CONFIRMED covid-19 family knew they tested positive and chose to visit WDW and fly on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have cold or flu like symptoms? No

Do you have an active temperature? No

Come on board.

The screenings are a facade meant to absolve companies from lawsuits and place that burden on the individual. No one in their right mind is going to show up to the airport, Disney or the grocery store and say yes to those questions if they want to be there.

But, if they were THAT sick, that they were that close to death... I would think they would have LOOKED sick, which should have been a clue to someone that they might have been lying.

The fact that some people are worried that this person may have been at the parks Covid positive or may have (did) traveled Covid positive says to me those people have been living in a fantasy land (and not the fun one behind the castle) this whole time.

He was not the first and won’t be the last. It is making headlines because he was bad enough to die on a flight. Like has been said all along, be okay with the chance you may catch Covid when you travel, or where you go anywhere at this point really. Stop taking comfort in people coming back reporting they didn’t catch Covid. The narrative that Disney and even traveling to there is “safer than my grocery store” needs to end already. I don’t mean to say that scared people need to stay home while everyone else lives because I strongly disagree that this can or should be an individual effort, but the reality right now is you could possibly be exposed traveling so you probably shouldn’t if that makes you uncomfortable. Not even to Disney.

The part I don't understand is if this family really was at WDW, why didn't the sick person get stopped at the temp checks. If there was someone who was so sick that they died on the way home, wouldn't he/she have been running a pretty serious fever for days before that? Or is it not confirmed that they actually WERE at WDW....??:scratchin

Hesitant to go there as it is at risk of driving this way off topic, but there are many covid patients who require hospitalization who are NOT febrile when admitted. You can have severe covid with no fever.

So here's my question... I thought airlines were supposed to be screening passengers before they board? So... what happened here? I mean if he was sick enough to die on the plane with Covid symptoms, someone dropped the ball in screening.

Isn’t it just a self screening? Checking off boxes on a form or phone?

People used to lie on the cruise ship self screens all the time. That’s nothing new.

Isn’t it just a self screening? Checking off boxes on a form or phone?

People used to lie on the cruise ship self screens all the time. That’s nothing new.

I honestly wasn't sure, as honestly, I haven't followed it that closely. If so, that would make sense as to how easily one could slip through.

The fact that some people are worried that this person may have been at the parks Covid positive or may have (did) traveled Covid positive says to me those people have been living in a fantasy land (and not the fun one behind the castle) this whole time.

He was not the first and won’t be the last. It is making headlines because he was bad enough to die on a flight. Like has been said all along, be okay with the chance you may catch Covid when you travel, or where you go anywhere at this point really. Stop taking comfort in people coming back reporting they didn’t catch Covid. The narrative that Disney and even traveling to there is “safer than my grocery store” needs to end already. I don’t mean to say that scared people need to stay home while everyone else lives because I strongly disagree that this can or should be an individual effort, but the reality right now is you could possibly be exposed traveling so you probably shouldn’t if that makes you uncomfortable. Not even to Disney.
Exactly this. And just because this person, sadly, passed away doesn’t mean they were any more contagious than anyone else on flights or at the parks. They didn’t have a new mutant strain of the virus. They just didn’t get treatment for their symptoms once they started. It’s really no different than the probably hundreds of people a day that are on flights or walking around the parks with minor symptoms or are asymptomatic. We have to trust that the masks and social distancing are working because we haven’t seen any mass outbreaks traced back to the parks. This one person isn’t going to be the cause of a mass outbreak either.

But, if they were THAT sick, that they were that close to death... I would think they would have LOOKED sick, which should have been a clue to someone that they might have been lying.

Lots of people look sick who have terminal illnesses that arent communicable. The airline employees are bot health experts. At the end of the day it seems the family lied and they should be held accountable for it.

You’re right that he wasn’t the first or last, but man it snapped me back into reality. You can easily be lulled into a false sense of security about travel by reading these boards and/or Facebook.

You’re right that he wasn’t the first or last, but man it snapped me back into reality. You can easily be lulled into a false sense of security about travel by reading these boards and/or Facebook.

I completely agree that it’s easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. It really doesn’t matter if 20 Dis members test negative after their trips, or have gone to Disney ____ times without getting sick. The majority of Disney guests are not going to get sick from any given day in the parks. One of the scariest things to think about is despite this virus running around for at least a year at this point and impacting so many even beyond those who get sick, it still has not come close to infecting the majority in many (all?) places meaning the “I didn’t get sick” people could very likely not have encountered someone sick, not necessarily that they were protected by precautions. We are seeing this in schools where I live. They are “low risk” due to precautions being taken even when a child was at school theoretically infectious until suddenly they aren’t and there are outbreaks. I don’t mean to compare Disney to schools because they are obviously different, just illustrating that not catching Covid there has a luck aspect as well.

We as individuals have a lot less control over this than we want to believe. The main way we can control our own exposure is where we go. The rest can be helpful but still opens you up to the risk of catching Covid.

Last edited:
Just a general reminder....not everyone who has COVID-19, whether confirmed by testing, or not, has a fever. Also, not everyone carrying the virus has any symptoms at all.

Of course, if you know or suspect you are sick, we know what the responsible action is. Unfortunately, those who have no symptoms or suspicions are out in public, without realizing their condition.

The part I don't understand is if this family really was at WDW, why didn't the sick person get stopped at the temp checks. If there was someone who was so sick that they died on the way home, wouldn't he/she have been running a pretty serious fever for days before that? Or is it not confirmed that they actually WERE at WDW....??:scratchin
A good amount of people with Covid symptoms don’t run a high fever. The temp check is safety theater (Iger said this back before the parks reopened) and hey it employees people so yay. Anyone who thinks they have a temp but still intends to go somewhere with a temp check will just pop some Tylenol or other fever busting med.

As for this particular case reports are he suffered from high blood pressure and respiratory issues. He died of a heart attack probably triggered by COVID. Twitter “first hand reports” say passengers saw he was having “difficulty breathing” and/or “serious” symptoms when they boarded the plane- and yet none of those same passengers thought it was serious enough to not get onto a cross country flight with the man which is why I don’t blame UA for not deplaning him due to symptoms.

Random observation- “family” makes a much more sensational story than man and his wife.

As for action against the family all I expect is a ban from UA similar to the couple who flew back to HI from SFO knowingly COVID positive.

If you are really worried about COVID, don't go to Disney, or lots of others places. It's everywhere. There are no rules or laws or equipment that is going to insure your safety. Stay home and wait until the vaccine is out. It's really that simple.

It’s not that simple though. For a vacation, absolutely is, but not the rest.

Outside of the Disney bubble where much of this discussion is “should we go to Disney or not?” people who would love to stay home more can’t because they work jobs where not only can they not be done from home, but they have to interact with the public. Very few people can truly isolate for extended amounts of time and not have to rely on other people to make good decisions.

As expected this thread is starting to take a turn. I’ll give one warning but after that it will be closed. Lots of unknown details, lots of this person said this or that, and some shaming others for their choices.

There is a lot I could say or want to say but it won’t help anything. Much of it would also go against our guidelines here. This is a much bigger issue than someone traveling. I do think people need to realize in an instance like getting on a plane or going to a theme park right now you are accepting a certain amount of risk.

It’s not that simple though. For a vacation, absolutely is, but not the rest.

Outside of the Disney bubble where much of this discussion is “should we go to Disney or not?” people who would love to stay home more can’t because they work jobs where not only can they not be done from home, but they have to interact with the public. Very few people can truly isolate for extended amounts of time and not have to rely on other people to make good decisions.

I wasn't suggesting complete isolation. Just avoiding unnecessary exposures if you are concerned.

Maybe not. Maybe being in the air accelerated things. Even on the ground some people rapidly decline with little warning.
He likely took fever reducing meds and lied. Being in a plane for that long likely made things worse for him. It has been reported that people can have very low oxygen sats and not even realize it. Then they crash quickly. Im sure this could be a likely explanation for what occurred here. FWIW I have an asthmatic child who is also a competitive gymnast. We have literally taken her straight from a four hour intense practice to her check up and found that her oxygen levels were in the 80's. She had no symptoms of this and "felt fine". But she couldn't make it through her PFT's. This sort of thing does happen and it honestly doesn't surprise me. (also I am a RN and see this stuff happen) FWIW I took my ten year old to WDW this fall for a trip. We drove straight there and back and had a plan for what we would do if one of us became ill. (stay in a hotel locked down if it was me and drive to our family vacation house and stay there for the duration if it was her). I didn't even tell her about the trip until the day we left because we had to be sure no one was exposed or sick prior to leaving. The fact that these people did this, knowing that he had these symptoms- well it is just disgusting behavior. Not surprising. But disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter