• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Considering buying a pop-up - do we need a potty?

greens_in_WA

Mouseketeer
Not sure if this ok to post here - not specific to DIS, but more a general question and everyone on the DIS is always so helpful. :worship: My family is considering the purchase of a pop-up trailer. (Can't to a Travel trailer due to lack of storage space). Its me, DH, DD7, DS3 and a mid-size dog (40lbs).

I can't decide what's more important... storage space or having a potty/shower... :confused3 On the one hand, the kids are almost old enough to go to the potties together w/o an adult and on the other hand I am extremely paranoid about letting them out of my site due to pedophiles and other crazies...

So am I being too paranoid and should I enjoy the additional storage space etc. Or is the convenience of having your own potty/shower worth the money and loss of storage? (We're looking at units with the hard-sided showers that seem like they'd work ok - have black water tank and all that).

TIA :)

We have a 95 Jayco popup. Doesn't have a potty...and no place to put one really! We, personally, think storage is more important. There are times, like when it's raining, that it would be nice to have a potty/shower but we survive tromping out with our umbrellas! Our kids are older (have a 3 yr old too) so I'm not too worried about them. I usually go with them to the bathroom anyway or send DH to wait for them!

We have friends who put a porta potty in an enclosed curtain area under their awning so that's an idea too!

Good luck! Hope to see you at the Fort!

Get a removable potty they sell at sporting goods stores or Walmart. We couldn't live without one, especially for bad weather and nighttime needs. A shower not so much but it would be nice to have IF you have the space. We take ours tent camping when I take my dd where the MH won't fit for our girls only weekends as well.

Get a removable potty they sell at sporting goods stores or Walmart. We couldn't live without one, especially for bad weather and nighttime needs. A shower not so much but it would be nice to have IF you have the space. We take ours tent camping when I take my dd where the MH won't fit for our girls only weekends as well.

I agree with "we3peas"-(interesting name for this thread.....)
We kept a small removable one for nighttime needs. You'll be glad you don't have to make the trip in the middle of the night. Other than that, we used the local facilities.

Yes, as a former pop-up owner storage was at a premium but I found the midnight runs (excuse the pun :) ) to to be equally as important. Tis why we upgraded to a TT.

I agree, consider a hybrid. I like the outdoor portapotty under the awning. I have seen these tall-skinny tents to enclose them in....that way you don't have to take up any precious storage in the popup.
http://astore.amazon.com/portapotty-20/images/B001ASICYW

When we purchased our pop-up many moons ago, we liked the layout of the Coleman Utah. The dealer had a regular Utah, and a Utah CP (the CP stands for Cassette Potty). Mrs. TCD and I went back and forth about this getting the CP, as we had an acquaintance who told us that it smelled up her camper. Ultimately, we decided to go with the CP because we thought it might be something that we would use at campgrounds other than FW.

Well, that decision was one of the best decisions we have ever made. Having that CP in the camper is a wonderful thing at night and in cold or rainy weather. Also, not all campgrounds keep their facilities as nice as FW, and some campgrounds have some pretty creepy characters lurking around.
As far as smell, there has been no problem. The CP we have is manufactured by a company called Thetford. The CP has worked flawlessly, and it is obviously well designed. Ours is just enclosed by a curtain, as there were no hard sided enclosures offered back then. A benefit of this curtain, though, is that it provides a place to change clothes inside the camper, which is an issue with older children and teenagers. The hard sided enclosure would also provide that benefit.

I think you should get the installed shower and potty. I'll bet that you will end up using it more than you think you will.

TCD

I have to agree with having the potty on this one. We've had 2 pop's - one w/o potty & one with. Now, it's just us two adults - so kids were not in the formula - however.... One c-c-c-cold night (22 degrees) staying at the Fort in January 1980, and a mid-night pee run, had me running to a friend who was selling his pop-up that had a potty. Best decision! If you need extra storage, use your car/truck for that - or - get everything you "think" you need for the trip layed out, take half away, and the remainder is what you will probably use.

BTW TCD - Thetford, IMHO, is the best you can get for a portable potty! :thumbsup2

When we had our popup, we purchased a "shower tent" similar to the one linked above. Ours had a floor, though, similar to a tent. We didn't shower in it, but put the porta-potty in it. The kids called it the "Pee Pee Tee Pee" !
With 5 of us in the camper, storage was definitely important. BUT after a few middle of the night trips to the campground facilities, a potty was purchased. !
We now have a hybrid. Other than it having a bathroom, I really miss the popup sometimes. Good luck with your decision!

Another make TT you might consider is a Trailmanor. I owned a 3023 at one time. Never had any problems with it. They are very light weight, hard walled TT's. Their smallest model (2619) is 26' open and 19' closed. It sleeps six people. (tight fit for 6. 4 would be fine) They have an optional folding tongue that makes it possible to sore in a garage. They are a bit on the expensive side, though. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Good luck.

Jumping in late:

I would consider the pop-up with the casette toilet. We have one by Thetford which is not only convenient for the #1 (only) late at night but also does provide a convenient private place to change clothes (into pj's at night for example).

As to the concept of storage in a pop-up I will be the first to say there is NEVER enough storage space in a pop-up. :lmao: But we fold up our casette potty thingy during the day and stack suitcases on it and then shove them around when we set up the potty curtain each night.

A properly maintained casette does not smell (bad/much) at all.

Just my $0.02!

Bama ED :wizard:

I'm late to the party on this one, but I'll give my .02 anyway... I'd say go for a portable potty (ours was from Craigslist - a family bought a big boat and the potty to use on it...finances changed and they sold the boat and had the unused potty sitting around gathering dust!) Our camper has a little cabinet that fits it perfectly - it gets stowed during the day and just comes out at night. Aside from middle of the night needs (which admittedly is mostly for me!), we just use the facilities at the CG. We do sometimes camp at pretty rustic locations, so for Christmas I got a propane shower and shower tent...that way we can bring it along only when we need it.

If I were to buy a pop up again I would get one with a toilet....it may have kept me from buying a hybrid. The girls in my family don't like to make the walk to the restrooms at night so they wanted a new camper. I kind of wish I had the old pop up, it sure saved on the cost of fuel.

we have a popup with a shower/toilet - we love it as I'm not into middle-of-the-night toilet runs.

I have a popup with installed toilet/shower. However, I would say that it really depends on where you like to camp and how modest you are. Keep in mind that the toilet area is only separated from the rest of the camper by thin curtains. Some people are okay with this, others may not be.

In addition, you also have to factor in the extra work/mess involved in dumping the toilet and keeping it properly treated. Not to mention that if you plan to use the shower you need a full-hookup site which will eliminate a lot of state parks or require you to use a tote tank and a good deal of work to keep it emptied.

However, if you like camping in national forests, having your own shower may be your only option (that is if you want to take a shower :) ). So once again, it really depends on where you like to camp.

Just to give you an idea, we are staying at Fort Wilderness in a few weeks and although I have a potty/shower I will not be using it due to the increased cost of a full hookup site ($200+ extra for our length of stay) and the fact that their bathhouses are always very clean. Our kids of course never go anywhere without adult supervision.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't want a camper without a potty. Forget the pedophiles, I just wouldn't want to make middle of the night runs to the bathhouse, and sometimes campground facilities can be pretty gross. I don't think you necessarily have to keep your potty in the camper, though. I would most likely set it up in a potty tent outside.

When we bought our pop-up our girls were 3 and 5, one of my requirement was a pop-up with shower potty combo, best decision we had ever made, as we 2 young girls it saved me from 20 trips a day to the bathroom, it never smelled, and was also great for quick showers

My best friend is considering taking her popup camper with her four small children to stay at Fort Wilderness and was wondering which camp sites are closer to the restrooms. I was able to get a map of the campgrounds but could not drive through. Can you request specific sites and if so, does anyone have any recommendations for which are close to the restrooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter