Controversial Topics Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't want it in my new posts feed...but then I don't want a lot of forums...like running. šŸ¤£
I hear you. I wish we could customize the new posts area with only the specific forums that interest us the most. I have nothing against Disneyland, but WDW is where I spend my time so I would prefer not to have the DL posts there distracting me. I am sure there are DL fans who feel the same way.

As to the question asked, personally I donā€™t know why people bring so many of the controversial topics to the DIS to begin with. If the topic has nothing to do with Disney, or travel in general, then I am sure there are other forums on the internet which are much more specific and appropriate for discussing them. If they must be brought to the DIS then I would prefer they be in an isolated corner where people have to opt in/opt out and that they not spill over into the regular content in any way.

I would wonder what would be part of it (aside what was mentioned in the thread title).

Obviously topics such as mass shootings fit the bill listed but so do any thread that has to deal with the Royals because while those two topics couldn't be further apart from each other in level of seriousness both usually devolve into a weird back and forth jab after jab.

Something like the Federal Government making it available again to request free covid tests isn't generally controversial these days most especially with the topic no longer being a no-go. The most recent thread on it stayed (to my knowledge) very on topic and actually was how I even knew to order more tests (as I didn't back in the fall) but if that was labeled under the sub forum for an opt there would be posters who don't really involve themselves into more sensitive topics could miss that.

But mostly I would be concerned that by hiding it by an opt in/opt out would lead to even more of an echo chamber than some threads can be now. On the surface I can see why there's a level of wanting to protect people from seeing such topics. But on a deeper level I could see it turning away more posters who already complain about the vast amount of inane threads. Most of the time the complaints I'm seeing now are of that variety rather than of the years before the pandemic where it was political-based. I guess what I would be wondering is how much would be left on the Community Board that is already so much lighter in type of content than it was in years past and for infrequent posters or new posters how do they know where to go to join in that discussion.
I'm no mod but I get the sense that topics, even ones that might be pointed, are ok in a "How To" sort of way.

Things devolve when jabs start popping uo in the "Should or Should not" realm, or at least this is what it looks like to me.

I would expect "How To" to still stand and it would be great if the "Should or Should not" comments popped up or were directed to the new realm. At least, this would seem to be a judicious place to draw the line based on recent operating standards. For example, "How to get tests" in reg forum and "How to get tests - Part two" could be found in the sub. Maybe a fun boxing gloves ICON or some such next to a thread name to denote when a person could find more spirited chat in the alternate universe. This way, people who want to drop in passionate comments could know when they might want to consider requesting participation. The sub might grow to healthy proportions with indicators and the reg forums might stay cleaner if there is an outlet, as long as people remember where they are that is.

I'm no mod but I get the sense that topics, even ones that might be pointed, are ok in a "How To" sort of way.

Things devolve when jabs start popping uo in the "Should or Should not" realm, or at least this is what it looks like to me.

I would expect "How To" to still stand and it would be great if the "Should or Should not" comments popped up or were directed to the new realm. At least, this would seem to be a judicious place to draw the line based on recent operating standards. For example, "How to get tests" in reg forum and "How to get tests - Part two" could be found in the sub. Maybe a fun boxing gloves ICON or some such next to a thread name to denote when a person could find more spirited chat in the alternate universe. This way, people who want to drop in passionate comments could know when they might want to consider requesting participation. The sub might grow to healthy proportions with indicators and the reg forums might stay cleaner if there is an outlet, as long as people remember where they are that is.
I see where your line of thinking is coming from, truly do, but I think that could create a lot of additional work on both sides, moderation would have to step in to keep a strict "on topic" for the how to while directing people to the sub forum for other conversation, and then who determines what that other conversation falls into which could get posters in hot water when no ill intent was meant. That happened a lot during the covid topic ban.

Keeping with the topic of covid but not meant to be strictly about it some may see anything as covid as something they don't want to see on their news feed. Some threads may start as yes/no questions but the evolve into should or should not however that doesn't mean it's devolved into snipping or that it could be considered super controversial.

To give an example there was a recent post on the Transportation board asking if there was still a requirement for wearing masks. The person was asking because they hadn't traveled in a while. Posts contained factual information but also recommendations on doing what you feeling you should and anecdotal discussions around what people were doing. Nothing got mean, nothing devolved and it died a natural death in a relatively short time. But if you kept it as just a how to most of those posters would have gotten slaps on the hand for going off topic and told to go to the other sub forum for further discussion instead of just answering yes/no or "go to the airport/airline's website".

Covid tests was just one topic of I was thinking of but there's a lot more that are murky I think while there are less that are definitely straight-forward very controversial. This I think may be one of the hardest roles the admin and mods would have to come up with if creating a sub forum just for the topics.

I take part in some of the debate threads and I've noticed the more lenient approach. I appreciate it for sure. To me at least, these debates seem to kind of Peter out after awhile. Yes, some take longer than others, but in the end it's usually just a handful of people beating the dead horse (I've been that person a few times ;)). I'd be interested to see what a sub-forum would look like. People would have to really go looking for it if they want to continue to debate. So, in theory, it wouldn't disrupt the normal flow of the main board. We're all adults....I say let us debate from time to time. If it doesn't work...you can always reverse course.

I used to post on the Teton Gravity Research (ski and snowboard) forums quite a bit. They had (have?) a sub-group called "The Padded Room" that worked just like you suggest - no rules, nobody gets offended, put on your big-boy pants if you dare to click on it. Not only was the discussion more free, and believe it or not many times more civil than the other boards, it was also the most popular board by a good margin. I do recall it had some sort of pop-up that served as a warning that you might find content offensive so deal with it.

If the option is not being allowed to discuss "hot topics" at all vs having them on sub-forum then I think the sub-forum is a great idea. However, I would prefer these topics be allowed here on the community board. We are all adults and we should be able to discuss topics we as a community see fit to discuss. If someone does not want to discuss a topic then they can choose to no participate.

I would give it a whirl. I love reading a good debate and dabble in some myself. That is the beauty, if I realize it isn't for me, I don't click on it. Easy peasy.

I will readily admit, I have lacked posting in the past 2 months because it has been rather dead. (and my personal life has been hectic) No doubt I love a good pick me up post and some lighthearted fun ... hello, Funny Memes ... but those can feel lackluster and redundant at times. Need a little spice too.

Give it a trial run. If it goes way off course and heads down a bad path, squash it.

I remember the debate board and do miss it. I would love to see something like that here again, especially since it would allowed access by request. All here donā€™t have to see/participate in the conversations if they donā€™t want to, But I miss the good thought provoking conversations, and I have admitted before that opinions voiced here about gay people really helped me to change my views of them. And the change in me was for the good. So, if a sub board is created I would love to be a part of itšŸ™‚

Hello, everyone!

Some of you may know me, and I guarantee most of you don't. I've been around for a bit but recently started delving into the boards and re-evaluating some of our procedures. Lately, I've been personally approving all new registrations to prevent spam accounts from joining. Some slip through the cracks, but that's bound to happen.

Obviously, I don't want to disrupt what works, nor do I intend to dismantle or dismiss the hard work of our Moderators and Webmasters. I'd like to begin asking the community how to handle very controversial topics, especially here on the community board. You might have noticed a more lenient approach, like threads staying open longer than usual, comments deleted without infractions applied. This was all part of a test I've been conducting over the past few months and gathering feedback, similar to us publishing articles about Reedy Creek on wdwinfo.com but not allowing discussions here. I get it.

So, here we are, in a highly debatable world, discussing many topics. Although necessary at times, I really don't like to ban people, issue points, and repeatedly close threads. It's evident that many of you love Disney and other destinations, but some are also passionate about "highly" debatable topics in the world. I also want to ensure everyone here feels safe from "world drama" issues appearing in their feed.

Here is the questionā€¦ Would you find it beneficial if I created a sub-board where we can move and allow "hot topics" for a semi-un-moderated discussion? I would only allow access by request. If you are open to the potential "firestorm," then I'll grant you access, but you'll be required to accept certain terms before entering.

Unlike the past Debate Board, the threads here will not be visible or accessible to everyone. Itā€™s opt-in / opt-out.

The Community Board is a place for all topics that don't necessarily fit in with the others. It's a catch-all to discuss anything you want, but there are obvious limitations we must enforce to keep the peace.

Let me know if I'm crazy. šŸ™‚

Thanks,
Corey
I think it's a great idea.

Practical question (for which you may not have an answer at this time) - if a thread starts in the "main" board (and is suitable for that) but then veers into more controversial topics/discussions, what happens? Move entire thread? Close thread and restart? Leave thread but delete some posts (if needed) and suggest a new thread be started in the "hidden" board? Something else?

I like the fact that the moderation of our CB has allowed certain conversations to definitely go further than the way it was before this summer. I don't get very vocal on controversial topics but I do enjoy reading the many comments. If I agree or disagree; it doesn't matter. I love reading opinions and facts on both sides of the fence.
As I have scrolled thru the comments I can very much agree with Kitty 34. While I may not shy away from disagreements in my personal and work life I do tend to take a more conservative approach here on the boards. I don't want to get into a keyboard warrior back and forth with someone but I am very interested in ppls viewpoints on the topics we face today.

I remember the debate board and do miss it. I would love to see something like that here again, especially since it would allowed access by request. All here donā€™t have to see/participate in the conversations if they donā€™t want to, But I miss the good thought provoking conversations, and I have admitted before that opinions voiced here about gay people really helped me to change my views of them. And the change in me was for the good. So, if a sub board is created I would love to be a part of itšŸ™‚
Kudos to you for being open to change, and for being willing to admit it, too. :flower3:

Sign me up. I would love the opportunity to participate in discussions that interest me, and will simply refrain from any that don't. Just like in real life...KWIM?

If the option is not being allowed to discuss "hot topics" at all vs having them on sub-forum then I think the sub-forum is a great idea. However, I would prefer these topics be allowed here on the community board. We are all adults and we should be able to discuss topics we as a community see fit to discuss. If someone does not want to discuss a topic then they can choose to no participate.
I just do not understand how simply viewing a thread title seems so distressing to some. :confused3 Don't click it. Scroll by, just like the rest of us do with the inane questions threads and "Name a Song". Should we instead be insisting those threads not be allowed to exist?

I'd definitely be interested in a subforum. Like others, I wish some of the topics could just stay in the CB, but understand why they often can't.

My only concern is that even with more open guidelines or rules, it not turn into what some of my local FB pages have of just open hate.

I think it could be a good idea. My concern would be how to keep things fair for both sides of a debate. I would not want to see posts either be allowed to stay open or be shut down because they ā€œtendedā€ to lean a certain way politically. If both sides can be cordial then I would hope the posts would remain no matter what view any moderators may have on a subject.

I am concerned about that too. I am on some other forums. Some barely moderated and some are heavily moderated. The one that is heavily moderated (but different than the DIS because many things are allowed) is by someone who heavily leans one way politically. That's not a suspicion, it's public knowledge and there are no secrets about it. But on that particular forum it's very noticeable because things are deleted one "one side" and not on another. Certain posters that align with them are allowed to commit infractions freely while others that go against the moderators leanings are quickly removed for very minor things. Everyone has a bias or a leaning and that's fine but I think if such a forum is to have moderation, it probably needs at least two moderators that come from diverse backgrounds just to make sure that one viewpoint is not favored.

I would certainly appreciate a less moderated board where subjects that are on the line of acceptance in the general boards can be openly discussed. I think overall the moderation has been very good here, but have liked the little more leeway we've seen the last couple months. FlyerTalk operates a board called OMNI, that takes a certain number of posts before it shows up at all, the posts in that forum aren't included in post counts and the threads don't show up in trending topics or searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter