Concerns about cruising at all until COVID19 vaccine exists

There was an Antartica cruise where 50% of the people onboard tested positive, However, no-one was sick or had any symptoms. Currently only sick people or cruise passengers are being tested. I wonder if they would get the same results if they forced everyone found in a grocery store to take the test.

If I were in a high risk group then I would not take a cruise. Otherwise, I would do it next week, if it wasn't for everyones overreaction.

Do you mind if I ask what symptoms are still hanging on or is it just generally not feeling 100%? This is so new to everyone. Also, I hope things are looking up for you. I know you had a rough time of it for a while, there.
Sure, it is really just the breathing and fatigue. Fever's gone, cough is almost completely gone, but I have to take more/deeper breaths all the time and I get winded walking from one side of the house to the other, and I get exhausted sitting up at my computer to work from home for more than a few hours and have to break to go lie down for a bit midday. From news articles I've read I am guessing I probably just have some residual "gunk" that has yet to clear my lungs. It does seem to get a little bit better each day though.

ETA, also thank you. Especially being so socially isolated, it really means a lot to have so much support from folks on this board. It was definitely scary for a while.

Sure, it is really just the breathing and fatigue. Fever's gone, cough is almost completely gone, but I have to take more/deeper breaths all the time and I get winded walking from one side of the house to the other, and I get exhausted sitting up at my computer to work from home for more than a few hours and have to break to go lie down for a bit midday. From news articles I've read I am guessing I probably just have some residual "gunk" that has yet to clear my lungs. It does seem to get a little bit better each day though.

ETA, also thank you. Especially being so socially isolated, it really means a lot to have so much support from folks on this board. It was definitely scary for a while.
So glad to hear you're doing better.

We have a May cruise, and unless it gets cancelled by Disney, we will probably go. I think if one plans to wait for a vaccine to cruise again, you may not cruise again. There are tons of viruses and illnesses we don't have vaccines for that affect many people every year. I'm not going to let that stop me from doing things. They are trying to determine now why California is not having as much trouble as NY, and some are speculating the virus may have been in California for months now and many have built up a natural immunity to it. Time will tell, but we can't just lock ourselves up in our houses and expect any of us to survive long term.

I'm in the "not sure" boat. We had planned to take our daughter in March as soon as she was old enough to sail (6 months), obviously that didn't happen. Now we're looking at first birthday. We will have to play it by ear. We live in Orlando so it's easy to book last minute.

We also were planning on Aulani in October - I *REALLY* hope we can do that. We will see. I just got over a 2 month long stretch of cold->sinus infection->brochitis so it worries me that my body would not do well in response to this virus.

Then again - my daughter will likely be back and daycare and me at work in a building with 1,000 people.... how much more of a risk is a vacation?

Oh.. and we do have Yacht Club booked for this summer for a weekend. We will likely do that either way and just spend time at the pool and not parks.

I am also a bit skeptical about "reinfection" and agree it is more likely a "not recovered" situation. I'm still not 100% better after 3 weeks. This is not an illness you get over quickly.
Sorry you are still not back to normal. Glad you are feeling better. Do you continue to improve each day, or have you been stuck with certain symptoms? I am close to 90%. I just have lingering sinus pressure causing headache and facial pain. My sinuses are slowly starting to drain so I get a little cough every once in a while from that. I am SO glad not to be totally exhausted. Get well soon!

We have a May cruise, and unless it gets cancelled by Disney, we will probably go. I think if one plans to wait for a vaccine to cruise again, you may not cruise again. There are tons of viruses and illnesses we don't have vaccines for that affect many people every year. I'm not going to let that stop me from doing things. They are trying to determine now why California is not having as much trouble as NY, and some are speculating the virus may have been in California for months now and many have built up a natural immunity to it. Time will tell, but we can't just lock ourselves up in our houses and expect any of us to survive long term.

I'm 99.9% certain your May cruise will be cancelled.

I'm not sure where you heard about this natural immunity thing, but you can't build up a natural immunity. You gain immunity to something by HAVING the thing. This is a novel virus which means that nobody has immunity and it can't be built up. You gain the antibodies (aka immunity) by having it. If it had been running through the California population months ago, we would be seeing the same situations we've been seeing in Italy, New York, Seattle, etc.

We will cruise ist likely cruise before a vaccine. The new data coming in is positive for our family decision making. This virus has been here a while and many have had it already.

water waste studies have shown 1000s more are infected than reported. I think once we find the true common denominator more people will except the risk of this virus.

Though the number of deaths right now in New York are astonishing and alarming. I think we just really need more data. The next few weeks we will be getting much better data on this virus and can make decisions based off of that. Right now I would not make the decision say for us we are waiting for a vaccine we are keeping our options open to determine what risk level is ok for us

Last edited:
Well, my May 11th cruise got cancelled, so I guess that made the decision for me. That being said, I am not hesitant to cruise again when they start back. The problem I have, is the May 11th cruise was the best window between work, college and price my family will likely have for a few years.

As far as a vaccine goes, it may be years before a vaccine is available, if there ever is one. There are many diseases we have now that don't have a vaccine. Like most things in life, people have to weigh the risks and rewards and decide what is best for them at any given point in time. (And their decision doesn't mean they have no heart for folks who should make different decisions.) I choose to drive even though I could be killed in a car wreck. When I was a firefighter< I chose to go into dangerous situations to help others, even though they could harm me.) In time, we will figure out how to navigate this, and we must return to work and normal activities. I plan to cruise again, and I hope DCL is there when I do. I think, of all the cruise lines, they are probably best positioned to weather this storm.

If it had been running through the California population months ago, we would be seeing the same situations we've been seeing in Italy, New York, Seattle, etc.

Not necessarily. CA has a much more diffuse population compared to NY, Seattle and cities in Italy. We tend to live in 1 family houses and tend to use public transportation less frequently. We know that density really facilitates spread of the virus.

Also, given that CA was receiving 8,000 people PER DAY on direct flights from China for months before the ban was put in places, chances are excellent that the virus was in CA much earlier but did not have the same kind of impact because the population density (and therefore spread of the virus) is less.

One of my serious concerns and I'm NOT trying to be political, but if they do develop a vaccine, and it proves effective enough to have every one receive it, what will the folks that don't believe in vaccinations do? If they refuse the vaccine, based on their scientific beliefs, will they be allowed to take a cruise??? I do worry about the vaccine being universally effective, but can everyone take it? Can infants? Elderly with underlying health conditions? Cancer patients? etc... if there's exceptions those are at risk. There's just too many unknowns at this point, I honestly believe that until a working vaccine is discovered, the chances of cruises resuming might not be very good. Just so many questions.

One of my serious concerns and I'm NOT trying to be political, but if they do develop a vaccine, and it proves effective enough to have every one receive it, what will the folks that don't believe in vaccinations do? If they refuse the vaccine, based on their scientific beliefs, will they be allowed to take a cruise??? I do worry about the vaccine being universally effective, but can everyone take it? Can infants? Elderly with underlying health conditions? Cancer patients? etc... if there's exceptions those are at risk. There's just too many unknowns at this point, I honestly believe that until a working vaccine is discovered, the chances of cruises resuming might not be very good. Just so many questions.
Too many questions about something unknown. I've seen some studies with an old vaccine - TB. If that is effective, is it effective if you get it later in life? Is there enough to go around? Of course, that's just one of many different studies happening.

Best case scenario is to find a vaccine but also to find something that controls the symptoms, so if you get it, your body doesn't go crazy to fight it.

Apparently, a vaccine for a corona virus is easier than for the flu. It has spikes that attach to certain cells in the lungs. One vaccine being researched in the UK will build immunity with a harmless corona virus that has been deactivated and our bodies will then attack Covid 19 so it can’t take hold. I am not a doctor, but the explanation sounds promising and it might be ready in six months. As someone said, the H1N1 vaccine was rolled out in a short period of time. That said, Covid is a new vaccine and I am sure they will need to test it to make sure it’s safe and will work as they need it to.

Apparently, a vaccine for a corona virus is easier than for the flu. It has spikes that attach to certain cells in the lungs. One vaccine being researched in the UK will build immunity with a harmless corona virus that has been deactivated and our bodies will then attack Covid 19 so it can’t take hold. I am not a doctor, but the explanation sounds promising and it might be ready in six months. As someone said, the H1N1 vaccine was rolled out in a short period of time. That said, Covid is a new vaccine and I am sure they will need to test it to make sure it’s safe and will work as they need it to.

The current vaccine being tested in the US right now doesn't even use an inactivated virus. It injects the protein found in the coronavirus "spikes" and allows the body to attack it and form an immune response for a potential future encounter with the same spike protein (apparently, this protein is unique to SARS-COV2 and on it's own, isn't harmful). This is the best candidate for a safe vaccine right now, and can be manufactured and scaled up quickly if it proves effective.

Not necessarily. CA has a much more diffuse population compared to NY, Seattle and cities in Italy. We tend to live in 1 family houses and tend to use public transportation less frequently. We know that density really facilitates spread of the virus.

Also, given that CA was receiving 8,000 people PER DAY on direct flights from China for months before the ban was put in places, chances are excellent that the virus was in CA much earlier but did not have the same kind of impact because the population density (and therefore spread of the virus) is less.

Trevor Bedford has along explanation about how the virus wasn't here until January (and not widely spreading until February) on Twitter if you read back. It makes sense. https://twitter.com/trvrb?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

What will happen is what happens now - those people who can’t or won’t take the vaccine will likely be protected by herd immunity. Enough people will get the virus and become resistant or get the vaccine so that even if there’s an unvaccinated person on board the changes they come in contact with the virus will be low.

I am sure there will be a number of approaches. The safest one that works is the one I hope Canada chooses. It will be a race to see who can develop it first.
Sooner the better too! I just hope when it’s found, there won’t be political fights like with protective medical equipment.

Not many people use public transportation in California nor do they walk on crowded streets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter