Confused by Genie, Genie+, Lightening Lane, etc.

emilyann704

Solo Traveler
The last time I was at Disney World was about 15 years ago - pretty sure before Fast Pass was a thing. Either way, I didn't use it. Just got in line when I wanted to ride and waited.

I've read a LOT of threads here and used Google but am still unclear exactly what my options are when I arrive next month.

I'm planning on getting Genie+ (I'm going solo for 2 days so the extra $30 is fine with me)- what does that mean, exactly? For example, if I use it first thing on my Magic Kingdom day to book Seven Dwarves Mine Train it will give me a time the ride is available. When that time comes and I arrive at the ride, what do I do? There are specific (shorter?) Genie+ lines?

From what I understand not all rides allow you to use Genie+ to book, correct? And some you have to use Individual Lightening Lanes? What are those?

The regular Genie that is on the MDE is just a free "planning" tool, right?

If there are threads that address these questions specifically I'd appreciate any direction but most of the research I've done assume some prior level of knowledge.

Thank you in advance!

So the rides are split into either Individual Attraction Lightning Lane (ILL$) or Genie+ Lightning Lane (G+). The ILL$ rides are a cost per ride attraction while G+ is a package that allows you to choose what you get a Lightning Lane for, based on availability.

Each park has 2 rides that are ILL$ and in Magic Kingdom, it's 7 dwarfs mine train and Space Mountain.

So when you buy G+, those 2 rides are not included, but you can buy a pass that is good for just those rides, each has a separate cost.

At 7am, if you're staying onsite, you can select any of the G+ rides as well as select up to 2 ILL$ rides. If you plan on park hopping, you can get one ILL$ in the park you're starting in and another ILL$ in the park you're hopping to, if you want.

And yes the genie in MDE is a free planning tool.

Thanks for your clear explanation if you park hop can you use G+ in the second park?

the boards have been using the Disney names for the different options

Lightning Lane is just the former fastpass lane to enter the attraction, it's what you are paying to get
Genie + selections or just Genie + is the $15 per day "fastpass" selections, you use the app once you have paid and schedule your time to use the Lightning Lane, one attraction at a time.
Individual Lightning Lane Selection (ILLS) is the 2 attractions per park that you either pay individually to access the Lightning Lane, or don't pay and use the standby line. These attractions are not available as Genie + selections.
If you park hop, you can make Genie+ selections for the second park (for times after 2 PM)

Thanks for your clear explanation if you park hop can you use G+ in the second park?
Yes. In fact, if you were going to AK in the morning but wanted passes for Hollywood Studios in the afternoon, you could theoretically grab Slinky, Rise of the Resistance and MMRR all at 7 if you wanted to and would get afternoon return times. Rise and MMRR are the 2 individual pay attractions. You would then make a second selection at 11 and another at 1 before hopping. Your second selection is based on 2 hours after the park with your first selection opens.

Can you get LL without getting genie+?
Yes, if you only want the single attraction, you can definitely get it without also paying for G+

Once you get into the park and use your genie+ selection, can you get another genie+ selection that is available immediately or will the time be two hours out?

Once you get into the park and use your genie+ selection, can you get another genie+ selection that is available immediately or will the time be two hours out?

I believe that if you only have 1 and you use it then you can book another immediately. If you had multiple stacked up from earlier I think you have to clear them out (or wait for 2 hours after the last one) to book another.

Thanks for this thread, as I am definitely confused by the system. One question I have, is can a really popular ride, like ROTR, "sell out" through G+? If I get up at 7 am, and we are staying onsite, and I want ROTR to be the first thing we do, am I guaranteed to get a seat, or can it "sell out" on me and end up a waste of money?

Thanks for this thread, as I am definitely confused by the system. One question I have, is can a really popular ride, like ROTR, "sell out" through G+? If I get up at 7 am, and we are staying onsite, and I want ROTR to be the first thing we do, am I guaranteed to get a seat, or can it "sell out" on me and end up a waste of money?
It can "sell out" and run out of LL spots.

Rise of the Resistance is an individual pay attraction, meaning it's not part of the Genie+ package of rides. As an onsite guest, you can purchase individual attractions before offsite guests, but even onsite can be blocked out of getting one because they sell out fairly quickly. Just remember to be in the app and refresh the Tip board tab until times are available. Once you click the time you'll get an option to choose which ride time works best for you, then you pay for that ride.

Slinky Dog Dash, which is part of the Genie+ package also sells out really quick, so keep that in mind if trying to get both at 7am

right now the fastest booking attractions for Genie + appear to be Slinky Dog and Jungle Cruise. maybe try to grab those first

Thanks! Thinking about my 7 am strategy, it seems like I need to focus first on getting ROTR through the ILL, and then once that's secured, then work on things like Mickey's Railway and the Falcon ride. Don't have to worry about Slinky Dog since the kid is afraid of roller coasters.

Can you pick the time you want to ride? I only see what is on tip board
For Individual Light Lane attractions (the one's you pay extra for outside of Genie+, you can select a time - like the old FP+ system). For Genie+ Lightning Lane (the one's you pay $15 plus tax for that day, you get the next available 1-hour window - like the original paper FP system). Hope that helps!

Genie+ is the once a day $15 charge for various rides. A few rides of the most popular rides at each park can be purchased individually using the Individual Lighting Lane feature. You can pay for up to 2 of those each day. Disney indicates the actual cost can vary for those rides. The place where you wait in line is also referred to as "Lightning Lane" which is probably confusing to those new to all of this. You can only make your ride selections on the day of your visit starting @ 7am. There is another thread that is already going on for over 100 pages if you want to try to wade through lots of discussion that basically describes the same things others are mentioning above.

(Genie is the free phone app to see information about each park).

Disney Genie Lightning Lane - Save Time Waiting In Line - Walt Disney World | Walt Disney World Resort (go.com)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter