Confused About Weather and What to Pack! Help!

BrittyRo

DIS Veteran
So I'm heading down in a week to the World and I looked at the weather to start packing. However, I'm still kinda not sure what to wear. We are two adults coming from the frigid cold of NYC (where the weather is in the 30's/low 40's) staying for 5 nights. While the high 70's (mmm warmth) would indicate shorts the low of mid 50's makes me think pants.
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 3.05.17 PM.png
I need some opinions/help! Maybe hopefully someone who is currently there can chime in on what the weather feels like (what they are wearing) and what we should pack Thank you! :cheer2::banana::dance3:

We were there last week. We had high's in the 80s and lows in the low 40s. We had everything from tank tops and shorts to jeans and light winter coats.

Keep in mind when packing that you're going to experience some "Florida cold". The low temps may be warmer than up here in the NE, but with it being flat there and lots of water, any breeze gives you a pretty good chill (also keep in mind that if you get some sun, you're skin is more sensitive to temperature changes), so definitely don't forget the sunblock. I'm not ashamed to say that I had it on and the temp only went up to 60-65.

You'll most likely want to start your day with a hoodie/light jacket (it gets rather chilly in the shade) and then just peel layers as you go, then just reverse it for heading out at night. Low 50's sound pretty nice until you're standing at the Lagoon in Epcot waiting for Illuminations and you're freezing because you're not moving.

Pack mainly clothes for warm weather, but you'll want to bring a sweater or two and a pair of pants.

Lately it's been chilly in the morning but by about 8am it's warmed up and shorts and shirts weather. But bring pants and a jacket just in case there's any colder weather that comes through

We were there last week and that was how our weather was too. It was beautiful! I tend to get cold easily so I wore jeans and short sleeve tops. I packed a sweatshirt for the cool mornings but didn't really need it! Hope you have a great trip!!

Wow thanks for the really quick responses guys!! I'm always cold and DH is always hot ( :rolleyes: ). We usually stay in Parks from opening to closing, so I guess I should wear a sweatshirt in AM and just pack a change of clothes just in case. After DLP in December I think it's gonna feel blazing hot :rotfl::rotfl2: DH said Disney should never be that cold (winter coats, scarfs, gloves, hats etc)

Capri leggings, short sleeve shirt and long sleeve around waist for night-time was my go-to all this week (mid 70's to mid 40's).

As a native New Yorker living in Chicago, I will preamble this by saying 30s and 40s is weather I don't even wear a winter coat in anymore. If you think that's cold, try the teens and 20s as your winter baseline. ;-)

In mid December last year we experienced one very chilly/breezy night in the 40s, and the rest of the trip was shorts and sunblock weather. We brought long pants, a sweater, and warm shoes and socks just in case, and we used them that night. For Florida winter, you need to be prepared for one or two cold days, but otherwise prepare for what you would consider to be summer in New York the rest of the time.

We are also heading there next week from the Toronto area, so pretty much the same weather as you're used to! I have been watching the weather and will be planning on short sleeves with capris or shorts, or dresses the whole week. We may bring a pair of pants, will NEED to wear them for departure and arrival day of course ;). Going to bring hoodies to start the day with and likely end it as well. We have a 3 year old who will be in a stroller so we have somewhere to put sweaters when not wearing them. It's an iffy time of year weather wise in Florida, I am SO thrilled we will have weather as nice as they are calling for!

We were just there last week. One day we were wearing shorts and sandals and didn't even need a jacket in the evening, and the next day we were in rain boots, winter coats and mittens. My husband was annoyed at me for overpacking for everyone and making him bring his winter coat, but we wore every single thing I packed. And no one complained that they were too hot or too cold- so it was a win/win. I like to think of it as being over prepared instead of labeling myself an over packer.

(We also went on a cruise while we were there so we lived in our bathing suits for half the trip too). It was the craziest weather week ever for us.

Layers. Bring warmer stuff than you think you'll need just in case. And the stuff for if it's warmer weather than expected. Bring it all. :)

DH said Disney should never be that cold (winter coats, scarfs, gloves, hats etc)

It shouldn't be but it does. I'm sitting here wearing my wdw sweatshirt I bought in 2010 when I realized the temperatures were dropping beyond expected and I also have my Ravenclaw scarf I bought one morning at IOA when it was 28 degrees and my son had just talked me into rising Flight of the Hippogriff 14 times in a row. I think I'm still defrosting from that!

We are heading in the same days as you from NJ. I am so cold at night here :) We are packing this weekend and I am going to bring shorts, capri's and a few pair of jeans b/c I can't stand being chilly. :) If I wear them I wear them. My kids are all about the shorts but I snuck in leggings for both of them and we will have 1 or 2 sweatshirts with us as well.

Have an amazing trip !

First your going to keep looking at the forecast because it'll change suddenly and feb 10 is a week away.

My suggestion is pack primarily for the forecast. In the case of this example your probably talking shorts and tshirts but your also looking at being cold at night or mornings so layers like some form of pants and sleeved jackets. But, and this is the big but, it can still get lower and there is a cold front that might hit here again end of next week (which is why your still going to watch the forecast and adjust). So don't brave the cold to get to/from the airport, bring that heavy jacket, gloves and hat with you. You dont' have to go crazy with cold weather and bring double the luggage, but have something you could wash if it ends up being 1 or more days of cold.

basically, anything you don't bring you'll need to buy and there isn't many options and it's all disney priced down here (plus your time to find it and buy it). and then you need to get it home so you might be looking at buying another bag. I personally would prefer to get an outfit or 2 of opposite forecast weather for everyone and need 1 more bag and the fees for that bag then to be at disney and have to waste time and money buying the closest things they have to opposite weather clothing.

We have similar weather here in Austin as Orlando does in the winter; however, we get cooler days more often. I say pack for the 80s and the 40s and everything in between. We had 70s and 40s the week after xmas at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter