• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contacts Cleaning Tips?

NateNLogansDad

Still Wish'n
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use or not use for cleaning the contacts on the body and also the lens on your camera?

I've read about something called De-Oxit but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone uses anything different or has regretted using something else for some reason.

Use a dry brush, like an artist's brush, to take loose dirt off. Make sure you're holding the lens so that dust will fall down and away, rather than on the back lens element. Get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Pour a little into the bottle cap, dip the end of a cotton swab into the liquid, squeeze out the excess alcohol from the swab (you just want it moist), then drape a microfiber cloth over the wet swab end. The moisture in the swab should go through the microfiber cloth, making it slightly damp. Use that damp end to wipe the contacts. Then wrap a dry, clean portion of the microfiber cloth on the dry end of the cotton swab and use that to wipe the area you just wet-wiped. Lightly lay the lens cap and leave it for about ten minutes to make sure it's thoroughly dry before you tighten the cap or try attaching it to the camera.

Follow the same procedures for the camera body mount contacts, hotshoe, flash foot, etc. Of course, makes sure that everything is off and batteries are removed when you do this. Make sure you have plenty of light and that you see where you are wiping (don't poke around there blindly). Hold the lens & camera body so debris will fall down & out, not in. Allow plenty of time for the contacts to dry fully before you put in any batteries, tighten caps, or attach/use the camera/lens.

I've heard that a quick, in-the-field way to clean the lens contacts is to use a rubber pencil eraser. That might be fine until you can do the more thorough cleaning, but my concern is that it might add dust to the sensor.

My concern with using rubbing alcohol is that it contains approximately 70% water. Isopropyl alcohol is water-free and would evaporate more quickly and completely. Sensor cleaning fluid appears to be pure alcohol and may be a good choice (and many of us already have some).
Contact cleaner (sold at an auto parts store) may be even better.

I have used pencil erasers before but the gold plating on contacts is so thin now that I hesitate to use any abrasive cleaning method unless the chemical methods do not work.

Bob, you're exactly right. It's Isopropyl that I use. I'll correct my post. Thanks for catching that.

I tried the Isopropyl but still having some issues.

I just got my Nikon D5100 and slapped my trusty Sigma 18-250 lens on there. Through the viewfinder it's spot on and locks in very quickly. Using the live view through the LCD, the focus ring will turn smoothly when trying to focus far away. It's when the ring needs to turn in the opposite direction (I.E. go from far away to close-up) it only moves about 1/8 of an inch at a time and freezes.

I spoke with Nikon and Sigma and they both think it might be a connection issue. I might try the stuff you mentioned Bob from the auto store tonight. Is that the stuff in the aerosol can? I may have some of that already but I'll need to check.

Any other thoughts I could try before I send it in for service next week?

(b/t/w I put the kit lens back on the body and it works five in live view.)

The only automotive contacts cleaner I've ever used came from an aerosol can and worked like WD-40. If you try it, don't spray it directly on the lens! Spray it elsewhere to get a little pool of liquid and try the same procedure I posted using alcohol. Honestly, if the alcohol didn't work, I don't think contact cleaner will do any better.

The fact that the kit lens works fine leads me to believe that it's a problem with the Sigma lens, not the camera body. The fact that the Sigma lens only exhibits this problem in Live View, not in standard viewfinder mode leads me to believe that it's not a problem with the contacts. Third-party lenses from Sigma and Tamron occasionally have quality control problems with their chips for specific body brands. Send the lens back to Sigma for repair. If you know anyone else with a Nikon body, try your lens on their body and see if it has the same problem. If you don't know anyone with a Nikon, maybe try a local camera store.

Will do.

The people I spoke with over at Sigma were telling me that there are different contacts when using live view than when you are using your viewfinder. I don't know anything about them so I was just going by what they said :confused3

My brother has a D3100 and a friend of mine ordered his D5100 the same time I did. I'll try them both out this weekend and post back. I'm sure I'll need to send it to Sigma but it will have to wait a little bit, there's 2 weddings this month that I want to try it out at. After all, it still takes pictures:thumbsup2

I tried the Isopropyl but still having some issues.

I might try the stuff you mentioned Bob from the auto store tonight. Is that the stuff in the aerosol can? I may have some of that already but I'll need to check.

Any other thoughts I could try before I send it in for service next week?

(b/t/w I put the kit lens back on the body and it works five in live view.)

This is kind of late but: yes, the contact cleaner spray comes in a can (CRC QD is what I use and it is mostly methanol). I would not spray it directly on anything in a camera, spray it on a lint free cloth/wipe. As noted, if the isopropyl did not work then the contact cleaner probably will not help either.

Some third party lenses need firmware updates to work with newer camera or functions, perhaps Sigma has heard of this issue already and will update your lens.

This is kind of late but: yes, the contact cleaner spray comes in a can (CRC QD is what I use and it is mostly methanol). I would not spray it directly on anything in a camera, spray it on a lint free cloth/wipe. As noted, if the isopropyl did not work then the contact cleaner probably will not help either.

Some third party lenses need firmware updates to work with newer camera or functions, perhaps Sigma has heard of this issue already and will update your lens.

Thank you very much, I'll take late over never any day of the week. Right now I'm going to sit and wait. My cousins wedding is next weekend and I'd like to play around for a bit with it there. I have not tried the spray but I will before I send it in. Sigma said they hadn't heard anything about it yet but who knows, it's still a young camera.

I will post back once I figure out what's going on.

I've used a pencil eraser to clean corrosion from electrical contacts for many years. You don't need a really rough one, or to press really hard to get the worst grunge off. Gentle will work fine and minimize the chance of wearing away the actual metal. I also agree that a little alcohol on a swab is a good first step.

Are you sure it's just dirt/corrosion?

Most contacts have some sort of 'pressure' mechanism to make sure that a good connection is made. Spring loaded pins for example. Often times the pressure mechanism has some type of mechanical problem that prevents it from working - a bit of sand in the channel of a contact that prevents the contact from sliding back and forth. You might give everything a little 'wiggle' with a toothpick or something to make sure things move easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter