may be able to find someone who is willing to try to come up with something that would work. Sometimes Occupational Therapists can make adaptations like that. Or, you might be able to find someone in a school sewing class who would want to come up with something as a project.

Good luck. If I lived nearby, this is the kind of 'figuring out' sewing project I like.

Thanks for the suggestion! I may give that a try. Right now we are being asked for a letter of medical necessity for the Rodeo so I have a feeling it's going to be rejected. This seems like a very viable plan B.

Ugh! Seeing my original post was 8/28.
The supplier still I am waiting on. Got the letter and prescription from the doc right to them. They are waiting to get a couple Convaids in - to then come here to the house and see with my son what size he will need, style... and THEN they will submit my stuff to the insurance and order the stroller - if and when approved by insurance. (the guy did say he sees no problem with insurance approving it, that the letter was great)

Just seems like a lot of time wasting here.
AND... we arrive in WDW on Thanksgiving Day and NEED a stroller for my son.

Going to call insurance and see what other suppliers there may be (though called about 10 already, and so far this was the only place that had Convaids).
Even so, if I find another supplier who will submit this to insurance and order it ASAP - any chance will get it in time for Thanksgiving?

So... anyone have any ideas how long it's submitted to insurance it would take to actually GET the Convaid?

I also like the Maclaren Major a lot - hate to pay the price for it if insurance will cover the Convaid - but time is ticking and we need it soon.
Should I just go ahead and order the Maclaren online somewhere?

Also... if I get the Maclaren and then months down the road (in time for our March WDW trip!??), the Convaid finally arrives - will the Maclaren have a pretty good resale on ebay you think?
And all this waiting... and don't even know if insurance will approve it or not.

anyway....
Any help on what I should do?

And then thinking if should order the Maclaren - or rent something from Orlando Stroller Rentals? Not sure he'd like that jogging type stroller they have on there, just the way the footrest is different than a normal stroller - seems he'd be more relaxed and laid back in there and not sure he'd like that. Same as I know he'd never sit in a Disney rental stroller.
But if just need it go get me through the Thanksgiving trip and hope for the Convaid to arrive for March trip.... comes down to try renting from Orlando Stroller or purchasing the Maclaren and ebaying it in the spring?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter