Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

If this deal came out today, I would have jumped on it. The pricing was reasonably within spitting distance of resale prices, at a good resort location. I haven’t seen anything similar since, but I suspect it was a rare deal!
Since then there’s been a few deals on sold out resorts. AKV and OKW come to mind. For people considering those resale, direct deals were similar cost.

For OKW direct that’s 2057. The current deal at $115pp is maybe (?) $10pp over Extended OKW resale. The dues are high but the resort has alot of fans. 1BR/2BR humungous. Grand Villas low points. Sauna!

AKV has its fans too. Who doesn’t love value, club level, and savannah view rooms. iirc AKV direct was $143? Resale has come down since but at the time didn’t save more than ~$20pp. Especially when resale is often missing current year’s points.

I’m optimistic for Poly Tower. My hope is a good deal comes. Probably high at first. Maybe just maybe we *eventually* see $180pp? When VGF1 was sold out direct in 2019, gasps were heard around the world when it broke the $200pp resale barrier. Nobody suspected direct would ever be under $200 again. With closer to 40 years left on Poly and relatively high point chart, I think it’s possible DVD repeats a really great deal. 🤞

You can also break up your payments. Our guide allowed us to pay $7k for 4 months, then we received $3300 rebate.

This is interesting to me. I asked my guide what our options were as far as breaking up payments (not financed) and this is what he replied:

"I can break it up in any number of payments or methods, so long as the balance is paid within 60 days of contract initiation.

If you'd like to spread it out more than that, while still avoiding interest, on our "secret menu" there is also a 1-yr financing option. It requires 50% down and you pay the other half over the year term. This secret menu isn't shown on any of our finance sheets lol but the interest rate is 5.95%, and it can still be paid early with no penalty."

Not the four month option you got that I was hoping for, lol.

This is interesting to me. I asked my guide what our options were as far as breaking up payments (not financed) and this is what he replied:

"I can break it up in any number of payments or methods, so long as the balance is paid within 60 days of contract initiation.

If you'd like to spread it out more than that, while still avoiding interest, on our "secret menu" there is also a 1-yr financing option. It requires 50% down and you pay the other half over the year term. This secret menu isn't shown on any of our finance sheets lol but the interest rate is 5.95%, and it can still be paid early with no penalty."

Not the four month option you got that I was hoping for, lol.

Yeah I’ve heard people getting different answers from different guides. I’m guessing some guides are more senior and have more leeway making decisions? Others need to get approval or something?

When I asked my guide about payments he came right out with 4 payments over 90 days. June 4, July 4, Aug 4, and Sept 2 (so it was in before Labor Day holiday). I didn’t push but then other people said their guide allowed even longer. I think someone said they did 3 payments over 6 months. Down pymt, 90 days, 180 days.

There’s another thing buyers do. We did not do this but people commonly use Disney Chase Visa which that allows 6 months or more interest free, but then they also stack that with the DVC payments. That’s a real cute way to do it, really draws it out without paying extra. Just NEED to make those Visa payments on time or the method becomes expensive with interest.

Just to clarify…the discount for merch with DVC and AP is 20%, not 10%. And, doesn’t require the $50 minimum that Disney Visa does.

So, it definitely adds up!
We had the Disney Chase Visa and it was a pain trying to lump purchases at $50 to get the 20% off. So much easier with the direct discount. 20% really adds up. Who wants a $4 coffee when you can pay closer to $3? 🤣

My niece and nephew spoiled my kids with spirit jerseys, and they’re like $80 each. The got 2 matching sets of 4. They were gonna buy regardless and I saved them over $130.

Yeah I’ve heard people getting different answers from different guides. I’m guessing some guides are more senior and have more leeway making decisions? Others need to get approval or something?

When I asked my guide about payments he came right out with 4 payments over 90 days. June 4, July 4, Aug 4, and Sept 2 (so it was in before Labor Day holiday). I didn’t push but then other people said their guide allowed even longer. I think someone said they did 3 payments over 6 months. Down pymt, 90 days, 180 days.

There’s another thing buyers do. We did not do this but people commonly use Disney Chase Visa which that allows 6 months or more interest free, but then they also stack that with the DVC payments. That’s a real cute way to do it, really draws it out without paying extra. Just NEED to make those Visa payments on time or the method becomes expensive with interest.
Maybe that's it, our guy is kinda junior, I think he's been there for a year or so and has referred to needing to check with a leader on a few things. Hmmm.

Yeah the Visa is appealing for part of it. It's not my main card so it doesn't have a super high limit on it though, so I'd still need to pay off the balance monthly before loading up again, which is annoying haha.

Maybe that's it, our guy is kinda junior, I think he's been there for a year or so and has referred to needing to check with a leader on a few things. Hmmm.

Yeah the Visa is appealing for part of it. It's not my main card so it doesn't have a super high limit on it though, so I'd still need to pay off the balance monthly before loading up again, which is annoying haha.

If you really want to be able to get the payments billed for 90 days…which is the the most I have ever seen…just tell your guide that you know it might take manager approval but hoping he can try as you know others who have had it done.

Even my senior guide says that to me about approval. Now, it is possible they are not allowing it right now, but I’d certainly try it

Who wants a $4 coffee when you can pay closer to $3?
Not saying it isn't nice but lets be honest how much merch will it take to pay the 15k plus difference in price if you do not plan on buying AP or attend Moonlight Magic? Every perk is nice they offer but really those two are the big ones but even when they were gone during covid people still bought direct.
The biggest perk to me is SAP for the restricted resorts, if it weren't for those potential future resorts we wouldn't even consider direct but if Reflections ever does see the light of day and it is restricted then we will definitely need some SAP to stay there at the 7 month mark (although the point chart prevent it). Riviera isn't really our cup of tea and Disneyland is too far to matter for us plus I only pay one transient tax willingly, yes you Aulani 8-) . The cabins are cute and would be cool to bring the dog along for a staycation but the room layout is horrible so we would have to rent two just to keep the kids out of the room and the Westie on the bunk..I mean...floor :P

From what others have said, they are eager to raise limits when it’s for DVC. Like this method can get the Disney Rewards in the higher travel category. There’s some good strategies out there. We chose to split Jet Blue/Chase points, but some others did even better. We put $3500 each on both cards every month. And just kept paying that off before next paymt due. Gave us time to earn paychecks in between so we could avoid pulling a large some from other accounts.

From what others have said, they are eager to raise limits when it’s for DVC. Like this method can get the Disney Rewards in the higher travel category. There’s some good strategies out there. We chose to split Jet Blue/Chase points, but some others did even better. We put $3500 each on both cards every month. And just kept paying that off before next paymt due. Gave us time to earn paychecks in between so we could avoid pulling a large some from other accounts.
I also only have the regular Visa, not the paid premiere card so I don't think the benefits are quite as good (not sure what the higher travel category is?)

We had the Disney Chase Visa and it was a pain trying to lump purchases at $50 to get the 20% off
Of course the real question is how do you have purchase that actually total less than 50%...the teen I want this 10 dollar energy drink...the toddlers I want this and that...the wife....oh hey we might need this, lets get it just in case...and of course I just have to get a desert (since I don't drink anymore) just to drown my wallets sorrows.....

Of course the real question is how do you have purchase that actually total less than 50%...the teen I want this 10 dollar energy drink...the toddlers I want this and that...the wife....oh hey we might need this, lets get it just in case...and of course I just have to get a desert (since I don't drink anymore) just to drown my wallets sorrows.....

We do! We stop at the gift shop and some get a soda to take in the park with them. 20% off right off the bat!! lol

Not to mention coffees and stuff at Joffrey…assuming I don’t make it the adult version!!!

Not saying it isn't nice but lets be honest how much merch will it take to pay the 15k plus difference in price
That’s A L O T of coffees and I don’t even like Joffreys that much.

Yeah sometimes direct can be $15k extra. Sometimes it’s closer to $1k. Or $2k.

I felt so bad after watching a video about a family who bought something like 600 or 800 points because the grandparents wanted the younger generations to always continue the Grand Flo tradition. They bought resale because - Hey, it saves THOUSANDS!

But no. VGF summer incentives were going on. They did not save anything. The whole family could’ve had direct benefits.

It was back a few years ago when we had Disney Visa. But I still remember. Like I wanted a $35 hat. DH saw this shirt he like in another store. Kids wanted something else. And we’re trying to find store that has the items together so we could save 20%. That’s part of why I let that card go bye.

I also only have the regular Visa, not the paid premiere card so I don't think the benefits are quite as good (not sure what the higher travel category is?)

The premiere was better but the regular one was good as well. Some people got premiere just for that purchase.

People were helping each other match best current credit cards deals with DVC purchase. Direct was coding in the higher tier of some cashback rewards. Maybe it was Chase Sapphire got 2% or 3% back last year?

This stuff can really help bridge the direct gap over resale. Most resale only allow $5k or $7k on credit cards. The ability to rack points or cashback are another benefit of going direct.

I bet if you started a board about current DVC direct purchase with CC methods you’d get alot of feedback. People love sharing 😁

The premiere was better but the regular one was good as well. Some people got premiere just for that purchase.

People were helping each other match best current credit cards deals with DVC purchase. Direct was coding in the higher tier of some cashback rewards. Maybe it was Chase Sapphire got 2% or 3% back last year?

This stuff can really help bridge the direct gap over resale. Most resale only allow $5k or $7k on credit cards. The ability to rack points or cashback are another benefit of going direct.

I bet if you started a board about current DVC direct purchase with CC methods you’d get alot of feedback. People love sharing 😁
I've already started several threads the past few days, I'm afraid folks will get sick of me

I've already started several threads the past few days, I'm afraid folks will get sick of me
Nooo :(

Never :-)

Sometimes it just takes the right moment for enough people to get the conversation going.

You can try the OKW $115pp thread too. I haven’t kept up but there’s probably some talk about payments going on.

Eta - reddit is good place to ask as well. But probably more replies here.

Having looked into credit card rewards extensively in prep for my upcoming direct purchase, Chase codes DVC purchases as travel (based on prior reports). The Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3x points on travel, which you can then transfer to a multitude of airlines/hotels, or book via the Chase portal for 1.5x (so effectively 4.5x).

AMEX does not code as travel based on recent reports.

Other people look at the Disney credit card because it offers 0% interest for six months, but it only offers 2% cash back. Personally, I'm planning on either of the following for my upcoming direct Riv or Poly purchase:
a) using my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the 3x points (and splitting my payments over three months, so my money can sit in my savings account for a bit longer)
b) opening a couple new credit cards for the sign up bonuses / splitting payments as well

For dues, many people buy discounted Disney gift cards at Target - the REDcard gives 5% off - or if you have a Chase Ink Cash, they give 5x on office supply stores. That's technically a business card, though.

My resale contract escrow payment did not code as travel. The escrow company allowed $7500 to be paid on a cc. Sadly I only received 1.5x there.

If you decide to post a full thread, I'll pull this over there. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter