Contemporary garden wing renovation going on now??

Minnie0424

Earning My Ears
Hi, I have a trip starting in about 2 weeks booked in the garden wing and I’m concerned about construction noise after seeing reports the renovation is going on currently. Can I expect a notice prior to my arrival if my reservation is being moved to another resort? Or should I just anticipate being in the construction area? Anybody been recently that had an idea of what’s going on at the garden wing?
Thanks for any advice!

I'm in the same boat. Our Trip is April 2-10 and we are booked in the Garden Wing. At this point our travel agent is telling us that they have no plans to move us so I'm assuming that they are doing the construction in sections and we are going to be staying in a construction zone. Not ideal considering the price of these rooms! I guess we just have to wait and see since it seems to be impossible to reach the actual hotel. If anyone visits the Contemporary soon and has any details, please let us know!

Granted construction has a way of coming together quickly at times, but I would be surprised if you aren’t moved. It did not look ready when I was there a few weeks ago. I saw at least one finished room on the outer wing (from what little could be seen from public areas) but the closer in rooms were still very much demo status from the looks of things. Unless they are going to do a phased reopening with maybe an outer chunk of rooms opening with work still ongoing on inner areas… although this seems logistically unlikely to me.

Following. We are due to arrive on April 4th and paid full rack rate for the garden view room so I am very interested to see how this goes.

I am following this thread with interest! We have a reservation in the Garden wing at CR on 7 April for a few nights. MDE checkin worked without comment a couple of days ago but this means little, I guess, as no room is yet allocated!

I am following this thread with interest! We have a reservation in the Garden wing at CR on 7 April for a few nights. MDE checkin worked without comment a couple of days ago but this means little, I guess, as no room is yet allocated!
Rooms are normally assigned 3-5 days prior to check in, so don't worry!

We are headed down at the end of May so I am following along for any updates. With GF also under construction, I would assume moving folks to tower and BLT🤷🏻‍♀️

Rooms are normally assigned 3-5 days prior to check in, so don't worry!
Indeed, which is why the acceptance by Disney of a garden wing check in provides no guide as to where one might end up. A move to the tower would be nice! We will be moving round to MK area from a couple of weeks at the Caribbean Beach so would prefer not to be transferred to an Epcot Resort! Pretty much anything on 7 seas would be more than acceptable. Even given all the negative stuff about the company recently around the internet, I still have confidence that Disney will see us right.

Indeed, which is why the acceptance by Disney of a garden wing check in provides no guide as to where one might end up. A move to the tower would be nice! We will be moving round to MK area from a couple of weeks at the Caribbean Beach so would prefer not to be transferred to an Epcot Resort! Pretty much anything on 7 seas would be more than acceptable. Even given all the negative stuff about the company recently around the internet, I still have confidence that Disney will see us right.
Why are you thinking you will be moved? Has Disney contacted you? They would not move you to another resort without reaching out. People have been staying in the wings all during the construction. I would plan on being in a garden wing room, they can do construction in sections due to the layout of the wings. They can work on one section without interfering with the other. Of course there is always a chance you could be moved to the main building, but don’t have that expectation.

Why are you thinking you will be moved? Has Disney contacted you? They would not move you to another resort without reaching out. People have been staying in the wings all during the construction. I would plan on being in a garden wing room, they can do construction in sections due to the layout of the wings. They can work on one section without interfering with the other. Of course there is always a chance you could be moved to the main building, but don’t have that expectation.
I am not "thinking I will be moved" but others have reported that they have been moved to the tower without any previous contact from Disney: after all this would be an upgrade! People were moved to other resorts during the tower refurb. And there is chat out there that the garden wing is indeed closed. I have not seen anything from anyone who was in the garden wing during this construction. So I think I am legitimately interested in what the possibilities might be. I will judge any room allocation on its merits: garden wing would be fine provided the construction isn't too obtrusive. We have been in other resorts where construction was in progress. The fact that the main pool at the CR will be out of commission this time worries us not at all! By virtue of the pandemic we have had this reservation for some months before the refurb got underway.

They were unloading a lot of mattresses at the Grand Floridian on my monorail run last Tuesday so maybe this will be available sooner.

I am not "thinking I will be moved" but others have reported that they have been moved to the tower without any previous contact from Disney: after all this would be an upgrade! People were moved to other resorts during the tower refurb. And there is chat out there that the garden wing is indeed closed. I have not seen anything from anyone who was in the garden wing during this construction. So I think I am legitimately interested in what the possibilities might be. I will judge any room allocation on its merits: garden wing would be fine provided the construction isn't too obtrusive. We have been in other resorts where construction was in progress. The fact that the main pool at the CR will be out of commission this time worries us not at all! By virtue of the pandemic we have had this reservation for some months before the refurb got underway.
Main pool under construction?? I thought the pool thing was happening 2023–not this summer?!?

Just FYI, the main pool construction is in 2023, not now. Also just confirming that you are correct - the Garden Wing was open while Tower rooms were under renovation, but when renovations were moved to the Garden Wing it has been totally offline. Not saying they couldn’t do some sort of phased reopening at some point, but to me that would be unlikely anytime soon based on what you can see on the ground this week. Hope that helps.

Just FYI, the main pool construction is in 2023, not now. Also just confirming that you are correct - the Garden Wing was open while Tower rooms were under renovation, but when renovations were moved to the Garden Wing it has been totally offline. Not saying they couldn’t do some sort of phased reopening at some point, but to me that would be unlikely anytime soon based on what you can see on the ground this week. Hope that helps.
Thanks for this. As far as the pool is concerned I apologise for misreading something, somewhere! In any event, although improved since our first stay back in 1993, the CR pool has never been our favourite: not really enough shade. And pools are a low priority anyway for me!!!! Our children now have children of their own and are well able to take care of all pool time!

Agree. The thing I’m confused about though is that they took the garden wing offline until about early June. That would make think they were going to move people. But then very recently all these garden wing rooms opened up in April and May and June, so if they are letting people book, are they really going to move everyone. I haven’t heard any actual recent reports back as whether or not people have actually been staying in the garden wing….

Last edited:
Looks I’m first to arrive, I’ll report back the situation once I get there or before if I hear something.
We arrived tonight. Staying in the garden wing. Rooms look like online photos of incredibles rooms in tower. Part of the garden wing is still curtained off. We talked to a cast member who said we were the first ones in the room. The section opened just opened today.

We arrived tonight. Staying in the garden wing. Rooms look like online photos of incredibles rooms in tower. Part of the garden wing is still curtained off. We talked to a cast member who said we were the first ones in the room. The section opened just opened today.
So exciting for you!!!

Would love if you were able to post some photos, we are hopefully staying in garden wing late August. Curiosity is getting better of me! Must be nice being first in a room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter