• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

confused about where to stay???

Which 2 bedroom would you choose?

• BWV

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • AKV Jambo

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • AKV Kidani

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • OKW

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FYI, BWV does not have any dedicated two bedroom villas. This means you would get a one bedroom (king bed and sofa bed in living room) and a studio (queen bed and sofa bed) connected with a door. With the dedicated two bedroom villas available at other resorts, there were be a king bed in one room, sofa bed in living room, and two queen beds in the second bedroom.

Also, the two bedrooms at Kidani Village have a third bathroom!
BWV will also have a murphy bed in the second bedroom since it is officially a studio. Same with BCV and BRV in the lockoff two bedroom villas, but not the dedicated two bedroom villas.

When are you planning on going? That will make a big impact on renting points.

AKV will have 3 bathrooms. You can not put a price on this. BLT 2 BR will also have 3 BRs. I would suggest you look at BLT as a possibility as the food options are a bit better than at AKL. Best of luck and remember to have fun.

Your daughter sounds like an amazing woman...you did a great job with her! I also homeschool my kids...nothing wrong with that! But I do like what the small private school does for them sounds like a great place!

I voted for BWV...someone else brought up a good point...will it be hard for your DD to share living space with your DS? I'm sure his kids will have snacks and stuff and it might drive your DD crazy? Would 2 studios instead be an option?

I know your DD wants to be able to stay up after her DS goes to bed and in my experience the kids are so wiped out at the end of the day that they can sleep thru TV noise and everything else in the same room. And usually I am ready for bed myself! My kids sleep better at Disney than anywhere else!

I think my friend stayed at OKW when she took her daughter that is highly allergic to nuts. She told them about her allergy and they deep cleaned their room for them including the vents. She used a travel agent that specialized in allergies. If you would like I could try to get a number or name for you.

Hi there, I have never commented on these boards, but was moved to log in and do so here because I have two kids with severe food allergies and we recently made our first trip to WDW with my in-laws, so I felt I could relate a bit. In no particular order, here is my advice/opinion (and for context, I have one kid ana dairy, tree nuts, egg and the other is FPIES soy; the first is contact-allergic to dairy (hives) but ana ingestion and as a kid is constantly putting hands in mouth etc so contact also a worry from that standpoint).

1. Everyone family unit should have their own hotel unit. What your DD needs to be able to relax on her vacation is totally contrary to what will allow the other family units to relax on their vacation. I would make almost any compromise on where you stay to achieve this. I can relate to her need to have “home” be clean, but if anyone else has to share that space it will drive her and them crazy trying to do so. She will be cleaning behind people constantly, which would drive her and then crazy. I couldn’t tell from the thread if her family would have the 2BR to themselves or be sharing with her brother’s family.

2. The kitchen is a fantastic idea. Stick with that for her family.

3. You don’t have to return to the unit for every meal. First of all not everyone should have to stick together all day — each family has its own rhythms. Secondly if her family wants they can pack a lunch and if she’s worried about surfaces her 5yo can eat on a lap or in their stroller. These are just ideas, though. I would let her decide what works best for her family but just keep all plans so that the other two family units on the trip don’t have to do it that way if they don’t want to. For example if she wants her family to eat every meal at the resort, do not schedule things so her brother’s family has to also. Let everyone flow how it makes them happiest.

3. I can not recommend highly enough the Facebook group Disney Chefs Rock Food Allergies. It is full of families with food allergies planning their WDW vacations. Many try the restaurants there but many also feel more comfortable making all their own food. Suggest your DD join — she will find a lot of commiseration and probably people with the same combo of allergies. There are also many home-schooling families on there.

4. The woman who administers that group, which is free, also has a consulting biz for families with food allergies traveling to WDW. Her daughter’s list of allergies is off the charts and they have done WDW a lot. YMMV but I found a consult with her before I went really put my mind at ease, esp as her daughter has dairy and we do too and that is a special kind of animal to avoid. But even DD doesn’t have the budget for that, much of this woman’s advice can be gleaned just from looking in the archives of the free FB group (for instance by searching “dairy” or “contact” or “villa” for things that might be relevant for your trip.

5. I think the VIP tour sounds amazing and I personally would love the chance. However, I would not spring this on your DD last minute as it may stress her out to be out of control if the agenda for an entire day and to worry about how to feed her kids safely during that experience esp as the other family units will be doing it also. I would suggest planting that concept with her in private way ahead of time so you and she can mull how her family can do it enjoyably. I would not say surprise her with it in front of the little kids or her brother’s family, as she might feel forced into something (albeit a wonderful something) that feels uncomfortable for her. Just making this type of vacation for the first time is a huge leap.

6. Have compassion for her but don’t feel you have to glue your plans to hers. When you’re watching the kids, definitely do it as she wants. But if she has a need you can’t relate to, don’t try to persuade her differently. If it’s not something you want to do, peel off — make it easy for all family units to graciously do their own thing whenever they feel so moved. It will avoid resentment. For FA families, many things are medically necessary and then some things are just coping necessary (like to avoid extreme stress or anxiety or watchfulness). So even if something doesn’t seem medically necessary (and much if not all of it is I’m sure), accept your DD needs to do it her way for her own enjoyment and mental health. The key is just to not tie the rest of the family’s plans to hers. Join her her way when it works, your separately when it doesn’t.

FWIW I was very nervous about the restaurant part and the extended family part, but we had a fantastic vacation. Preparation was 99% of it, and it sounds like you are really good at that! Best of luck, I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

Oh and we stayed BLT one bedroom with our in-laws down the hall (they would have stayed contemporary but we were too last-minute). I’ve never stayed at your three choices but have read a lot about them and would choose BWV for proximity to two parks. However if you end up deciding against the VIP tour we loved loved loved BLT for proximity to MK and MK-Area restaurants. It is not as themed but as my in-laws and DH are not as Disneyfied as I am it was a good fit for us. We also appreciated how updated the villas were, and of course the monorail is super fun. We are also a family that takes breaks to swim/nap every afternoon.

Good luck! You have lots of time to plan so I’m sure you’ll come up with something great.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this kind and useful information! I told DD about the website that you mentioned and she is eager to check it out!

Did a 2 bedroom at AKL Jambo and it was amazing! Waking up and sitting out and watching the animals is such a unique thing. Where else can you do that? You can stay at a “normal” hotel anywhere, but watching a giraffe 20 feet from you while you’re in your pjs is so unreal.
Good luck and have a great trip!

Yes, that is why we have the AKL as one of our options! I think that the DGS's would love the animals!

For the parks, since it will be in colder weather when you are going can you dress him in long pants, long sleeve and gloves? And a mask for his mouth. Since there are a lot of food smells - the mask would protect that. I think you might go crazy (way too stressful) trying to wipe everything down in the parks. I just don't know if they will let you/give you enough time to wipe the seat and hand rails on every ride. You might have time to do the hand parts while the ride is starting. This might be a question to ask disney prior to going. I've seen people sneak food onto rides...gloves and face mask might be the best move.

The mask is a great idea! If they won't let us take a minute to wipe down, then we can't ride. We can ask the CM at the beginning of the queue if that will be a problem. I know that Disney isn't what it once was, but I expect that they will try to help whenever possible. I have knee issues that take me a little longer to get in and out of a ride and it has never been a problem. In fact in one situation, I wasn't sure that I could get in and the CM argued with me to take my time and try rather than just leave!

In any event, this trip is about what we can do - we won't sweat the stuff we can't! I will be so happy just to be there with them! The boys will be over the moon just looking around!

Would you consider BCV? The proximity to the parks is great and it has a resort feel with lots to do in the area for the days you aren’t going to the parks.

Yes, we considered the BCV. We decided against however, as DD didn't like the large, sprawling SAB and trying to keep tabs on little ones. Plus, the pool might not be a good idea for DGS anyway.

Just a thought on the resort choice: AKL Jambo's restaurants - many of which use exotic ingredients-- are on the ground/pool floor and one tends to walk from the elevators through the open areas leading to Jiko and BOMA in order to get to the pool area. Severe allergies that can be triggered by airborne allergens would mean you may need to avoid this area of the resort. Restaurants at BWV and OKW are located away from the resort rooms and you are not having to walk through enclosed spaces where food allergens may be present because of restaurants. I wish you well with your family planning.

Good point!

FYI, BWV does not have any dedicated two bedroom villas. This means you would get a one bedroom (king bed and sofa bed in living room) and a studio (queen bed and sofa bed) connected with a door. With the dedicated two bedroom villas available at other resorts, there were be a king bed in one room, sofa bed in living room, and two queen beds in the second bedroom.

Also, the two bedrooms at Kidani Village have a third bathroom!

This is really important information to know. Thanks for sharing!

BWV will also have a murphy bed in the second bedroom since it is officially a studio. Same with BCV and BRV in the lockoff two bedroom villas, but not the dedicated two bedroom villas.

When are you planning on going? That will make a big impact on renting points.

The BWV looks like the winner to me! A lock off would be perfect, as my DS will like having two sleeping surfaces for his 2 girls.

We are going Nov 30 - Dec 8, 2019. A very busy time, I know. So we are looking to either get points transferred or to find someone willing to rent points well in advance of the 11 month window. It will be necessary to book as soon as the booking window opens, I believe. We know that our first choice may not be the one that we get in the end, but we need to know what we want at least! LOL! We have a series of backups in mind. Worst case scenario, we fail to get the DVC and have to stay in FW cabins.

AKV will have 3 bathrooms. You can not put a price on this. BLT 2 BR will also have 3 BRs. I would suggest you look at BLT as a possibility as the food options are a bit better than at AKL. Best of luck and remember to have fun.

Yes, the extra bathroom will be very nice! Thanks!

Your daughter sounds like an amazing woman...you did a great job with her! I also homeschool my kids...nothing wrong with that! But I do like what the small private school does for them sounds like a great place!

I voted for BWV...someone else brought up a good point...will it be hard for your DD to share living space with your DS? I'm sure his kids will have snacks and stuff and it might drive your DD crazy? Would 2 studios instead be an option?

I know your DD wants to be able to stay up after her DS goes to bed and in my experience the kids are so wiped out at the end of the day that they can sleep thru TV noise and everything else in the same room. And usually I am ready for bed myself! My kids sleep better at Disney than anywhere else!

Thank you! That private school is a real blessing! AND I think that my DD is pretty amazing, too (I may be a little biased, LOL).

My daughter and son are very close friends, live next door to each other, have connecting back yards and are raising their respective children more like sisters and brothers than cousins. The kids are all very aware of 'Caleb safe' foods and we will all eat "Caleb Safe' while travelling. It is part of how we do things as a family, so no worries there. My DD and DS want to stay together, but want a lock off so that they can escape to some nuclear family privacy when needed.

Thank you! I think that she may find everyone going to bed early as well. If so, then that is one 'problem' solved! LOL

I think my friend stayed at OKW when she took her daughter that is highly allergic to nuts. She told them about her allergy and they deep cleaned their room for them including the vents. She used a travel agent that specialized in allergies. If you would like I could try to get a number or name for you.

Yes, we plan to have the room deep cleaned prior to arrival. MY DD won't trust to that, but it may help make her job a bit easier. Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies. It is amazing how much clearer I feel about what we are looking for after posting and reading all your helpful responses. These forums are populated by the most awesome people. I greatly appreciate you all!!!

Oh, and we have decided to go with either BLT or the BWV, if possible. Now I have to find someone with points to transfer or rent!!!

Thanks again, everyone!!

For the parks, since it will be in colder weather when you are going can you dress him in long pants, long sleeve and gloves? And a mask for his mouth. Since there are a lot of food smells - the mask would protect that. I think you might go crazy (way too stressful) trying to wipe everything down in the parks. I just don't know if they will let you/give you enough time to wipe the seat and hand rails on every ride. You might have time to do the hand parts while the ride is starting. This might be a question to ask disney prior to going. I've seen people sneak food onto rides...gloves and face mask might be the best move.
I wouldn’t count on cooler weather! We traveled during that time last year and it was hot! But winter in Florida is very unpredictable and could be cool. We’ve encountered all weather from hot to cold!

wow your daughter sounds like an amazing mom! Just wanted to say the disney store has adorable mickey hands right now for your little guy! They are mittens made to look like his hands. There are also the big character type ones but they might be hard to travel with and not very useful. I was thinking a medical mask too when on the rides. Perhaps maybe adding something to them each day to make it like a disney character.

As far as where to stay? I can't imagine them not loving AKL with a savannah view.

I wouldn’t count on cooler weather! We traveled during that time last year and it was hot! But winter in Florida is very unpredictable and could be cool. We’ve encountered all weather from hot to cold!

True, but your best chance of cool weather is definitely Jan - Feb in Florida! I bet that I am one of the few for whom cold weather in Florida is a good thing! LOL!

wow your daughter sounds like an amazing mom! Just wanted to say the disney store has adorable mickey hands right now for your little guy! They are mittens made to look like his hands. There are also the big character type ones but they might be hard to travel with and not very useful. I was thinking a medical mask too when on the rides. Perhaps maybe adding something to them each day to make it like a disney character.

As far as where to stay? I can't imagine them not loving AKL with a savannah view.

Great tip on the mittens! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter