Contemporary Garden Wing Refurbishment

MamaBearE3

Earning My Ears
Going in mid-March and just wondering what's going on with the Garden Wing at The Contemporary-- it sounds like construction has maybe started? Anyone been there recently that can confirm? Wondering if we will get switched or be dealing with construction noise while we're there. Thanks!

Going in mid-March and just wondering what's going on with the Garden Wing at The Contemporary-- it sounds like construction has maybe started? Anyone been there recently that can confirm? Wondering if we will get switched or be dealing with construction noise while we're there. Thanks!

Take this with a grain of salt as you know how CM info can be, but when I was there recently I was told the Garden Wing would start after Thanksgiving week. I haven’t been there since Thanksgiving week to physically see, so not sure current status.

Regardless if they’ve started now or wait until after the new year, my guess/assumption (key word) is your mid-March reservation is definitely in jeopardy of being moved.

About how long did the tower refurb take? I want to say about 5-6 months, but can’t remember the exact start date?

Don't recall timing on tower updates either. Due to covid probably some material availability issues and most large companies cut back/slow down non-essential expenditures to conserve cash. Thought I saw an older thread where they showed a few pictures of the updated rooms. When Contemporary was first built, the idea was to easily update the rooms by sliding out the old module and replace it with a new one. However, that hasn't worked out since there was some settling of the foundation making that impractical, but was a good idea at the time.

I went past on the boat from WL a few days ago and they were working on one of the rooms facing the lake. They had the window out and were pulling out materials on a cherry picker.

We are here now, staying at BLT, and I literally was just saying that to my husband. I’m shocked they haven’t knocked down the Garden wing and built a BLT2. To be honest, they aren’t great looking from the outside anyway.

We are here now, staying at BLT, and I literally was just saying that to my husband. I’m shocked they haven’t knocked down the Garden wing and built a BLT2. To be honest, they aren’t great looking from the outside anyway.

This was discussed on a recent show, I believe.

It’s because the foundation the garden wing is built on can’t support a heavier structure, such as a second tower.

The original plan was to have two towers, and the main Contemporary building in the center.

Hi! Have you had your trip? Did you end up being moved or were some of the rooms in the garden wing finished and you were able to stay there? Also wondering what’s going on with construction of the garden wing. Traveling early April. Thanks for any info 😊

Hi! Have you had your trip? Did you end up being moved or were some of the rooms in the garden wing finished and you were able to stay there? Also wondering what’s going on with construction of the garden wing. Traveling early April. Thanks for any info 😊

Arrived yesterday and upon check in was told we were moved to the main tower (from reserved garden wing). No complaints-was provided a MK view and able to watch fireworks from balcony! Kids think we are royalty lol. From what we could see, the garden wing is blocked off and from night swim it looked like the rooms inside were getting soft good updates in the Incredibles them as the decor looked like the colors in our tower room. Have a magical time!

Arrived yesterday and upon check in was told we were moved to the main tower (from reserved garden wing). No complaints-was provided a MK view and able to watch fireworks from balcony! Kids think we are royalty lol. From what we could see, the garden wing is blocked off and from night swim it looked like the rooms inside were getting soft good updates in the Incredibles them as the decor looked like the colors in our tower room. Have a magical time!
Thanks for the update! Enjoy!!

Thank you for updating! Enjoy your trip (and amazing views)!

Interesting that you got no call ahead of time. Thanks for the update. Have a good trip.

How are the elevators staying in the tower? I avoid the tower because we have three kiddos and two strollers, but I am feeling it is inevitable that we will be bumped to tower because of the construction in garden wing!

Thank you for updating! Enjoy your trip (and amazing views)!
Thanks for updating us! We arrive on Saturday morning with a Garden View reservation and I'm guessing the same thing will happen to us. Our travel agent swears that we aren't going to get moved and when I call guest services they tell me that "The construction was in the tower, not the Garden Wing and it is over and it won't affect our stay" It's so weird how Disney is being so secretive about it when they were pretty open about the tower construction. I guess we just have to show up and find out! I'll keep everyone posted on what happens when we get there.

We are arriving Friday, just waiting to see what will happen. For those currently at the contemporary, with the garden wing closed, is there a self serve laundry option? Gonna be there for 9 days, will have to do some laundry 😬

Thanks for updating us! We arrive on Saturday morning with a Garden View reservation and I'm guessing the same thing will happen to us. Our travel agent swears that we aren't going to get moved and when I call guest services they tell me that "The construction was in the tower, not the Garden Wing and it is over and it won't affect our stay" It's so weird how Disney is being so secretive about it when they were pretty open about the tower construction. I guess we just have to show up and find out! I'll keep everyone posted on what happens when we get there.
That’s so weird that they are being less than upfront about the construction until you arrive. Hope everything works out well. Keep us posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter