• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Considering 1st Time Staying Onsite

NaplesRI

DIS Veteran
Would love your help deciding...

Took gs on his 1st trip to Disney March 2009 and stayed in a 3 bed/bath condo with his mom, his aunt and uncle, and us his grandparents.

Planning a return trip Feb 2011, probably just him and his mom and us the grandparents, so thinking getting 2 rooms at a value might be doable.

He'll be 8, and is all boy. Where would you recommend we stay?

Do the values have refrigerators so we could have breakfast in the room?

Would it be worth spending more and moving to a moderate? I just hate to waste a lot of money on a room we wont be in much. I already priced out a 3 bedrrom condo at $154 a night... I know on site will be more, but maybe it's time for a special treat.

Any advice much appreciated!

While we have never stayed in a value resort, we have stayed in a moderate resort (5 times). I like the fact that we have a larger room and a fridge and coffee maker. The fridge and coffee maker alone save us money since we either make a grocery run or order groceries from Garden Grocer.

On our first stay at the CBR, our son was just 8 and he was instantly in heaven. There are beaches to build sandcastles in. There's a pirate themed kids' water play area. The main pool has a pirate theme too and has two slides. For the adults, there's two hot tubs near the main pool. If you don't want to go to the main pool to swim, each resort village has a quiet pool.

Should you decide to stay at the resort one day, you could rent all sorts of watercraft. You could also rent a bicycle or a surrey bike (4 seater bicycle) and pedal around the resort promenade.

The resort is very very pretty and I think it's great for families. If you want to take a look around the CBR, just click on either of my trip reports. The "Who Knew Choking...." one is the newest.

Oh I meant to tell you that there's a world of difference from staying onsite and offsite. For years and years, we stayed offsite. But, once we stayed onsite, we said we'd never stay offsite again (unless it was the only way we could go to Disney).

We drive to Disney and, even though we have a car at our disposal, we park it and use Disney transportation. It's so nice to let someone else do the driving for you. So, when you factor in costs, also factor in that you won't have to spend money on gas and you won't have to pay to park in the theme park lots either.:thumbsup2

I think the values are sort of all the same - we liked Pop century stayed there recently. Depending on the season and the discount you can get - the price may be less than $154 per night - but likely will be more. (We recently went in April and had a 40 % off code - I think we paid about $75 a night for one room.) If you have to go for President's day it can be quite a bit more. Staying on site is fun, but you definitely pay for it. We are lucky to only be 3 and can do it with 1 room.

They charge extra for fridges (I think it's up to $15 a day) and you are not guaranteed one before check-in (they have a limited #). What we did is bring a small cooler in our luggage, we packed it with ice from the ice machine every morning / night. Worked just like a fridge. Kept milk and OJ in it and it worked out fine. (Bought the milk in a 1/2 gallon at the food court, not cheap but a lot cheaper than buying a pint every day.)

Save money and stay at a value. An 8 yr old will most likely enjoy the theme of the value resorts over the moderates... as for the fridge... don't worry about it! Get the Disney Dining Plan and take advantage of the best deal going for onsite guests... then you can have breakfast whereever you want without worrying about cost!

If you really are thinking of just staying on site once I would say do not do it since it is really hard to go back to off site.

bookwormde

If you really are thinking of just staying on site once I would say do not do it since it is really hard to go back to off site.

bookwormde

Sorry, I don't think that is a good reason NOT to do it..."You don't want to try it because you might like it too much?"

A very real advantage to staying on site are the AM EMH. If you can wake up early on vacation, it is amazing to be in the parks with so few people. The PM EMH is debatable (all day long debatable), but the AM is worth the time if you are an early morning person.

Another onsite advantage would be the Disney transportation. If would add some flexibility to your planning. Even if your group started the day together, you could leave at separate times, you could pursue some separate activites, etc. My similar aged DS absolutely loves Disney Quest. Don't know that my parents could take it. So if you had something like this, pursuing the plans could be easier to do.

A major disadvantage is the lack of space and the lack of the community feeling by staying onsite. We have a timeshare, so I understand the dynamic of the condo situation. Some of the pure hanging out together, relaxing in our private space time would be very different in connected rooms vs. the condo. Breakfast in the condo is very different, having some room to have that family only time.

It really is a personal decision. Have you looked into the cost of renting points to try to stay DVC? That would be the best of both worlds.

remember there are additional costs if you stay offsite.
if you are flying, you'll need a rental car big enough to fit all of you and your luggage, plus gas.
you will pay to park at a park daily (parking pass is good for entire day - one fee).

figure how much your time is worth - travel time will be much longer when staying offsite.

what is someone gets sick, or is tired, or just wants to go back to the room to rest? if you are staying offsite, you will all probably leave - not fun :guilty:
if onsite, that peron can just take wdw trans back to the resort, and easily meet up with you later if they want.
nighttime at wdw resorts are a lot of fun (and safe) also. we've never run out out of things to do staying onsite. offsite, we found ourselves bored if not in a park.

worth it? honestly, i think we would reschedule if we couldn't stay onsite - the freedom, entertainment, security, atmosphere are worth every penny :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter