Contemporary or Polynesian?

Bravesfan

Mouseketeer
We are going the week of Thanksgiving and our 11 yr old grandson will be staying with us. We have stayed at the Polynesian, but not Contemporary. The CR would be a garden wing - garden view or Polynesian standard view. Not sure we would be walking to MK from CR. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The only reason to stay at CR, IMHO, is for walking access to MK. Otherwise, as a resort, Poly is nicer - better theme, better pool, fewer stops to MK via monorail plus a walking path to TTC to catch the monorail to EP. If you aren't planning on walking to MK, I would not stay at CR.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think this is what I was hoping for. We do like the Polynesian.

Poly is a nicer resort to walk around, CR has more of a plain hotel feel. I'd say the only plus for CR would be the ability to walk to MK. Other than that i think the pool at Poly is nicer and it really makes you feel like you have been transported somewhere tropical.

We are going the week of Thanksgiving and our 11 yr old grandson will be staying with us. We have stayed at the Polynesian, but not Contemporary. The CR would be a garden wing - garden view or Polynesian standard view. Not sure we would be walking to MK from CR. Any opinions would be appreciated.
We would prefer Contemporary garden wing. Less hectic, more conveniently located, elegant rooms, classic hotel.

Its been my dream for years to stay at the Contemporary that monorail running thru the hotel gets my love of any kind of train going but my girls have vetoed it, they say its not Disney enough, their choice The Polynesian. Sigh have fun on your trip

I've never stayed at the Poly but it doesn't appeal to me. I am a fan of modern particularly mid mod aesthetic so the Contemporary was a pretty obvious choice for our first trip. We requested a quiet room in the Garden wing and we had the most gorgeous view of Bay lake anyone could ask for. Seriously, every morning was a joy watching the birds and other animals sunning themselves. There were some birds that lived there, we called them Wall E Birds, because the way they sunned themselves in the morning they reminded of us of Wall E getting his solar power for the day lol. I don't recall even hearing any of our neighbors. The only thing that we ever heard was the Electrical Water Pageant and after the first night that sound disappeared too.

So if you're looking for quiet and peaceful the Garden wing is a good choice. If a balcony is important to you, do not choose the garden wing as they don't have them. We enjoyed our view immensely but we did it through the view of the full length windows. Being so close to the lake there also lots of buggers who want to get in your room via the sliding door outside. So we mostly kept it shut.

A quick walk into the main building you're in the buzz of the Contemporary again. I read that at some point those garden wing rooms will be tore down to make way for another tower. I will be so sad if that does happen.

Thank you for the opinions and comments. We would be staying in the garden wing at the Contemporary. We will probably stay at the Polynesian.

Last pitch for Contemporary. I can’t compare because we have never stayed at poly. We have done beach club, animal kingdom and we have yacht club this fall (walking to SWGE) and Contemporary is our favorite by far. We stayed tower lake view so I can’t comment on garden view but convenience to Magic Kingdom and Fireworks is wonderful. We hate crowds and didn’t have park tickets one night and the view on the terrace at Contemporary is amazing. Tinker bell flies overhead. The pool is great if you want to sit and enjoy watching your child on the slide and swimming. It is simple but I don’t have to chase the children. Beach club/yacht club they have to leave the pool complex to get to either water slide and at Animal Kingdom lodge the beautiful foliage hides them from me. I’m not sure if poly foliage is similar. Just some things to consider.

The Contemporary underwhelmed me. I really missed the theming of other Disney resorts. We stayed in the garden wing and our room was adequate but nothing special. In my opinion, much of the Contemporary is unattractive. We barely ended up using the walkway because in the summer heat it was just too hot for us and the kids. I think going forward if I am to stay on the monorail, I will pick Poly or GF. CR is cheaper than both by a significant amount, but if you can afford the Poly I would hands down stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter