Concerned by some things I've been reading...

Sorry if I offended anyone in my previous post(or this one). I'm not planning on addressing specific situations that you have because I don't want to pick on anyone here. We're all one big happy disney family(well sort of) and I don't want to hurt any of your feelings.

Now with that said here are some generalizations. Again these are just my opinions.

I really think that there is a difference between need and want with regards to handicapped parking. If all of the spaces are filled when you arrive at the mall do you...

1. Wait for a space to open up. (I've driven around the parking lot for 30 minutes at some busy times.)

2. Go home. (Yep I've done this before.)

3. Park in a non handicapped parking space.

If you chose 3 then you really don't need the handicaped parking space instead it's a want situation. Again my opinion on what is a need vs. what is a desire.

I feel WDW has it correct with regards to endurance situations. The amount of time standing in lines(the added distance between and handicapped/non handicapped parking space) is minor compared to the distance spent walking inside the parks(in the mall/grocery store/etc...) and you should consider using a wheelchair/ECV if you are in this situation. An extra 30 feet of walking isn't that big a deal if you are then going into a mall and walking 500-600 feet while shopping.

One thing I'd like to point out is not all states seem to have this problem I know that when I visit friends in Pittsburg there are fewer handicapped parking spaces available but they are usually empty. I suspect Pennsylvania has a different set of laws regarding handicapped permits and it's possible that the general attitude of the populace may be different in the Pittsburgh area then in the Baltimore area concerning who would apply for a permit.

Maryland is currently reevaluating thier procedure for issuing handicapped parking permits. I really do think it's gotten out of hand. Here are some quotes from a recently prepared report.

http://www.mva.state.md.us/Resources/DisabilityParkingTFR.pdf

"Another area where Maryland law has gone beyond the minimum Federal requirements is by allowing more physical ailments, including blindness, as disabilities making an individual eligible for the disabled parking privilege. The Federal regulations specify that a person’s mobility or disabilities that affect their ambulatory ability should be the determining factor in determining whether or not an individual is eligible for the disabled parking privilege. This
results in a larger pool of eligible applicants for disabled parking privileges than anticipated under the Federal regulatory scheme; however, Maryland follows the Federal criteria exactly with respect to total number of disabled parking spaces are required in a given parking lot."

Basically Maryland issues more parking permits then normal but has not increased the required number of parking spaces. So here in Maryland it has become much harder to find an open parking spot.

"The MVA estimates that roughly 30,000 of approximately 89,000 disabled parking plates currently on Maryland vehicles are issued to transporters."

This just applies to the plate not the placards. I feel that some of these 30,000 people do abuse the handicapped parking situation and it does add to the problem.

"MVA statistics provided to the Task Force indicate there are currently outstanding approximately 336,000 disabled parking placards for approximately
250,000 disabled parking privilege holders."

Again, this provides an easy method for abuse of the system.

This sort of blends with a topic I have been debating. I have been reading about how easily "typica" kids are lost at Disney. This scares me to death. My son is a wanderer. We have lost him in places like IKEA, skating rink and Kohls and it is terrorifying. You don't know what to do...I usually start calling his name progressively getting louder. I don't know why I do this 1. he is never going to respond 2. it lets everyone know that there is a lost child and his name I guess it is just instinct. What if he gets lost at Disney? I watch him like a hawk, but it only takes 2 seconds. Someone suggested this and I have mixed feelings...a label on his back (so he won't notice) that says I am autistic, if lost please call and then give our cell phone number or resort number. This person said to put his name as well, but I think that is very bad idea. What do you think? I hate literally labeling him. But, it could be critical if he is lost AND after reading some of these comments maybe others would "see" his hidden disability and not get huffy about the GAC.

About the handicapped parking situation. I am sure that is very frustrating. I know of a few parents of autistic children with handicapped stickers/plates. A lot of people would think they are abusing the system, but if the child is a runner or has a fit, it is sometimes not only difficult but dangerous to get him/her to the car, esp. if you have to park really far away.
I don't have a handicap plate for my son (although a few times, I think he would have been worthy). We have had tantrum situations in the middle of a parking lot (the lovely on the ground, screaming and rolling around sort), he has a run from me a couple of times but this is unusual. There have been a few times that I have had to carry him from a store (esp. if tantruming inside). My son weighs 65 pounds. That is difficult--at least for me. To carry a 65 pound screaming, thrashing, kicking child. Parents that deal with this on a regular basis do need permission to park close to an entrance.

BillSears posted while I was writing. I don't expect you to get into all the reasons people claim they need plates. Sorry if my post seems that I am ignoring you --just timing. I do feel sympathy for your situation. There is undeniably abuse of the system.

mlwear said:
BillSears posted while I was writing. I don't expect you to get into all the reasons people claim they need plates. Sorry if my post seems that I am ignoring you --just timing. I do feel sympathy for your situation. There is undeniably abuse of the system.

Trust me I don't mind being ignored. :) I'm just venting abit here. I do understand everyone is different and has thier own set of problems. We all see things from our own point of view. I was just posting my viewpoint as to why some people may be giving others a hard time concerning the degree of disability.

mlwear: maybe if you don't want to put a label on the back of his shirt saying he is autistic, perhaps you could just put that he is a "special needs boy" or even just "special boy". If he ever did get lost, I'm sure people would understand what this meant. IMHO, I would not put his name on the label.

About him wandering away, have you considered renting a WDW double stroller? They are pricey $15US/day, but we had one for DD8 and DS4 12/04 and it cut down our worries about DD8 wandering away. She has the tendency to talk to /hug strangers and was unable to due to being the stroller.

About wandering: have you thought about those velcro wrist straps (one to your wrist, one to his). We had those with us but only used it once (in the World of Disney store a few days before Christmas).

Suzy V.

Based on what I saw on our last trip I think most people that use the GAC's in a respectful way have no problems. I will try and explain what I mean. On our last trip there was a mother and duaghter using EVC's and it was obvious from what I saw they didn't use them on a regular basis based on the way that they were operating the scooters. I saw them several times the day I was at the park and they appeared to think the GAC card meant they were crowned princesses of the park for the day. They would fly up to the handicap entrances and flash their passes and expect everyone to get out of their way. On the other hand on several occasions I saw parents waiting patiently with children that had no visibe disabilities and I don't think many people even noticed.

Mike

riu girl said:
mlwear: maybe if you don't want to put a label on the back of his shirt saying he is autistic, perhaps you could just put that he is a "special needs boy" or even just "special boy". If he ever did get lost, I'm sure people would understand what this meant. IMHO, I would not put his name on the label.

About him wandering away, have you considered renting a WDW double stroller? They are pricey $15US/day, but we had one for DD8 and DS4 12/04 and it cut down our worries about DD8 wandering away. She has the tendency to talk to /hug strangers and was unable to due to being the stroller.

About wandering: have you thought about those velcro wrist straps (one to your wrist, one to his). We had those with us but only used it once (in the World of Disney store a few days before Christmas).

Suzy V.

I agree. No name.
I hadn't really thought about a stroller until reading some of the posts. He never would stay in one as a baby. Always climbing out. But, he does have endurance issues and we often end up carrying him around other parks, malls, etc. He is 7 years old and typical size for his age.

To the OP, I have gotten "the look" every once in a while while at Disney. DS is 15 has a severe seizure disorder, PDD, tons of orthopedic issues that require him to wear AFO braces up to his knees and a million other things wrong with him but he looks as healthy as a horse unless he is having a tough day. A bad day for him results in drooling which gets us looks too but they are usually of a different sort :rolleyes: . He is partially ambulatory(30ft or so)then needs the aid of a wheelchair. He rides in it between rides and right up to boarding but we usually leave the chair and let him board the ride regularly if he is up to it. I have two ways I generally respond depending on how irritated I am with the person. When they are staring, if I truly think they are just ignorant and not mean I tend to tell DS he must look extra handsome today and he will smile and the staring person will generally look anywhere else but at us ;) . If I think someone is just being mean as in the lady last trip at the Jungle Cruise who said "must be nice" as we entered the handicap entrance :earseek: . Mind you my son is IN HIS WHEELCHAIR at this time and the wait for the Jungle Cruise is about 10 min :confused3 . I asked my DH to push my son further along and I went up to the woman and told her I'd stand in the longest line the MK had to offer if she'd switch her kids legs for mine. She wouldn't even meet my eyes or look in my direction.

Get the GAC, you have a true need for it. Don't let anyone get you down at Disney or anywhere else. :grouphug: I always try to think if someone can be that rude they can't possibly know any children who suffer like ours do and that is a good thing. Not to be a Pollyanna or anything but that thought really helps me when someone is being ignorant. I think having something ready to say is a great idea, it will help you to not feel sad or upset, but ready and empowered and I hope you all have a wonderful vacation . :flower:

I was a little concerned about DD8 (then 7) in the stroller at WDW due to her size (about 70 pounds and tallest in her class). But her and DS4 fit in it fine. Before going to the parks, I told DD7 that we needed the stroller in order to be able to stay all day since WDW is so large etc and we had no problems with her wanting to get out/run away etc.

Without the stroller our time at WDW would not have been as enjoyable. I KNOW that DD7 would have tried to wander away/get distracted/try to talk to strangers etc. But with the stroller, her books, toys etc it MADE the difference in our vacation.
Suzy V.

I'm not sure if we will get one next time or not (12/06). The way she is growing, I'm not sure. We just spent two days at Marineland Ontario (14 days total over two days) and we didn't have one for her. But the park was EMPTY so we could watch her a lot closer. Also, the park is MUCH more spread out. It was much easier to keep track of her.

BillSears, I understand your frustrations of not being able to find a parking spot, especially if a scumbag that doesn't need a HP is using your spot. BUT... my mother often chose option #3, as I'm sure many have, because of her passion for shopping or her strong desire to get something she needed. She would then push herself to her absolute limit, sometimes beyond, and nearly collapse inside. So again, please don't judge. She was taken out of stores in ambulances a few times. In fact, she was shopping up until the day she died. And she wanted it that way.
I have also seen my father push himself. He has to stop every 20 feet or so to get his breath. Usually when we get inside a store, he finds a bench.
Just remember that for every loser that takes your spot, there a probably many many others just like my parents out there that truly NEED them.
Don't fall into the trap of playing "who's disability is worse".
But I DO understand how awful it must be when you can't find a spot. But don't judge a book by it's cover.

Several have suggested using the strollers at WDW and I want to say for those who have not been there these aren't really typical strollers and you do see a lot of older kids riding in them. I saw plenty of typical kids that were 6 or 7 and maybe some even older riding in them so older kids certainly would not look out of place in them.

Mike

Sorry to keep coming back to the parking thing. I apologize to the OP for taking this so off topic.

I ran in to a perfect example of abuses on my way home from work. I stopped at the supermarket. There were 4 handicapped parking spaces. 2 were occupied as I pulled up.

In one of these spaces a 30s something man got out of the car and walked in, he didn't seem to have any problem but I admit he may have a hidden disability.

The second spot had an elderly Lady sitting in the pasenger seat, before I had unloaded my wheelchair and entered the store a young 20s lady came out of the store and entered the car. I'm fairly certain this is an abuse situation since the placard seemed to be for the elderly lady and she wasn't going in the store.

The last spot was filled as I was getting out of my car. A young man with no tag or placard. He parked and then jogged inside. I saw him using the ATM machine inside as I entered the store.

As I exited the store the spaces were filled with different people.

A different elderly lady waiting in the passenger seat. Again I'm just assuming that the person inside was not disabled.

A car with no tag or placard. A young male sitting in it, I assume he's waiting for someone who went inside.

An elderly couple. Seemed to me to be a perfectly fine use of the handicapped placard.

So in my little trip to the store I ran into 2 abuses of the placard, one possible abuse, 2 total abuses of the handicapped parking spot and one use that seemed perfectly legitimate. BTW on entering and exiting the store the handicapped parking was full. I know there may be extenuating circumstances for these, but this is how I saw it.

On the parking situation- I used to frequently take a little girl with CP out with me because she would rather run errends with me than with her mom :rotfl2:. I never cared that I didnt have a placard because as long as I parked far enough away I could find two spots in the middle of nowhere. I needed two spots because between her stroller and transferring her, I needed the extra room. I would rather park in the back of the parking lot and have the space I need than try to find the closest spot. I didnt care that I had to walk the extra distance pushing the stroller and Chris didnt care of course. She was just "going along for the ride" as she says ;)

Thats just me and my strategy though princess:

Bill,
I can understand your frustration. I encounter your scenario of the elderly passenger waiting in the car and the young driver who then hops back in, frequently. I have two sons who are disabled and use wheelchairs. I can't get the lift down on my van without the van accessible spot. I have tried parking farther out and taking two spots. But that backfired on me when a car squeezed into the other spot and I had to back out to get the lift down. There have been times we just went home. Sometimes we will arrive somewhere and there will be a handicap spot, but not a van accessible one. If I am going to the doctor, etc with them and there isn't a spot, I use my cell phone to call and have someone from the office meet me to help get the kids out while I block the parking lane to let down the lift. And don't get me started on the people who park on the lines blocking me from getting the lift down! This recently happened to me at Sam's Club. Finally a guy came out carrying flowers and said he was just in the store for a minute--ugh! I think he was embarassed though since I was standing next to his truck with two kids in wheelchairs.
I do try not to judge someone else's situation, but I can certainly understand the frustration about accessible parking.
Marie

mlwear said:
This sort of blends with a topic I have been debating. I have been reading about how easily "typica" kids are lost at Disney. This scares me to death. My son is a wanderer. We have lost him in places like IKEA, skating rink and Kohls and it is terrorifying. You don't know what to do...I usually start calling his name progressively getting louder. I don't know why I do this 1. he is never going to respond 2. it lets everyone know that there is a lost child and his name I guess it is just instinct. What if he gets lost at Disney? I watch him like a hawk, but it only takes 2 seconds. Someone suggested this and I have mixed feelings...a label on his back (so he won't notice) that says I am autistic, if lost please call and then give our cell phone number or resort number. This person said to put his name as well, but I think that is very bad idea. What do you think? I hate literally labeling him. But, it could be critical if he is lost AND after reading some of these comments maybe others would "see" his hidden disability and not get huffy about the GAC.

About the handicapped parking situation. I am sure that is very frustrating. I know of a few parents of autistic children with handicapped stickers/plates. A lot of people would think they are abusing the system, but if the child is a runner or has a fit, it is sometimes not only difficult but dangerous to get him/her to the car, esp. if you have to park really far away.
I don't have a handicap plate for my son (although a few times, I think he would have been worthy). We have had tantrum situations in the middle of a parking lot (the lovely on the ground, screaming and rolling around sort), he has a run from me a couple of times but this is unusual. There have been a few times that I have had to carry him from a store (esp. if tantruming inside). My son weighs 65 pounds. That is difficult--at least for me. To carry a 65 pound screaming, thrashing, kicking child. Parents that deal with this on a regular basis do need permission to park close to an entrance.

Hi,
We really worried about our autistic son being lost, since he didn't really start speaking until last year, and his speech is still limited. What we did was get a medic alert bracelet. It indicates his condition and his speech delay. You can take the medic tag and attach it to his shoes, since he probably won't wear a bracelet.

And I can totally relate to carrying a kicking, screaming son to a far off parking space! I no longer go shopping without DH, since I can't control my son anymore. He's already almost as tall as I am, and he's only 6 years old. I wouldn't get a parking placard though. It's just something we have to deal with. :earseek:

I have three Sheriff's Office non-emergency numbers in my cell phone. Orange County, where most of WDW is; Polk County, where I live; and Osceola County which is between the two and includes part of WDW. If I pull up and park and see a car with no indication of handicap legal (neither plate nor visible placard) I will call the correct Sheriff's office. Generally the violation is a $250 fine. Usually the responders are very happy to give out such tickets; one told me if not otherwise busy she will cruise parking lots and check all vehicles parked in handicap spaces. One time I saw a car parked in the stiped are between two handicap paces, making it impossible to open doors fully on either side. When we left the store about 1/2 hour later the car was also leaving, hooked to a police department tow truck.

That's a good idea about the bracelet. We do have one but when we sent it off to get resized he refuses to wear it anymore. It has the medic alert phone number on it and his ID number. All contact numbers are listed in his file.
I'm with you on not getting the handicap placard. Our incidents are few and far between. Usually if I can't deal with him in the parking lot then I won't be able to handle him in the store and we need to go home. But, I certainly can understand that some have a much more difficult time than I and with more frequency. If they think they need a plate, I think they should have it.
There should be stiff fines for parking in handicapped parking spaces. Personally, I could never imagine doing it under any circumstance.
Seems like BillSears saw some blatant abuse today. Sad that there were so many incidents in such a short period of time.

I was gone this weekend, so I missed a lot of this discussion. I just wanted to mention that we have gotten some of those "looks" despite DD using a wheelchair, so she does have a visible disability.
Some of the same people who give looks and make comments are the people in the regular line making snide comments about the people in the Fastpass line. They don't understand how people got into the fastpass line, so they figure they must have "cheated" somehow to get there.

SueM in MN said:
I was gone this weekend, so I missed a lot of this discussion. I just wanted to mention that we have gotten some of those "looks" despite DD using a wheelchair, so she does have a visible disability.

I think this is what is concerning me and even the broader topics touched on in this thread have me thinking the same thing...if people with visible disabilities are treated this way I tend to think the responses might be a bit harsher when they see my perfectly healthy looking toddler skipping around.

I really appreciate the replies...especially what you said Densgirl. I know I should not let this bother me because it's the people who judge that have the problem but I am super-sensitive in general and even moreso when it comes to this.

Some of the replies people have mentioned are awesome and I may try to think of a few of my own in advance to prepare myself; I just really hope I don't have to use them...

Mike, thanks for your tip on the stroller size! Both of my children have epilepsy. my dd is 7, I was truly concerned for her, but now feel relief knowing she can rest too! :sunny:

Sorry but I can not do the quotes thing yet. To the lady who was thinking about a sign on the back of her autistic child. Last year when we were at Disney we saw a boy of about 12 with a label on his back explaining that he was autistic and unable to speak. They also had a cellphone number. The label made me more carefull about the way we acted in line behind this child. We made sure that we gave him enogh room in line and tried not to make too much noise. We noticed him several times over the next few days and the label appeared to be a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter