Concierge Experts can you answer dinning question

upbeatred

Mouseketeer
We have a fairly last minute concierge room on hold for the Disney Wish. It is the first week in October. When my travel agent put it on hold, only second seating for dinning was available. How likely is it that concierge can change the seating? Also will we be able to get a reservation at Palo? Just wondering how much concierge can help? Appreciate any input.

Getting first dining is not difficult, even for regular guests, unless your cruise is super full or you are trying to move a very large group. Palo is pretty much guaranteed when you are Concierge. On the few Concierge cruises where we hadn’t booked a Palo meal in advance, we were offered to book it during the embarkation meet. You should request both ASAP just to make sure, but the onboard team will make it happen if shoreside fails to do so.

We have a fairly last minute concierge room on hold for the Disney Wish. It is the first week in October. When my travel agent put it on hold, only second seating for dinning was available. How likely is it that concierge can change the seating? Also will we be able to get a reservation at Palo? Just wondering how much concierge can help? Appreciate any input.
You should be find for both of these requests. You can request both already through shoreside concierge otherwise ask once you board.

We just booked a last minute room on the Wish, concierge, for the end of October. We had second seating dinning and requested main. It has been moved. Our last trip on the fantasy, in conceirge, we had to move our Palo dinning due to ir conflicting with one of the shows-last minute. They moved it-we sat at the captains table in Palo. He wasn't using it that evening-so not with him. But they made it happen. It was pretty cool. They do whatever they can.

Have done a number of concierge and even more regular DCL cruises and agree that you can definitely request and should be able to get a switch to earlier seating. The question I have is really, why there is such a push to get the earlier seating. (OP you do not have to explain, it is a more general question for any one reading this thread.)

We typically have done the later seating, and usually move to later if not assigned, after having experienced both. Sure it might be different from our normal routine but we are on vacation. Our son did well with late dining over the years. One cruise with the cousins where we did early, things did not go all that well. Kids had afternoon naps interrupted or missed with the port and dinner schedule. We find it easy to have a more relaxed afternoon pace with late seating. If anyone is hungry there are plenty of snacks around the pool deck and particularly in the lounge when sailing concierge.

Not saying don't try and some people it may not be ideal still to have late dining. Just sharing be open, and if you don't get it you may be pleasantly surprised.

Getting switched to first dining will be no issue. Palo you should be fine as well. Enchante is a little harder if you’re hoping for that. Concierge was unable to get us in to enchante after they made a mistake and cancelled my reservation before making sure they could move it to a different day.

Just sharing my experience from earlier this year - I called Shoreside Concierge when I realized that I had missed changing the auto selection of late dining to early dining. Oops. By that time, we had already been booked for several months. They placed a call to the dining team who was able to get it changed right away and it reflected on our reservation immediately.

Have done a number of concierge and even more regular DCL cruises and agree that you can definitely request and should be able to get a switch to earlier seating. The question I have is really, why there is such a push to get the earlier seating. (OP you do not have to explain, it is a more general question for any one reading this thread.)

We typically have done the later seating, and usually move to later if not assigned, after having experienced both. Sure it might be different from our normal routine but we are on vacation. Our son did well with late dining over the years. One cruise with the cousins where we did early, things did not go all that well. Kids had afternoon naps interrupted or missed with the port and dinner schedule. We find it easy to have a more relaxed afternoon pace with late seating. If anyone is hungry there are plenty of snacks around the pool deck and particularly in the lounge when sailing concierge.

Not saying don't try and some people it may not be ideal still to have late dining. Just sharing be open, and if you don't get it you may be pleasantly surprised.
Some kids don't do well with deviating from their routine (I'm glad yours did). Some also have medical issues where they have to eat at certain intervals, or they have to eat XX number of hours before they go to bed. With late dining they would pretty much have to eat and go to bed, which for them is problematic.

I prefer late dining, so I get it. But you asked the broad question about why there is a push to get earlier seating, so there's a couple reasons why. Sometimes it's not just a matter of keeping an open mind, there are 'real' reasons to want/prefer it.

Some kids don't do well with deviating from their routine (I'm glad yours did). Some also have medical issues where they have to eat at certain intervals, or they have to eat XX number of hours before they go to bed. With late dining they would pretty much have to eat and go to bed, which for them is problematic.

I prefer late dining, so I get it. But you asked the broad question about why there is a push to get earlier seating, so there's a couple reasons why. Sometimes it's not just a matter of keeping an open mind, there are 'real' reasons to want/prefer it.

and not just children but adults as well-as you age the likelihood of reflux becomes higher and late dining plus directly going to sleep doesn't help that! We're early to bed early to rise (years of habit thanks to our occupations) so we always request early dining.

Last edited:
and just just children but adults as well-as you age the likelihood of reflux becomes higher and late dining plus directly going to sleep doesn't help that! We're early to bed early to rise (years of habit thanks to our occupations) so we always request early dining.
Yes, I meant it was the adults that had the reflux/medical issues with eating late and then going right to bed. I realize now my pronoun use was confusing.

It CLEARLY says in my post - "some people it may not be ideal still to have late dining". So yes, I understand and do not expect everyone to able to adjust.

I was just pointing out that there are some benefits, for some, particularly around a vacation cruise schedule, accommodating port schedules, and multiple dining/snacking options that are present on a cruise, which might make late dining possible for folks that have never tried it. People discovered "second dinner" long ago and it is such a fun term (and experience).

Good for you, you got a dig at me in stating I did not understand "real" reasons.

It CLEARLY says in my post - "some people it may not be ideal still to have late dining". So yes, I understand and do not expect everyone to able to adjust.

I was just pointing out that there are some benefits, for some, particularly around a vacation cruise schedule, accommodating port schedules, and multiple dining/snacking options that are present on a cruise, which might make late dining possible for folks that have never tried it. People discovered "second dinner" long ago and it is such a fun term (and experience).

Good for you, you got a dig at me in stating I did not understand "real" reasons.
I was not trying to "dig" at you, so I apologize if I came across that way. You asked a question, and I was trying to answer it. There is, however, a difference between "ideal" and needing for medical reasons-that is the distinction I was trying to make but I see perhaps it didn't come across how I intended.

And as I stated, I prefer late dining, so I certainly understand and agree with your points about a vacation cruise schedule, not rushing back from excursions, etc. And for those who can explore second seating I agree it's not the ogre some people seem to make it it out to be. I was merely pointing out that for some, first seating isn't as much a choice as a necessity (since you put the question out there). But again, I was not trying to dig, honestly was trying to be helpful so I'm sorry if that got lost in translation somehow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter