Contact lenses on rides???

luvthatdisney

DIS Veteran
We leave in 14 days for our 25th anniversary trip!

Today, my DD(15) said she was a bit worried about riding the "fast" rides with her contact lenses. She has only worn them for about a year and is concerned one will fly out on the roller coasters. I too wear contacts (have for years), but I do not ride alot of the faster rides. TT is about as fast as I get!!!

Has anyone had problems with their contacts on the roller coasters? She does have glasses, but is hesitant to wear them on the rides. Our last trip to WDW was 5 years ago and she did not have glasses back then.

She is also concerned about the water park "big" rides. She said she would just not wear anything and ler her BF that is going with us lead her around. There has to be an alternative.

Does anyone have any advice I can share with her so she will not worry?

I had no problems on rides with my contacts, but really remind her to use her drops when her eyes feel dry!! and NOT to sleep in them, even for a nap!! I had one of mine get stuck in my eye last July, I had never had that problem in 10 yrs of wearing contacts! It took me over a day to get it out and it was not fun!

not sure for the water parks, I'd just leave them out for them...

I've never had that problem, either. But re-wetting drops are definitely a necessity, even with Florida's humidity!

I usually wear glasses while I am at home, but when I go out or go on vacation I wear my contacts. I am a huge rollercoaster fanactic and have no problems with them on faster rides, not even Test Track or Expedition Everest. I have worn my contacts at Typhoon Lagoon and have had no issues. Just make sure when going under your eyes are closed and when you come up wipe the water out of your face before opening your eyes. I also have had tinted swim goggles that I will wear if going on a very splashy ride/ I hope this helps, and wish your family fun:cool1:

I've never had a problem with my contacts on any of the coasters at Disney. Follow everyone's advice about the eye drops though.
Has she gone swimming in her contacts before? I have had trouble with mine in a wave pool before but they didn't fit the best and had a tendency of slipping anyways.

A helpful note so that you can keep your eyes open on Rockin Rollercoaster - close your eyes when you 'launch' so that you can open them for the ride!
When I rode it for the first time, the launch was like having a 60-mph wind gust in your face! My contacts felt like they shriveled up in my eyes and I had to keep my eyes shut almost the whole time! I could squint and peek a bit, but it sucked!
The next time I rode, I closed my eyes for the launch, and the rest of the ride was much better!

I wear contact lenses and have been for years. The only ride that ever gives me problems is Test Track when you get to the outside part. So, I just keep my eyes closed. Problem solved. :)

Never any problems for me on rides or at waterparks. I do take drops just in case. Hopefully, with all of us saying the same thing, she'll feel better about wearing them.

Happy Anniversary!

Thanks guys!!!

I read her all of your responses and she feels alot better. I always carry re-wetting drops with me, but only use them occassionally. I will make sure I take them into the parks with me (I might need them too ;))

We are also going to get her some goggles for the water park. Of course, she balked at that as most teenagers do not want to wear them (little kid thing), but she said she would just wear them around her neck (like a necklace) and put them on if the need arises (one of the big water rides or actual swimming. usually when she swims at home, she does not wear anything or wears her glasses. She is afraid she will lose the glasses at the water parks. So much to think about!!!

I've never had any problems on any of the rides, waterparks or swimming. I always make sure I have an extra pair with me just in case;)

I wear contact lenses and have been for years. The only ride that ever gives me problems is Test Track when you get to the outside part. So, I just keep my eyes closed. Problem solved. :)

I really don't know how there could be much to worry about with contacts. The lenses form a slight vacuum with the eyeball and unless your eyes are wide open (meaning completely exposing the lens):scared1: there should be no problem. So all you really have to do is squint a little and everything will be fine.:cool2::3dglasses:hippie::smooth:

Now take that same test track ride with glasses and you are holding on to them constantly. That is the only ride that has ever affected my glasses at Disney.

Awesome advice everyone. I was worried about this too, as I am going back to disneyworld in april next year, so excited!
Once, I was near a landing helicopter, (by near I mean maybe 30metres) and the wind from the propellers caused my contact to fly out of my eye and land on my cheek. I guess that the coasters at disney won't be strong enough to do this though?

I wear contacts too and have never had a problem. Just make sure to bring the rewetting drops into the parks with you! Also, I found it soothing to take my contacts out once we got back to our room and wear my glasses for a few hours after a hot bright day in the parks. I hope you have a great trip!

I never had any major problems. I thought I was going to lose one when I was on Space Mountain so I just closed my eyes for a couple seconds.

Six of twelve of our group wear contacts. All but one of us has been to Disney many many times and never have had a contact problem. The boys also have been many much higher speed coasters (like the Hulk at Universal Studios and Manta at Seaworld) and also never have lost a contact.

Does she have disposable lenses? Most contacts are now disposable, so it's always a good idea to have an extra pair on the trip with you.

As for the water parks, my sons/nephews also wear their contacts and never have lost one. I'm not quite that trusting, I just wear my glasses when we go to the water parks and put them in my shoe when I'm not wearing them. Hard to lose them when you have to put your shoes back on to leave;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter