CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

Maybe because this is my generation seeing Epcot, I always interpreted it as “Disney’s discover park” and not as a showcase of technology like the worlds fairs were. That aspect was gone around the time I was born. Everything I’ve seen coming forth still aligns with the idea of “discovery” that I’ve associated with Epcot. Again I think the “eulogy” is a gross exaggeration but only time will tell how this show and Epcot forever will be

I think it's just a clear message that the Epcot we all have known is no more and Disney acknowledging that they will be completely moving on from its original and reworked concept. They have a different plan for the future of the park and this show seems to be the final sendoff before the entire park is reworked the way they reworked MGM. So I see the temporary show as the Eulogy for what was before and the permanent show as the rebirth for what we can expect.

I'm barely old enough to have just caught the end of Epcot Center, and while I liked it, I'm not quite attached to it as many that experienced it in full. But to me this seems very similar to the situation at MGM where the park lost its identity and is largely a thematic mishmash.

I think it's just a clear message that the Epcot we all have known is no more and Disney acknowledging that they will be completely moving on from its original and reworked concept. They have a different plan for the future of the park and this show seems to be the final sendoff before the entire park is reworked the way they reworked MGM. So I see the temporary show as the Eulogy for what was before and the permanent show as the rebirth for what we can expect.

I'm barely old enough to have just caught the end of Epcot Center, and while I liked it, I'm not quite attached to it as many that experienced it in full. But to me this seems very similar to the situation at MGM where the park lost its identity and is largely a thematic mishmash.
It isn't that I am massively attached to the original Epcot idea, but I like that all the parks are different and Epcot is something you'll never see anywhere else. I don't see how they can make IPCOT without it feeling weird and it becoming a mishmash as you say.

I also, personally, think that Illuminations shows the true creativity of Disney. Who else would've written a full and beautiful score for a fireworks show, with a story that will still be loved after more than 7000 showings over 20 years. Anyone can make a mix tape of Disney songs.

I am also a Disney Parks fan, more than a straight Disney fan, so that probably jades my views some.

So we have a name for the long-term Illuminations replacement, right?

"A Celebration of Disney Music"

I am not sure how I feel about this. I love Illuminations, it is my favorite Fireworks show, so that is getting in the way I think, but I had hoped that the new show would still keep an international appeal, without intertwining Disney music into it as it's central point. With the tension in the World today, I always left the WS with a sense of peace. I am not sure a beautiful spectacular that is based on inspirational Disney music will have the same effect. I do think a 2019 trip is in order.

I for one am excited! 2 new epcot shows... i bet the temporary show will be mostly aerial-based while the permanent show will be a worthy successor to ROE. I love illuminations but it is time... tech has come a long way in 20yrs, we will all be impressed when it debuts.

I for one am excited! 2 new epcot shows... i bet the temporary show will be mostly aerial-based while the permanent show will be a worthy successor to ROE. I love illuminations but it is time... tech has come a long way in 20yrs, we will all be impressed when it debuts.

Oh I am generally impressed with any Disney show, but I do hope that the international aspect is heavily invested into the new one. I know it may seem a little superficial, but when I walk through the WS, I always wish that feeling of neighborliness was the reality, and so by the time Illuminations started, I am a mushy sentimental mess. I want that with the new show, and I am not sure that uniting the World through Disney inspirational music will cut the mustard. Oh well, we will see.

So they are not only going to stab me in the heart but also twist the knife before the permanent show debuts? :rolleyes:

I’m a huge Illuminations fan and I’m going to miss it terribly. But I can see where it’s probably time - that globe part in the middle is kinda boring and I’m sure the story gets lost on many. But the “good evening”, blowing out the torches, the music... Sigh.

I’m also an EPCOT Center girl. I think I’ll probably like the interim show. Especially if they throw the original “Living with the Land” in there, although not sure how well that fits with fireworks.

An IP-infused show? I just don’t know. But WDW has pleasantly surprised me before. Shockingly the Frozen ride was not the end of the world and I kinda like it. So I’ll cross my fingers. And in the meantime see Illuminations as many times as I possibly can. :goodvibes

Its also, almost certainly correct to anyone who has at all been paying attention to the direction disney has been headed.
Yep the writing has been on the wall for a while, the tipping point was frozen, and now the carts going downhill full speed.

I’m not going to trash a show that hasn’t even been developed yet, but the premise that’s been announced doesn’t do a lot for me given it’s epcot

While I hate to see it end, I will ironically be in WDW the weekend of Sept 28-29th. So if it holds true that the show will indeed end on the 30th, I will def extend it so i can see both. I've never had the opportunity to be at a last or first show before. :fingerscrossed:

Thinking about this and the Riviera. One thing that would be an improvement is elevating the focal point of the show up a bit.
You have a big beautiful lagoon, but it's still difficult to get a great view of illuminations unless you secure a spot fairly early. A more traditional fireworks show above the lagoon, would allow younger viewers and adults a better view of the show. Don't get me wrong, you can see a fair amount of stuff in the air if you don't have an optimal spot, but there is a lot of focus on the water level.
It wouldn't take a whole lot to raise that level a bit, making a lot more comfortable spots to enjoy the end of night show, perhaps with a snack and a tasty beverage.
Then mix in views for the Riviera and other area resorts, raising the viewing level of the show can be a big hit(if the show itself is good).

And here I was hoping for a throwback to the 1988 - 1996 version of Illuminations. I’ve never been very fond of Reflections of Earth but I ADORED the late 80s-mid 90s version. Maybe Epcot Forever will include a throwback to that version of Illuminations. When I think of Illuminations, I think of that late 80s-mid 90s version, even though I’ve seen RoE a number of times.

I’m not sure how I feel about IP being introduced and I am going to try not to judge until I see it. But since I don’t love RoE, I’m looking forward to a change.

Last edited:
The more and more I thought about it, it made me realize: it’s time. Whether or not we care to admit it it is time to change out illuminations. I had a thought that I’m keeping to myself out of fear of being attacked over my outlook on the situation which made me realize more and more it’s time to update. But like I said, more power to anyone whose judging the new show based solely off of four preliminary pieces of concept art

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter