• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Concern about transportation at POR

Jbausch

Mouseketeer
I am planning a dream trip for my twin's 8 year old birthday Thanksgiving 2015. :banana:I am allowing each of my kids to pick their 'Dream' resort to stay at. My son pick Contemp and my daughter wants the Royal Room at POR. :goodvibes
The last two times we have been down we drove. This time we are flying. I plan on checking in to POR on the 24 th (Tuesday - Saturday)
As the crowds get larger for Thanksgiving:scared1: I am planning on doing extra activities - pirate hunt, Mad Tea Party, pony rides etc - but, we will still be going to the parks for a few hours. :cool1:I am a single parent going alone with my kids. How long are the waits for buses to the parks and back from the parks? Also how long are the rides? (My daughter got motion sickness on the busses last time - not on the rides...odd I know:confused3) Also, how full are the buses? (it is hard trying to help your kids stand up when you have two and yourself!!!:worship:)
I have heard that POR has some serious issues with the buses. We used the buses at AKL and had no problems.:)
I am trying to decided if we should book a resort closer to a park.? I plan on seeing all the firework shows during the first park of our trip. (Using the monorail to our advantage)

Honestly around Thanksgiving I would expect most of the resort buses to be pretty full most of the day.

I will be staying there for a week (starting Tuesday) I will post a report on this thread about the busses when we leave. I know it's not thanksgiving but hopefully it will help a little. We have never stayed there but I've heard both good and bad about the busses. I will let you know.

Bus intervals are about 20 minutes. Port Orleans is pretty centrally located except regarding Animal Kingdom. You'd have to Google-map it for exact distances. If a bus looks too full for seats, you can always step aside and wait for the next bus.

I have never had any issues with buses at any resort I have stayed at. Bus intervals are approx. every 20 minutes. More frequently before Park opening and after Park close. If a bus fills before it's last stop, another is called and should arrive within minutes. That said, I would think that they will be operating at their max limits due to the holiday crowds. Do not expect to see partly filled buses except in mid-afternoon. It's safe to say that all resort buses will be this way.

We do exactly what kaytieeldr mentioned, when we get to the front of the line and the bus is standing room only, we step aside and wait for the next one. We have rarely waited more than 10 minutes for the 2nd bus. We have learned not to let the few times that we had bad Disney transportation bother us. It is nothing we can control and after seeing so many parent melt downs because of it, we realize that is something that should not ruin our day or mood. Here is our tip:) When we are in line we talk about what was our favorite ride or character etc. and you will be surprised how the time seems to go by faster. Have a great time.

Bus intervals are about 20 minutes. Port Orleans is pretty centrally located except regarding Animal Kingdom. You'd have to Google-map it for exact distances. If a bus looks too full for seats, you can always step aside and wait for the next bus.

Wow when I was in the same situation as OP the bus driver told me I had no choice but to get on and stand with my young kids. I am still angry about it to this day.

We do exactly what kaytieeldr mentioned, when we get to the front of the line and the bus is standing room only, we step aside and wait for the next one. We have rarely waited more than 10 minutes for the 2nd bus. We have learned not to let the few times that we had bad Disney transportation bother us. It is nothing we can control and after seeing so many parent melt downs because of it, we realize that is something that should not ruin our day or mood. Here is our tip:) When we are in line we talk about what was our favorite ride or character etc. and you will be surprised how the time seems to go by faster. Have a great time.

I felt that POR had consistently bad transportation. Our POR transportation line from MK was left with no bus for over 90 minutes right after close one night. Not a bus came. People were calling from cell phones - it was so upsetting.

When one bus finally did come it packed in as many as it could. Then the next group (including us) waited another 45 minutes for a second bus. We didn't back to the room until after 2:30AM because our bus driver did not usually drive to POR and dropped us and a bunch of other guests off at the other end of the resort - the wrong drop. Kids were in tears.

Wow when I was in the same situation as OP the bus driver told me I had no choice but to get on and stand with my young kids. I am still angry about it to this day.

I don't understand this at all. Of course you have a choice. Unless it is the last bus of the day, there is always another bus in a few minutes. No one is going to force you on any bus. What are they going to do - pick you up and carry you kicking and screaming? No, you simply, but firmly tell them that you will wait.

The bus trans. At por are a hot mess! Been coming to Disney for 20 years..stayed por before and have to say Hot Mess! The 20 min. Rule is a standard reply..that's it. We have missed fastpass ressies...late for adr's...heck last night got at bus stop and got off at magic kingdom 57 minutes later! Dropped off at far corner at magic kingdom, so after the long walk and wait in line to get in..it was 1.5 hours from the time we got to bus stop...that's just the latest example...again..hot mess!

We loved the RR at POR, but bus transportation was definitely the worst part of our stay. Once waited on a bus to AK one morning (arrived at bus depot at 7:45 for park opening at 9, bus came at 8:55) over an hour. No bus at all. Really surprised since it should have been there for park opening. Another couple there missed their breakfast reservation. Lots of buses to other parks, but no AK. Each bus driver kept saying "AK is the next bus !"

Buses slammed at park close, too. Two nights we had to wait over 25 minutes just to get on, then had to stand with a young child on the way back to hotel. Tired park goers don't often offer up their seats for little ones, in our experience.

Still loved POR. Just prepare for a hassle with the buses. Bring your patience.

While many have had issues I have never had big problems. That aside to help you out - when staying in the Royal Rooms we walked over the bridge and caught the bus at the South Depot (by the Main Building). It was a much easier walk than to our area bus stop and it was the first stop to pick up (unless it goes to FQ first but holidays I would imagine they have their own bus). We always got a seat. Sit in front to avoid sickness. If you go to your area bus stop you will be the last stop and you will be standing.

PS You'll love the Royal Room! princess:

We stayed at POR in Feb 2013; part of President's day week. The buses were crowded during peak times. The main bus stop is bit unorganized; after a few days they had a cast member there who looked like he was tracking arrivals. Our royal room was in Parterre place, which was a 5-7 minute walk to POFQ. After a couple of days we realized it was quicker to take the POFQ bus back from the parks, and walk to our room from POFQ.:thumbsup2
Since you're going at a busy time of year, you should expect crowds everywhere, not just at the bus stops. It sounds like you're planning a lot of activities, just have some patience (not implying you don't;)) and realize that maybe you won't be able to do some of the things you want to do. (Isn't that what keeps a lot of us coming back to Disney)? We spent one day at POR just exploring the resort (boating, cycling, pool) and just relaxing and then had dinner at DTD . . . it is one of my most memorable days of our trip.:)
Enjoy!!

The bus trans. At por are a hot mess! Been coming to Disney for 20 years..stayed por before and have to say Hot Mess! The 20 min. Rule is a standard reply..that's it. We have missed fastpass ressies...late for adr's...heck last night got at bus stop and got off at magic kingdom 57 minutes later! Dropped off at far corner at magic kingdom, so after the long walk and wait in line to get in..it was 1.5 hours from the time we got to bus stop...that's just the latest example...again..hot mess!

If you have been going to WDW for 20 years hopefully you are showing up to the bus stop 90 minutes before your ADR. That is what Disney tells you, and sometimes it is necessary.

I also don't think you can put any blame on the buses for having a long walk to the gates of the Magic Kingdom. The bus stops are where they are, not every resort can be up close. And it doesn't meant the bus service is a hot mess. It means they are unlucky and have one of the furthest out stops.

Transportation at ANY WDW resort can be ANYTHING at ANY time. There is no such thing as a resort with "good" or "bad" bus service. I've been a resort when transportation was great only to return in a few months when it was less than stellar.

If you are setting up your family for a "dream" or "perfect" trip, it WILL fall short as life is not perfect. Crowds, weather, illness--ANYTHING can derail a fantasy goal of perfection.

Instead, go prepared to ENJOY YOUR FAMILY. Life is short. If you are waiting for buses, play games! Bring a deck of cards, play hangman, use sidewalk chalk, try cats cradle or <gasp!> have an inexpensive, used BOOK for everyone (this is what I do!). Life is full of things being less-than-expected and having to wait and wait and wait...... You will wait for a bus, you will wait on a bus, you will wait in line to get into a park and you will wait at each and every attraction.

Yes! There are areas where WDW needs to improve bus transportation--particularly to DTD during the day. If you are especially stressed, you may want to consider renting a car.

Transportation at ANY WDW resort can be ANYTHING at ANY time. There is no such thing as a resort with "good" or "bad" bus service. I've been a resort when transportation was great only to return in a few months when it was less than stellar.

If you are setting up your family for a "dream" or "perfect" trip, it WILL fall short as life is not perfect. Crowds, weather, illness--ANYTHING can derail a fantasy goal of perfection.

Instead, go prepared to ENJOY YOUR FAMILY. Life is short. If you are waiting for buses, play games! Bring a deck of cards, play hangman, use sidewalk chalk, try cats cradle or <gasp!> have an inexpensive, used BOOK for everyone (this is what I do!). Life is full of things being less-than-expected and having to wait and wait and wait...... You will wait for a bus, you will wait on a bus, you will wait in line to get into a park and you will wait at each and every attraction.

Yes! There are areas where WDW needs to improve bus transportation--particularly to DTD during the day. If you are especially stressed, you may want to consider renting a car.

This! Also if we are in any kind of hurry and just don't want the stress we just get a cab.

What JennyDrake said. It isn't as if each resort has its own fleet of buses that are under its control. All buses are dispatched from a central point, and the quality of bus service at any resort is variable at any time. So it isn't really correct to say that a particular resort has good or bad bus service - they can't control it. As many people will say that bus service at a particular resort was good as will say it was poor. It just depends on their individual experiences. There are factors like how far that resort is from whatever park you're going to, or how many internal bus stops the resort has, or whether it shares bus service with another resort. Those are factors you can consider when choosing where to stay. Otherwise, it's pretty much up to chance. As a general rule, I've found Disney bus service to be pretty good, considering it's basically mass transit. It's always a good idea to allow way more time than you think you'll need, just to deal with the unexpected and so that you aren't stressed about being late.

If you have been going to WDW for 20 years hopefully you are showing up to the bus stop 90 minutes before your ADR. That is what Disney tells you, and sometimes it is necessary.

I also don't think you can put any blame on the buses for having a long walk to the gates of the Magic Kingdom. The bus stops are where they are, not every resort can be up close. And it doesn't meant the bus service is a hot mess. It means they are unlucky and have one of the furthest out stops.

Oh yes..leaving plenty early...as a matter of fact this morning got to bus stop 2 hours before adr...and fyi max..so did everybody else at por this morning...at least it looked like it..got on at west and when we left main bld. Still had 60 sum people at that bus stop alone....that my friend is poor transportation

Oh yes..leaving plenty early...as a matter of fact this morning got to bus stop 2 hours before adr...and fyi max..so did everybody else at por this morning...at least it looked like it..got on at west and when we left main bld. Still had 60 sum people at that bus stop alone....that my friend is poor transportation

You are making a lot of assumptions here, First off you are assuming the people ahead of you at the bus stop were waiting long before you. You don't really know that. Second you assume the people left behind you in the bus queue had to wait a long time for another bus. You don't know that either.

I just returned yesterday and at one point saw no less than 4 buses show up one right after the other to pick up people heading to MK. It wasn't at POR but it goes to show you have absolutely no idea how long those people who didn't fit on to your bus had to wait. No idea at all. Nothing you posted above shows poor transportation...tina. Just a bunch of conclusion jumping. Maybe helped along by the fact you are not happy at POR to begin with?

To increase your chance of getting a seat on the buses from PO-R to the parks; remember that buses from &to EPCOT, Studios, & AK stop first at the South Depot, then go to the West,North and East depots and then on to the Parks. Magic Kingdom buses however, stop first at the West depot, then on to the North and East before going to the "Main" South depot. and then to the Park.

So depending on which Park you want to visit, you may consider changing where you get on the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter