Controversial topic - watermelon

Always put salt on my watermelon. Must be a southern thing - everyone always salted their watermelon and cantaloupe growing up. Just experienced pepper on cantaloupe on a Disney cruise. My DH actually prefers pepper on his cantaloupe now.

I grew up with it salted and salt it to this day. I am not a fan of non-salted watermelon. Now that I think about it I salt pretty much all the melons I eat.

I never heard of this until I read about it here a few years ago. I tried it, and it was pretty whatever to me. Not bad, not great, not worth the extra salt consumption. I get enough salt elsewhere, I don't need to add it to my fruit.

I don't really like watermelons. But my family does the salted watermelon thing sometimes.

Salt or no salt? I grew up with salt but now I'm a no-salt. I'm eating some right now. Tempted to put salt on it to see if I still like it.

ETA: Tried it. It was good (brings out the sweetness) but I'll stick with no salt since I am on two HBP medicines.

With salt or Penzey's Pico Fruita

or in a margarita

I grew up with salted watermelon and cantaloupe. I don't generally salt it these days because it doesn't "need it" and I'm sure I eat enough salt elsewhere in my diet. But when I do get it (if someone else salts it and serves it), it's *so* good. I prefer it salted.

I had to google Tajin, but I'd be interested to try it.

What a timely thread! Dh freaked out Dd by salting his watermelon today. She refused to try it until I verified that it wasn’t a prank. 🤣

FWIW, she said it was ok, but better without.

No watermelon PERIOD!

⬆️ This. No crunchy sugar water for me!

I’ve never heard of it not a fan of watermelon but can’t imagine

I’ve never heard of salt on watermelon, but I shouldn’t be too surprised because my dad use to put pepper on his cantaloupe. From MD.
I lived in MD from the age of 8 until about 21 and then from 25-35. Never heard of anyone in MD putting pepper or salt on cantaloupe there. In fact, we got grief for it lol. Something else I've always done because my mom did (born and raised in TX also) was eating PB on saltines with canned peaches. Don't knock it til you try it.

I grew up on salted watermelon, but I’ll eat it without.

...........you must be from Hermiston Oregon, .....the west coast king of tasty watermelon!!!!!

I've never set foot in Oregon, actually. I'm from the Louisiana Delta.

I first encountered fruit-salters among the other military brats I knew; most of them were from the Carolinas, and of course, the aforementioned Texans.

I've never set foot in Oregon, actually. I'm from the Louisiana Delta.

I first encountered fruit-salters among the other military brats I knew; most of them were from the Carolinas, and of course, the aforementioned Texans.
When I was a kid, we salted watermelon. Probably came from my mother (from Kansas), but we were a military family, so it could have been picked up from some other family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter