Considering moving to FL

Bev J

DIS Veteran
Our middle son recently told us he is moving to Florida- north of Orlando so now our youngest son is chiming in wanting to move also and strongly encourging us to come along. we have talked about this for years. In our young 60's would want a single dwelling home in a less congested town north of Orlando, but still close enough for trip to WDW when we feel like it or to the beaches. Finding job is not a worry, as DH is retired and I would want something PT. Suggestions for where, 2 bdrm home under $150,000 I just don't even know where to start!

Our middle son recently told us he is moving to Florida- north of Orlando so now our youngest son is chiming in wanting to move also and strongly encourging us to come along. we have talked about this for years. In our young 60's would want a single dwelling home in a less congested town north of Orlando, but still close enough for trip to WDW when we feel like it or to the beaches. Finding job is not a worry, as DH is retired and I would want something PT. Suggestions for where, 2 bdrm home under $150,000 I just don't even know where to start!

You should look in the Gulfport area! While it's over an hour from WDW, my mom got a great little 2 bedroom cottage (not in the flood area!) for something like $100K? We love to go visit her and walk to the shops, restaurants, beach, etc.

If you want to be closer to Orlando though, look more south of the city than north. I think there are tons of new developments that way.

When you say trip to WDW, do you mean day trips? That would narrow your search.

Or do you mean just close enough to go for stay a night and get two days at the parks done?

Last edited:

Uncongested town and the 150000 price point means you're going to have to be very rural for Florida - do you have a more specific location that just "north of Orlando". Are you talking 1 hour north or 3?

Uncongested town and the 150000 price point means you're going to have to be very rural for Florida - do you have a more specific location that just "north of Orlando". Are you talking 1 hour north or 3?
I took her to mean Maitland, WP, LM, AS or Longwood.

I took her to mean Maitland, WP, LM, AS or Longwood.

I read it and thought more along the lines of Lake or Volusia Counties... rural/small town is the only place I can imagine getting anything decent under $150k. Possibly Mt. Dora, Eustis, Tavares, Deland, Debary or maybe even up to Ocala if they don't mind being a couple hours away from WDW. OP, does it have to be north of Orlando? Because you could also look at Winter Haven and Lakeland (south of Orlando).

Would never move to FL. It's so congested and expensive. Love to visit there - love to leave! Even though I'm a southern girl I hate the flat terrain there also. We've looked at some of the 'cheapest' areas to live (while visiting, not to scout to live there) and the ones we saw are not very desirable - cheaper for a reason.

Last edited:
There are a lot of new developments springing up on the west side too, but not much in the $150,000 range unless you want townhouse as opposed to detached.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do find a neighborhood with reasonable prices there will probably be a lot of vacation rentals. One of my coworkers is in a nice neighborhood with nice, newish, but smaller homes, and there are tons of vacationers around them all the time. Doesn’t always make for a quiet and peaceful neighborhood.

I agree that it’s a good idea to get a feel for the neighborhood you might be interested in. If you don’t have to worry about employment, maybe rent a house for a few months to get a feel for the day to day life there. Although I work in the tourist industry, I don’t live in a tourist area, or commute through a tourist area. When I go to Disney on vacation it can feel like I am far away from my day to day life, even though Disney is on my doorstep. I have lived in other parts of Florida as well, and we always lived away from the tourists. That was important to us.

It can be pleasant to live in Florida, and there are areas that aren’t flat as a pancake. But you do have to do some research and decide what sort of Florida life you want to lead, and the amount of risk you want to take regarding hurricanes.

Try looking at Mt. Dora, Tavares, Eustis, Wildwood and Okahumpka. They are a reasonable distance from WDW, yet in more rural areas.

I live in Clay County (2.5 hrs from WDW), and would never consider Starke or Macclenny. We had looked at a development in Macclenny 12 years ago, and quickly said no way. Very rural, limited shopping and health care. Starks is home to a large prison complex and overrun with fast food restaurants. Also, limited access to good health care.

Try looking somewhere near Gainesville and you'd at least be close to health care, restaurants, shopping, museums, and a variety of activities.

We are looking at Lake County, Lady Lake/surounding areas. Have looked online at homes and there are lots in our price range and size we are looking for. We currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska. we do love it here but as we get older winters suck more and more. Taxes are pretty high and the kicker was a 33% increase in our property taxes. Do not want to do the snowbird deal if we move we stay. My parents lived in Ft Walton Beach, inlaws wintered in Destin. both beautiful areas but would rather not be in the direct path of a hurricane. Plus we love Disney and also love to cruise, both a short drive.
My brother lives in Lakeland so thats a consideration also, a little further from traffic and tourists sounds better tho. we will make a couple trips down to check the areas before we make our choice

Good luck, I'd want to move to FL from NE, if I was retired and had family moving, too. We have friends in Lincoln, and while they love NE, they winter in the southeast...

We live in GA, and get to Orlando several times per year. We have been considering moving for a couple years, but we are waiting on a really compelling reason.

We are looking at Lake County, Lady Lake/surounding areas. Have looked online at homes and there are lots in our price range and size we are looking for. We currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska. we do love it here but as we get older winters suck more and more. Taxes are pretty high and the kicker was a 33% increase in our property taxes. Do not want to do the snowbird deal if we move we stay. My parents lived in Ft Walton Beach, inlaws wintered in Destin. both beautiful areas but would rather not be in the direct path of a hurricane. Plus we love Disney and also love to cruise, both a short drive.
My brother lives in Lakeland so thats a consideration also, a little further from traffic and tourists sounds better tho. we will make a couple trips down to check the areas before we make our choice

I think that is close to The Villages which is a very popular area. Close enough, far away enough from the "fun" spots.

We live north of Orlando and within easy commuting distance to WDW. I can tell you that you will be competing with many folks trying to move "close" to WDW. I'm certainly not discouraging you from investigating, but you should know that the area is growing like we saw back in the mid-2002-2006. Most communities have HOA monthly fees, so that may be something to consider if you opt for that style residence.

...should have noted in my reply earlier that we have tons of family and friends in Orlando. We wouldn't be moving into strange new territory. I agree with all the posts about making sure you know what you are getting into, first. Traffic stinks. It gets really. Really. Hot. Etc. But the good news is, it's 70 degrees in January and if you are in Nebraska...you might be happy to deal with traffic in exchange for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter