Contemporary Garden Wing - Yea or Nay?

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
Looking at a fall break trip to salvage some flight credits before they expire, plus we have some COVID-scuttled Disney World tickets that we can take advantage of. Our first choice was DVC Bay Lake Tower, because we absolutely loved the ability to walk to the Magic Kingdom instead of waiting (and hoping) for a bus/monorail/etc. That looks like it's not going to be available, because I'm super late planning this by Disney standards.

So I'm working on my backup plans. Contemporary Garden Wing rooms are available, but I keep reading "avoid" opinions. Tower rooms appear to be sold out for our dates, which are locked in by the schools. I know a walkway from the Grand Floridian is now available as well...but those rooms are $200 more a night. We're needing a room with three beds, so that's limiting us to Art of Animation, a handful of other moderates, and the deluxe resorts...which have the advantage of getting us walking access to the MK. So that's my lean at this time.

But I have to ask...is the "Garden Wing" of the Contemporary really that bad? Yeah, I get that the tower is better, but it appears sold out. And while I'm not opposed to spending the extra $200 a night (plus tax), I'm not sure there's much of a benefit to that money.

The garden wing is not that bad at all—especially since all rooms have been redone. The walkway to the tower is covered. I don’t think $200/night more is worth it for GF. You’d be in an outer building there as well and those are not covered.

P.S. keep checking—you never know when a tower room might open up.

I prefer the garden wing at CR. It's quieter and it's a quicker walk to the MK path and lobby. Plus easier access to everything on the 4th floor, IMHO, as you never have to contend with tower elevators. Although you will miss out on the views you would get on higher floors in the tower, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the garden wing.

Loved staying at the garden wing. Close to the pool, quiet, and a quick walk to the lobby. I think the tower is just so noisy.

I would just recommend doing some research and requesting a room based on that. We stayed at CR on one of our first Disney trips before I realized you could even request things. We had a TERRIBLE room - it was all the way down at the "T" and out our window, all we saw was a concrete wall. If we ever stay there again, I would definitely request a room much closer to the tower.

DVC just opened booking for all members for the new Grand Floridian wing a couple days ago. If you rent points now, it might still be available.

It has three beds and the walking path.

I think the garden rooms are better. The tower rooms are so, so noisy! I really like the patio rooms.

Love the Garden Wing. We have stayed there twice and I definitely would again. The walk to the main lobby is minimal. Like someone else said, probably quicker than waiting for an elevator. Reduced cost is a plus as well, even though you said you didn't mind paying the extra.

With the updated rooms, a great choice. Best value on the monorail loop. As others have said, a reasonable walk to the Magic Kingdom. Make sure to review the descriptions of the room categories. Also, remember that room requests are just that, requests.

OP - keep checking, I was able to book three nights in a studio @ BLT yesterday to flush out a mid October trip We had in place @ Universal. Woot

We’ve enjoyed both BLT (points) & CR (cash) several times but, for that area, typically land at WL where we have points.

On the boat ride over to MK from there, early & late in the day, often muse how noisy the guest rooms must be with all the boat whistles? That, along with the distance to lobby vibe & monorail, has been enough for us to skip booking them.

YMMV, something for everyone!

I did put in a request for BLT, which was quickly scuttled, so I went ahead with a request for the Grand Floridian resort studio through David's. I was pleasantly surprised with David's price; about $400 less than what I thought for the five nights. Still not a fan of the decor I see in the pictures, but hey, we're mostly just sleeping there. (Which is ironic to say, considering the GF is Disney's most expensive resort and supposedly the finest. But it has availability, thanks to the new addition...)

And I decided that I needed to get on it, because on Tuesday, the room at the Contemporary Garden Wing sold out, rendering my question null-and-void. (Waiting cost me nearly another $700 in airfare for this trip as fares increased, so off we go!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter