Considering RC, a few questions

mommysaurus

Mouseketeer
Hi, I'm considering booking royal Caribbean for later this year (not sure on specific dates or which ship yet) and have a few general questions.

We (8 year old and I) have previously been on disney fantasy as our only cruise and although royal is coming out a lot cheaper I understand there are more extra fees. Both lines have "extras" I know, but what on royal is considered extra but is included on disney?

I know soda is an extra. I do not drink soda, coffee, or tea. I am just fine with water (and alcohol but I know that's an extra on both ;)). My son also does not drink soda but drinks water, milk, and juice....are milk and juice paid on royal...if so does a beverage package cover them? Or is that more soda/alcohol?

Second round of questions regards the kids club. I don't want this to get ugly but my boy does have some (very manageable) special needs. I am very realistic about these and he is not at all at the point of needing 1:1 or anything. He went to the clubs on the fantasy and was fine for the most part. He is older now (fantasy will be almost 2 years ago at time of sailing) and has made even more strides. He does do better in a more structured environment and the clubs on royal do seem more structured. Is this true? Any major differences between clubs on the two lines? Again he was fine on the fantasy and I know he'll be fine on royal but I'm a worrier.

Speaking of being a worrier....this may not be an issue...but thinking ahead to any possible situation....my son was recently diagnosed with a neurological condition which in part causes him to wet the bed. This was not an issue the last time we cruised. He is compliant on wearing pull ups meant for older kids, that's not my concern. He mostly wets in the lighter stages of sleep (ie just after going to sleep and right before waking up) and he is the kind of kid who sleeps anytime, anywhere if he is sleepy. At this point he is wetting most nights and when he takes a nap and if he falls asleep at the club chances are good he will have an accident. Does anyone have experience with them handling an accident in the club?

Of course I will do my part to not let him be there late, have him tell staff if he is getting sleepy and needs to be picked up (assuming a child can ask to have a parent called like they can on dcl), etc. We are also working with a neurologist and trying medications, etc. and it hopefully will be controlled by the time we cruise anyway. But at this time it's a big concern and I'm in the what if-what if-what if state of mind.

Thank you!

I can't answer all your questions about the kids club, however for drinks there is tap water, lemonade, iced tea, milk at the buffet or MDR, regular coffee and tea, and (previously frozen) juice with breakfast. If you want fresh squeezed juice that is extra. You can buy a drink package that includes the fresh juice, bottled water, specialty coffees and those frozen virgin drinks, same price for kids and adults, I believe it's $22 or so per night per person. I can say the kids club is grouped differently, I haven't cruise DCL but I understand it's all the kids together, whereas on RCCL the kids are grouped into smaller age brackets, 3 - 5, 6 - 8, though they may have the groups together if there aren't that many kids on board. I'd also suggest you contact the special needs at RCCL once you are booked and let them know your son's difficulties, they can make sure any accommodations that are needed are taken care of.

You may also want to check out cruise critic, there are a lot of people on there who can probably answer your questions about the rest. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever cruise you go on!

RCL's special needs department can help you with a lot of your questions. From their website: "For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us."

Free beverages include coffee, tea, water (plain and flavored), iced tea, hot chocolate, lemonade, milk, fruit punch, and OJ (from concentrate). The kids clubs are very good, and our two grandsons prefer the ones on RCL to the ones on Disney - a lot more personal attention.

although royal is coming out a lot cheaper I understand there are more extra fees. Both lines have "extras" I know, but what on royal is considered extra but is included on disney?

Soda.

The stuff royal has that they charge for isn't available at all on Disney. Fresh squeezed oj is charged for on royal but it isn't on dcl so you cannot compare that.

Until Dream got rid of the arcade (augggggh) and put in Vanelope's they had no better ice cream (though I don't know the brand they use so who knows if it's better than their included stuff) so you couldn't compare the Ben and Jerrys. Now you can compare them. They both have an ice cream place. Until I know the brand and ingredients this is moot for me on Dream. Royal is awesome with their awesome B&J ice cream.

Both have specialty dining. Both charge for espresso drinks and booze.

Royals kid clubs are FAR more structured. And the chance of him falling asleep is low as they will keep him engaged.

Last edited:
I can't answer all your questions about the kids club, however for drinks there is tap water, lemonade, iced tea, milk at the buffet or MDR, regular coffee and tea, and (previously frozen) juice with breakfast. If you want fresh squeezed juice that is extra. You can buy a drink package that includes the fresh juice, bottled water, specialty coffees and those frozen virgin drinks, same price for kids and adults, I believe it's $22 or so per night per person. I can say the kids club is grouped differently, I haven't cruise DCL but I understand it's all the kids together, whereas on RCCL the kids are grouped into smaller age brackets, 3 - 5, 6 - 8, though they may have the groups together if there aren't that many kids on board. I'd also suggest you contact the special needs at RCCL once you are booked and let them know your son's difficulties, they can make sure any accommodations that are needed are taken care of.

You may also want to check out cruise critic, there are a lot of people on there who can probably answer your questions about the rest. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whatever cruise you go on!

Thanks. I don't think he will drink $22 per day worth of drinks, especially if milk is included. You mention milk in MDR and buffet, I'm assuming its okay to take from the buffet and back to the room for later?

RCL's special needs department can help you with a lot of your questions. From their website: "For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us."

Free beverages include coffee, tea, water (plain and flavored), iced tea, hot chocolate, lemonade, milk, fruit punch, and OJ (from concentrate). The kids clubs are very good, and our two grandsons prefer the ones on RCL to the ones on Disney - a lot more personal attention.

Thank you for the contact information. I'm glad to hear your grandsons enjoyed the clubs. The personal attention sounds promising.

Soda.

The stuff royal has that they charge for isn't available at all on Disney. Fresh squeezed oj is charged for on royal but it isn't on dcl so you cannot compare that.

Until Dream got rid of the arcade (augggggh) and put in Vanelope's they had no better ice cream (though I don't know the brand they use so who knows if it's better than their included stuff) so you couldn't compare the Ben and Jerrys. Now you can compare them. They both have an ice cream place. Until I know the brand and ingredients this is moot for me on Dream. Royal is awesome with their awesome B&J ice cream.

Both have specialty dining. Both charge for espresso drinks and booze.

Royals kid clubs are FAR more structured. And the chance of him falling asleep is low as they will keep him engaged.

I hear you. I'm also unfamiliar with that brand but we do like ben and jerrys.

Glad to hear they are much more structured on royal. Mainly the issue there that concerns me is that when he starts getting overstimulated and agitated (very easy to do) he doesn't self regulate enough to remove himself from the situation and calm down on his own. If this doesn't happen it gets ugly quickly. At school, daycare, and also at home he has a designated area to go to in order to take a "calm down" (heaven forbid you call it a time out) for about 10 minutes and then hes usually good to go. On Disney they said they couldn't do that and instead agreed to call me if needed a calm down. Do you think either option could be arranged on royal? Is there a wave phone or similar to be contacted by the club? Thanks.

Last edited:
I hear you. I'm also unfamiliar with that brand but we do like ben and jerrys.

Oh, the Vanellope's place is Wreck-It Ralph themed; the name of the place is the girl in the movie. I'd have to be onboard and ask them what brand they use. (I doubt it's anything like a premium ice cream, LOL)

The counselors are a part of the activities in the under-12 yo clubs on Royal. They are leading and participating in activities, and therefore will see problem behaviour. I'm not sure HOW they would respond to it, but they would definitely be aware of it starting. On Disney the counselors are more at the periphery except during actual activities.

I have yet to figure out how to stay in touch with DS or anyone onboard a Royal ship.

Oh, the Vanellope's place is Wreck-It Ralph themed; the name of the place is the girl in the movie. I'd have to be onboard and ask them what brand they use. (I doubt it's anything like a premium ice cream, LOL)

The counselors are a part of the activities in the under-12 yo clubs on Royal. They are leading and participating in activities, and therefore will see problem behaviour. I'm not sure HOW they would respond to it, but they would definitely be aware of it starting. On Disney the counselors are more at the periphery except during actual activities.

I have yet to figure out how to stay in touch with DS or anyone onboard a Royal ship.

Oh duh on the wreck it ralph reference. Yeah I'm betting its not up to ben and jerrys quality.

They noticed behavior on disney too (I warned everyone hahaha) but they were unable/unwilling to do anything about it other than call me. Which is fine. But you are saying theres no way for the club to contact you? That gives me pause.

Oh duh on the wreck it ralph reference. Yeah I'm betting its not up to ben and jerrys quality.

They noticed behavior on disney too (I warned everyone hahaha) but they were unable/unwilling to do anything about it other than call me. Which is fine. But you are saying theres no way for the club to contact you? That gives me pause.
Not wanting to get into what your son's condition is, but just wanted to point out that RCL is the only cruise line that has been certified as "autism-friendly" and all of their counsellors have been trained deal with a wide spectrum of special needs.

Not wanting to get into what your son's condition is, but just wanted to point out that RCL is the only cruise line that has been certified as "autism-friendly" and all of their counsellors have been trained deal with a wide spectrum of special needs.

Well how on earth did I miss that??? Hallelujah! Thanks.

Just want to say, for DD's special needs, they signed out a phone to me every time I dropped her off in case they needed to get in touch with me. They look similar to the phones in the staterooms on DCL. DD did much on RCCL with their structure in their kids clubs (see my trip report from 1/3). We liked RCCL so much better we are officially converts! HTH:daisy:

Just want to say, for DD's special needs, they signed out a phone to me every time I dropped her off in case they needed to get in touch with me. They look similar to the phones in the staterooms on DCL. DD did much on RCCL with their structure in their kids clubs (see my trip report from 1/3). We liked RCCL so much better we are officially converts! HTH:daisy:

So very happy to hear that! Looking forward to reading your trip report. Thank you so much!

But you are saying theres no way for the club to contact you? That gives me pause.

No, just that I don't know how they would. :)

My son is older, an extrovert, and has never had an issue in the clubs on DCL or RCI, so it isn't something I worry about on RCI. On DCL they have the horrid Wave phones (and they over-call, IMO, once calling to make sure that DS is vegetarian before they let him have a cheese sandwich at lunch...uh, what?), and now he just goes there with his no-SIM old phone that gets wifi, and he uses the Navigator app to let us know when he wants to be picked up. (this is DCL I'm talking about, and no we haven't given him signout privileges on either line yet)

Anyway, it's just not something I know. :)

No, just that I don't know how they would. :)

My son is older, an extrovert, and has never had an issue in the clubs on DCL or RCI, so it isn't something I worry about on RCI. On DCL they have the horrid Wave phones (and they over-call, IMO, once calling to make sure that DS is vegetarian before they let him have a cheese sandwich at lunch...uh, what?), and now he just goes there with his no-SIM old phone that gets wifi, and he uses the Navigator app to let us know when he wants to be picked up. (this is DCL I'm talking about, and no we haven't given him signout privileges on either line yet)

Anyway, it's just not something I know. :)

@winniedapooh reports she was given a phone by the club in case her daughter needed attention. Sounds good to me. I'm with you on check out privileges. Disney allows that at 8 :scared: My son is nowhere close to ready. Doubting he will be ready at 13 when it's given to everyone.

Weird about the cheese sandwich. Maybe they wanted to make sure he wasn't vegan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter