Considering to split resorts during our stay

Would you change resorts during your trip to have different experiences?

• Total voters

justrishere

Earning My Ears
We're going to WDW for 5-7 days in July 2022 and this will probably be our last time with our 17-year-old son. He's actually doing a workshop and a performance there with his theatre group. In the past, we've stayed at Pop Century and Port Orleans French Quarters. French Quarters was excellent. It's so easy to get around that resort. I absolutely love the boat ride to Disney Springs. I love the cobblestone and the romantic feeling there. I'd stay there again, but the pool is too juvenile for a teen. I think I like the Caribbean Beach for a teen, but I would love to stay at a deluxe resort if I could afford it. What are your thoughts about staying at Caribbean Beach for most nights, but splurging and switching during the same trip to stay a night or two at a deluxe? Is it worth the experience to stay at a deluxe resort for a short time, or are we better off staying in one location for the entire trip, and avoiding the hassle of changing locations?

We have done spilt stays many times.

If you are going to do a Deluxe, then I suggest at least 2 nights to get a real feel for it. With one night, there’s not a lot of time between check-in and check-out.

Do the Deluxe on the back end of your trip. Upgrading rooms is an easier transition than downgrading.

Caribbean Beach is probably my least favorite Moderate. It’s the oldest Moderate and it sometimes shows its age. But it does get you on the Skyliner.

Consider Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge as your Deluxe Resort. They tend to be the least expensive Deluxes but are wonderful hotel experiences.

Btw, I lied on the poll. I don't think splits are great. I'd rather unpack, settle in and stay put until time to pack to leave.

We've done splits to try out DVC resorts other than our home resort but not for longer than a night or two.

We have done spilt stays many times.

If you are going to do a Deluxe, then I suggest at least 2 nights to get a real feel for it. With one night, there’s not a lot of time between check-in and check-out.

Do the Deluxe on the back end of your trip. Upgrading rooms is an easier transition than downgrading.

Caribbean Beach is probably my least favorite Moderate. It’s the oldest Moderate and it sometimes shows its age. But it does get you on the Skyliner.

Consider Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge as your Deluxe Resort. They tend to be the least expensive Deluxes but are wonderful hotel experiences.
Thank you so much for your input! I like your idea of staying more than one night at a Deluxe. Your reasoning makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not too concerned about the cost for 2 nights. But 5-7 nights of a Deluxe cost would be too much for my wallet :) I'm thinking the Riviera or the Contemporary. We're not really "woodsie" people, and the theme of the Riviera sounds *exciting and exotic* to me :)
The decision-making is almost fun for me at this point! I'm anxious to know how it all pans out myself!

Btw, I lied on the poll. I don't think splits are great. I'd rather unpack, settle in and stay put until time to pack to leave.

We've done splits to try out DVC resorts other than our home resort but not for longer than a night or two.
Thank you! I appreciate your honest input.

I've done many split stays and loved them. Just do the deluxe resort second! I'd always stayed at a moderate, but my first deluxe stay I did a value split with a deluxe (I wanted my total hotel budget for the trip to be the roughly the same) Wow, what a feeling when I walked into that deluxe resort after the All Stars.

I'm thinking the Riviera or the Contemporary. We're not really "woodsie" people, and the theme of the Riviera sounds *exciting and exotic* to me :)

In which case, I strongly advise renting points since RIV is a DVC resort.

There might be some villas available for cash bookings. Disney does set aside a certain number for that. However, you can generally get one for less by renting points.

I would only do a night or 2 at a Deluxe or DVC resort if it would allow the family to attend an exclusive to Deluxe MK after hours event…(has been Weds so far except 4/13)…and then I would stay at BLT or Contemporary or Poly or even Grand Floridian for quick and easy access. Epcot also has one (so far on Monday) but it has far fewer rides.

I split stay all the time between my 2 DVCs. AKV/CCV. Also did BCV one year for the proximity to EP and HS. Since you’re leaning toward Caribbean Beach, that will cover the EP and HS area. I would look to split at a MK resort or AKV. I would try for the last 2 nights at AKV and do resort only stay so you can have the full experience and get your moneys worth. Amazing resort with the best restaurants on property!

I split stay all the time between my 2 DVCs. AKV/CCV. Also did BCV one year for the proximity to EP and HS. Since you’re leaning toward Caribbean Beach, that will cover the EP and HS area. I would look to split at a MK resort or AKV. I would try for the last 2 nights at AKV and do resort only stay so you can have the full experience and get your moneys worth. Amazing resort with the best restaurants on property!
100% agree with your AKV comments. Amazing place with our favorite restaurants. And for us, very easy access to the AK park, as well.

I must differ with prior posters who say to pick a resort near a park.

Heck, just pick one that appeals for theme and amenities.

The parks are fine, but sometimes winding down your stay enjoying a resort is much less hectic as well as giving you more opportunity to relax and enjoy the resort.

AKL or AKV? YUCK! Neither appeals to me.

I often do split stays and love them. I usually do a night or two at a value then switch over to a deluxe (or lately the Swan/Dolphin). The reason I do that is because I arrive somewhere between 1 and 3 and go right to a park so I know that first night is really just going to be for a bed. The second day I tend to do either MK or AK since I move to an Epcot area resort and know I can walk or boat to both HS or Epcot. AK you are always going to use a bus so I knock that out and MK is just a one day park for us and since we like to stay closer to Epcot, we know we are going to have to bus to that. So arrival 1/2 day is usually Epcot, second day MK or AK and move day either MK or AK.

I drive down so it's a little easier for me since I can pack two suitcases but I have been known to just use packing cubes. I always get up early, even on vacation, so on move day I eat breakfast and go ahead and go to resort #2. Check in, leave my luggage and head on out to a park.

As far as renting points, it can be less but usually only if you are wanting anything bigger than a studio. You usually need to arrange it at least 7 months out or longer and usually you have to pay up front and it is not refundable so you need to be absolutely sure you are going to travel on those days. I've not had very good luck doing it as I don't ever need anything bigger than a studio and those are harder to rent and I tend to not know I'm going until at best two months before I go.

I agree. I've done it and it's a hassle to pack and move mid stay. I'd rather stay the time in one place.

It's something "cheap points" for arrival night-only if we split, then to our home resort.

I heartily agree to "split up" and stay in the nicer resort to end your trip.

I never used to do split stays. Then we went for a somewhat last minute trip, with a rental car, so we ended up moving 10 or so times in the span of 20 days. It was amazing. We stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge x2, Old Key West, Bay Lake Tower, Sheraton Vistana, Calypso Cay, and Marriott Flamingo Crossing.

Now for our next trip, despite having 9 nights booked at the Polynesian originally and not having a rental car booked, I’ve decided to split it 3 nights Poly, 3 nights Grand Floridian and 3 nights Beach Club. I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to staying at the same resort/room for more than 4-5 days. It’s so nice to enjoy the different resorts, visit the parks that are convenient to each location, have different pools and dining, etc. including offsite!
(Admittedly we are a family of 3, DD is 6 now. I would not have wanted to split stay when she was younger than 5. Just too much stuff.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter