Contemporary (or bay lake) stay, for Toddlers?

atlbraves49

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip around the time of the 50th anniversary. Will be with a 4.5 year old, a 2.9 year old and a baby. The idea behind staying at contemporary is that we could walk to magic Kingdom at rope drop, spend a few hours, walk back to hotel for naps then go back to park again.

Is the walk that reasonable or are we expecting too much out of the proximity?

Likewise would bay lake work for the same purpose? It seems it may be cheaper to stay there.

Edit: Since people keep thinking I'm referring to a studio... the decision right now is between two 1-bedroom rooms at contemporary vs a 2-bedroom suite at bay lake tower. For 3 young ones, us the parents, and the kids 2 grandparents. So, 4 adults 3 kids.

Last edited:
The walk is amazing it's not long and after a late night it's easy to get out of MK. We have stayed at both BLT and tower Contemporary and the walk difference was negligible. I would request near the elevators at BLT tho, it was amazing just hopping on and going to floor 5 walking the bridge with the amazing view in the morning before getting food at contempo.

Yes yes a million times yes you have the right idea here!

We bought DVC and stay at Bay Lake for the walk. It's literally priceless. Until they finish the walkway from the Grand Floridian, it is the ONLY way you could load up your stroller with all the gazillion kid items, and not have to fold it for the entire day for either MK or Epcot. We'd set up our little one in the stroller with his milk and snacks in his snack tray, the nice 10-min walk over, the very limited security gate (only for walkway people) line is SO pleasant and friendly and short even during peak times, and you just walk right on through.

Midday breaks are a breeze there - 10-15 minutes from anywhere in MK to your room.

At the end of the MK fireworks after a long day, we can load the kids up, and within 15 minutes have them in bed!

My kids are now 5 and 8 and we don't use a stroller anymore, but for the trips we took during their younger years... it was everything we wanted. So easy. So much less stress. The days we had to take the bus we really felt the difference, I tell you!

Also... a couple trips we stayed a few days at other resorts (usually AKL). I was super shocked that the kiddos preferred Bay Lake... I think at that age, they were overwhelmed by lots of things, but the resort was a cool calming place...straightforward pool area with a straightforward slide, and after all the stuff in the parks, I think on some level they LIKED the simple decor of BLT.

Thank you (both)! Thoughts on trying to get a park-view room at BLT? Because of early bedtimes, we were thinking of going back to the room before fireworks and just letting them watch from there.

Also regarding stroller(s)...
1) is a long double stroller, or 2 individual strollers preferable for the 3 & <1 year old?
2) How would we handle visiting hollywood studios (I noticed you mentioned MK and Epcot for not having to fold up strollers)

Thank you (both)! Thoughts on trying to get a park-view room at BLT? Because of early bedtimes, we were thinking of going back to the room before fireworks and just letting them watch from there.

1) is a long double stroller, or 2 individual strollers preferable for the 3 & <1 year old?
2) How would we handle visiting hollywood studios (I noticed you mentioned MK and Epcot for not having to fold up strollers)

When visiting DHS or AK from BLT or CR, you would fold up your strollers and take a bus. Minnie Vans are also available at an additional cost (they provide car seats), but you would have to fold strollers to utilize them as well.

Yes the walk is very fast and easy from both resorts. It takes us 7 minutes. I like CR since that’s where the restaurants, shops, etc are located. The monorail stop is in the CR, too. Both are fantastic. If you can get a tpv room, you can watch fireworks from your room and you’ll have a great view of the castle. I like those rooms because when I’m hanging out in the room, I sit on the balcony and feel like I’m ‘still there’ enjoying the MK scene.

That is what we did for at least one night. It is definitely a relaxing way to see them from the comfort of your own balcony. As far as the walk, it isn’t bad at all. It makes it way nicer at the end of day as the lines for the monorail can be long and hectic. During the day, you can always just do the monorail if you are tired and need a break. We stayed at Bay Lake, and it is connected by a walkway to the Contemporary. It’s not much of a difference when it comes to distance. We did a split stay at CB and Bay Lake. The distances to everything seemed much more difficult at CB after a long day at the park.

While we weren't a fan of CR except for the proximity to MK, if you want to be taking young children back to a resort during the day, I'd say that CR is probably the best one to stay at. It's much faster to walk than to take the monorail so really convenient. And if you want to go from CR to any resort, you can walk over to the MK bus stop where you can get a bus to pretty much everywhere as the buses from CR only go to parks and Disney Springs.

Is it accurate that we have to wait until 11 months (or fewer) out to try to book a room at Bay Lake Tower? Davids vacation club rental is what we've been referred to for that so far.

Should we just reserve a refundable reservation at the Contemporary, sooner than that, and cancel if we cant get Bay Lake Tower? It sounds like BLT will be much cheaper... Going w/ childrens grandparents so probably need 2 rooms (2 single rooms at contemporary, or a 2 room suite at BLT).

If you are set on a specific date, book your Contemporary rooms as soon as you can.

You will not be able to get the BLT booking through David’s until 11 months from your check-in date. You should make your request and they can line up an owner before then.

Last edited:
Agree with PP. We had DVC when kids were little and having the room available in the villa as well as an in-room washer/dryer is invaluable. We used a tandem double stroller in the park (long one you are referring to).

My last trip (with 2 toddlers and a baby) we stayed at the Contemporary. Frankly, I didn't love it. The walk wasn't particularly close in my opinion, especially in the scorching summer sun. It would similarly be a long walk in the rain. Our almost two-year-old frequently gave us a hard time about riding in the stroller, so that didn't help things. We ended up opting to ride the monorail more often than not. We didn't walk nearly as much as I thought we would. I don't particularly care for the aesthetic of the contemporary, so I am not rushing to stay there again. The Contemporary felt drab and unthemed. We much preferred the Grand Floridian or the WL. I've stayed up most of the Disney resorts at all levels and contemporary might have been my least favorite of all. Just our experience.

I would not book a studio at BLT with 3 children and 2 adults, even if one is an infant. Stuffed a pack and play and unfolding the sofa into that unit is painful. They are the smallest studios in DVC. Naps will be a real chore stuffed in like that.

A 1BR will be much better, but it is unlikely to be cheaper than a Contemporary Garden Wing unit, which is built for 5 and is both bigger and uses space better.

If you are considering booking CR, I would highly recommend looking at the Garden Wing rooms. They are located in a building next to the main tower and are, typically, the lowest priced rooms on the monorail. What is great about these rooms (particularly if you have a stroller or ECV) is you don't have to contend with the elevators in the main tower which can get really congested. The only time you would need to use an elevator is when utilizing the monorail or going up to the 4th floor for QS or Chef Mickey's From the Garden Wing, you simply leave your room and walk to the path to MK - easy peasy. The rooms are huge and they also have a few suites in the building which accommodate your whole family, so I would definitely price out a number of options.

We weren't looking at a studio. for 3 kids, 4 adults, we were considering either 2 single bedrooms at contemporary or the 2-bedroom suite at BLT.

Just got back from a week at BLT. The walk to MK is very short, maybe ten minutes at the most. It's very convenient at the end of a day when the lines for the monorail can be long, though it is fun to take the monorail when it's quiet. The pool at BLT is nearer to the rooms and a bit more private than the one at the Contemporary, though you can use both.

If you get a lake view room there (cheaper than a park room and actually a nicer view) , you can go into the public areas of the hotel to watch the MK fireworks and get to see the (later) electric water pageant from your balcony. You can also see the fireworks from Epcot and HS from the lake view rooms, albeit in the distance.

We weren't looking at a studio. for 3 kids, 4 adults, we were considering either 2 single bedrooms at contemporary or the 2-bedroom suite at BLT.
Wasn't sure if you might have been thinking two studios. Still a terrible idea. Naps still awful.

Just got back from a week at BLT. The walk to MK is very short, maybe ten minutes at the most. It's very convenient at the end of a day when the lines for the monorail can be long, though it is fun to take the monorail when it's quiet. The pool at BLT is nearer to the rooms and a bit more private than the one at the Contemporary, though you can use both.

If you get a lake view room there (cheaper than a park room and actually a nicer view) , you can go into the public areas of the hotel to watch the MK fireworks and get to see the (later) electric water pageant from your balcony. You can also see the fireworks from Epcot and HS from the lake view rooms, albeit in the distance.

This is a really interesting idea, and for the length of the trip, looks like it'd save a ton of money... very tempting..

We are planning a trip around the time of the 50th anniversary. Will be with a 4.5 year old, a 2.9 year old and a baby. The idea behind staying at contemporary is that we could walk to magic Kingdom at rope drop, spend a few hours, walk back to hotel for naps then go back to park again.

Is the walk that reasonable or are we expecting too much out of the proximity?

Likewise would bay lake work for the same purpose? It seems it may be cheaper to stay there.

We've stayed at Contemporary twice now with littles (4 and 3 and 2 and 1) at the end of August. We absolutely LOVE the ability to walk to/from MK. The walk is easy and security check was easy as well. The BLT studio would be tight. We loved the theme park view room at the Contemporary but it was in the sun all day. We actually preferred the lake view room because we could be out on the balcony while the kids napped without being scorched by the sun and views of the water pageant at night. The theme park view room was nice when it came to watching the fireworks from the balcony though, especially the fireworks from MNSSHP, however, you could easily watch them from the public areas of the Contemporary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter