Controversial Topics Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! Too many throw around the term racist, homophobe and other similar terms just because someone doesn't agree with them.
I've never been called a racist or a homophobe. Want to know my top secret never before revealed 100% successful iron clad way how?

Oh my, I am not on either side and tend to dip out when that sort of thing starts to rear its head. This is the derailing I am talking about. There is a very old way of thinking that demonizing one or the other indicates some kind of win - yeah no, I'm not into it & won't jump onto any bandwagons over it. I hate who I hate because of their own selves, not the brand, and I like who I like because of them, not the brand.

Not a fan of how "sides" seem to have commandeered points of view, what is up with that? The whole mask thing was the final straw for me. I don't think I'm the only one sick of it since Independants now far outnumber the people on either side, swelling to 49% so there are more people in the middle than anywhere else. There are many who refuse to acknowledge how very alienating the old ways have become in everyday life. It is fine for leaders but not fine everywhere else and it seems 49% are on the same page.

I don't want to debate people to prove I am right, that is also old fashioned. What I would like is a place to explore the best solutions for problems that accommodate the most variations possible and do the least possible damage to individual rights for self determination.
Assuming that because one isn't a member of either political party that they are middle of the road is errant. In fact, most independents heavily lean one way or the other. Only 10% of the electorate, (20% of independents) are truly independent. The rest may initially make that claim, but once further survey questions are answered, they'll usually admit their lean. Furthermore, only 5.3% of the electorate self identified as both independent and moderate. In fact a greater percentage of democrats self identified as moderate than independents.
Just look at all the third parties in the U.S. that participate the most. Not a single one of the top 5 third parties beyond the major two is middle of the road. Every last one of them is to the extreme side of one or the other party in the U.S. If 49% of Americans wanted to flock to some magical middle party, we'd already have this magical middle party and they'd already be winning elections all over the map.
There is no magical middle of the road knight in shining armor ready to spread unicorn dust to find this magical middle of the road solutions to our problems. That is a myth largely fostered by the main stream media. Funny how it's always trotted out when one side is in power but as soon as the other side gets it, it's put on the shelf for 4 years.

Oh yes, I agree polarization has torn groups apart but I also believe that this is precisely why both sides are losing out to people preferring to be called unaffiliated or Independent.

The way things are is probably going to fade away like a fad soon enough because a thing can't sustain itself without moderation. These groups can't even have a civilized conversation much less adapt and grow. At some point something will need to bend to capture the untapped power of people in the middle and then those new voices will force change.
You said you don't want to debate people to prove you're right, but spamming the same argument you made earlier. is a big sign of doing just that. And as for the "untapped power of people in the middle" we've been hearing that for years. It has gone by other names in our lifetimes such as The Moral Majority or the Silent Majority. The same fallacious rhetorical technique dates at least as far back as the Roman empire and is used not to unite people, but to divide them by people that are neither in the majority, nor silent. The Communist party during the revolution used it in Russia calling themselves the Bolsheviks. Nixon used it. And Televangelist Jerry Falwell (Moral Majority) not only used it, he grifted off it it for years.

I’ve opted in. I’m morbidly curious how this will stack up against the old Debate Board. How Do you think it will compare @Dan Murphy ?
Good morning, Steve. Yikes, an opinion request!!

Hmm, I think this new board will revolve predominantly around politics whereas the old Debate Board seemed to have a large variety of topics, including a slice of politics. Heck there used to be heated topics like getting lots of reservations for the Cinderella breakfast and selling the reservations to other people. Or reusing refillable mugs for multiple trips. Or, pre-Fastpass days, having a 'place-holder' person stand in the queue for the rest of a 12 member family who would then swoop in as the entrance gate came closer. Or the bringing of a family to WDW during Gay Days. Or how maybe the Pope was really not a nice guy. I know I probably moved one or two threads from the CB to there every week, once they started to get heated here on the CB.

But with the severe societal divisiveness that has been created and so prevalent over the past 9 years, I think that politics and all that swirls around same will comprise the bulk of the discussions there. I certainly can be missing the mark, Steve,, but just my opinion. Time will tell.

As someone who tends to get involved in some of these discussions, I don't think you'll be seeing me there. I really don't want to invite more of that into my life, and honestly I really only get into it when it involves depictions in Disney movies and such - you know the typical arguments. I'm gonna pass, but have fun, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter