Concern about potential resale restrictions in coming years for older resorts

roselark

DIS Veteran
I am ready to add on! I am having a very hard time trying to decide how and where.

I am a current, direct owner at AKV. I want to add on in the EPCOT/Skyliner area.

My top choice would be to get a resale contract for Boardwalk, but I am concerned. It currently has an end date of 2042. I am betting that DVC will offer a contract extension, much like they did at OKW years ago, however, with the restrictions they have been adding to resale over the years, I am worried that this might not be available to resale owners. I don't want to spend this kind of $ to only have it 19 years.

My next choice would be direct with Riviera. I do not like the Riviera resale restrictions, so I really don't think I want resale. I want to be able to use my points anywhere.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

I definitely wouldn’t count on them offering an extension for Boardwalk. If I were advising them, I’d let those expire and then sell them again at $200++ per point. I’d bet that’s what they ultimately do.

We are also AKV direct owners since 2007. I’m in ROFR right now for SSR - figured we can still use our direct points from AKV for any resort, happy to stay at SSR if needed and resale there is about half the current direct price. Love Riviera but I just can’t wrap my head around $200 per point.

I definitely wouldn’t count on them offering an extension for Boardwalk. If I were advising them, I’d let those expire and then sell them again at $200++ per point. I’d bet that’s what they ultimately do.

We are also AKV direct owners since 2007. I’m in ROFR right now for SSR - figured we can still use our direct points from AKV for any resort, happy to stay at SSR if needed and resale there is about half the current direct price. Love Riviera but I just can’t wrap my head around $200 per point.
Thanks! I probably should assume no extension at all.

i would really be happy owning just about anywhere, but I really want the 11 month window in the Epcot area. It is too hard to get a studio at 7 months.

I am ready to add on! I am having a very hard time trying to decide how and where.

I am a current, direct owner at AKV. I want to add on in the EPCOT/Skyliner area.

My top choice would be to get a resale contract for Boardwalk, but I am concerned. It currently has an end date of 2042. I am betting that DVC will offer a contract extension, much like they did at OKW years ago, however, with the restrictions they have been adding to resale over the years, I am worried that this might not be available to resale owners. I don't want to spend this kind of $ to only have it 19 years.

My next choice would be direct with Riviera. I do not like the Riviera resale restrictions, so I really don't think I want resale. I want to be able to use my points anywhere.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.
I wouldn’t count on Disney ever doing an extension again because of the OKW debacle.

Everything else you said makes to me…. unless you really want walking distance to Epcot instead of the Skyliner

If they were going to offer an extension, it will be giving those who own OKW a change to extend again.

But, it didn’t go well for them and IMO, the jury is still out on what happens with contracts owned by people who never paid and never signed the quit claim.

For the other 2042, it’s a chance to bring them back new, with restrictions , and more importantly point charts that are more reflective of todays cash rates for deluxe resorts.

It’s a tough choice for going resale in this case, but have you thought about points direct? Or to get some BWV and some other points to take you beyond 2042?

You’d get the 18 years of use at BWV and then have access to the other resorts still elgible to resale with that other resort.

Lol IMO there's like a .1% chance an extension is offered as everyone else has stated. The whole OKW extension was a giant disaster. They know BCV and BWV are in prime locations and will be able to significantly increase the cost of the point charts and sell those new contracts for what I imagine will be 3-400 dollars per point in 2042. If you really want BWV/BCV then buy it, if you want a longer contract on a Epcot/HS location resort then really RIV is the only way to go currently.

There won't be an extension. If Disney could undo OKW, it would. You either buy expensive BW points with 19 year left, buy locked down RIV points, or you wait.

I'd never buy RIV because of the resale restrictions, but it's not my money. As time goes on, I think RIV resale could slip more and more. As a buyer, maybe that would be a good thing?

Or wait. I can see the next project being a cheap flip after spending so many resources on Poly2. An obvious contender is Yacht Club, with an aging building that needs refurb anyway and lot of rooms with sad views. If you're willing to wait for Yacht Club, it might tick all your boxes, or it might never happen at all.

Cheapest option is RR resale if you can be happy with just one resort - lots of people only want the Epcot area and unless your over 65 BC and BW will not cover your retirement.

I did a combination of RR direct ( to get the blue card) and BW resale so I get my cheap September week for 19 years. I will pick up resale points at RR to replace the expiring BW.

I'm certain there will be an extension. It will be for 50 years at $300+ per point. Some people might call it "expiring and selling a brand new resort," but same difference, right? There is zero incentive for Disney to offer any sort of discount at expiration.
I’d imagine the only thing they may offer would be if you’re a current BWV/BCV owner you can give them your money a little earlier before everyone else so that way there’s no gaps between payments for the resort 😂😂

Thanks! I probably should assume no extension at all.

i would really be happy owning just about anywhere, but I really want the 11 month window in the Epcot area. It is too hard to get a studio at 7 months.
The current patterns at the two Epcot resorts for getting studios at 7-months out are as follows: All studios at both are usually gone before 7-months out during the high demand season: late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. During the more moderate mid-Jan to mid-Sep period, BWV standard and boardwalk view studios are usually filled before 7-months out. BWV pool/garden view studios are open about 50% of the time, BCV studios only about 20% of the time.

Also, if considering buying BWV, be aware that standard studios usually fill year-round within moments after the 11-month reservation opens at 8 a.m. -- the winners are those whose computers communicate with Disney's right at 8 a.m. faster than the many others who fail. Boardwalk view studios have the same issue during that high demand season. BCV rarely has an 11-month issue -- in the past it has sometimes appeared for time in the first two weeks of Dec and time around NYE but that has not occurred every year.

I want to be able to use my points anywhere.
Not an option anymore unless you buy direct.

RIV is only at RIV and others can't stay at RIV. Not sure if the new DL resort has shown if there is restrictions or not.

Essentially when you get to 2042 probably half or more of the resorts will have resale restrictions at that point.

betting that DVC will offer a contract extension

Their extension will be a discount on a new 50 year contract not like that of OKW. They will likely say you own BWV today so instead of paying $300 you get a $275 price point if you buy now before the resort expires. Your new contract won't go into effect until the expiration in 2042 though.

Not an option anymore unless you buy direct.

RIV is only at RIV and others can't stay at RIV. Not sure if the new DL resort has shown if there is restrictions or not.

Essentially when you get to 2042 probably half or more of the resorts will have resale restrictions at that point.

VDH has restrictions

Thank you so much for the comments everyone!

I am going to start looking at SSR resale. I could get more bang for the buck and maybe occasionally get lucky and get a 1BR at BWV. :)
You’ll definitely get some 1BRs at BWV if you go during the summer. You can’t go wrong with SSR :)

To be honest, no one knows what Disney will or will not do with the expiring resorts in 2042.

We do have a chunk load of resorts that will expire all at the same time.

That also means that a big chunk of points will disappear from the system - how that will effect the eco balance of the entire DVC system - no one knows, but I bet DVC is running a lot of simulations and "what ifs" to try to figure it out.

DVC is able to see which home resort points are being used for every reservation - Personally I always use my SSR and VGF points at BWV and when BWV is gone I would need to use those points somewhere else putting extra strain on those resorts leaving less availability for other members.

If only 10% of the members are using their points as I do, at 2042 resorts then it might not be that big of a deal but if 50% of the total amount of points used to book 2042 resorts are "foreign" points then we will start to see less availability elsewhere because people can't move to RIV or other restricted resorts.

But for now all we can do is speculate and in maybe like 15 years we know more.

To be honest, no one knows what Disney will or will not do with the expiring resorts in 2042.

We do have a chunk load of resorts that will expire all at the same time.

That also means that a big chunk of points will disappear from the system - how that will effect the eco balance of the entire DVC system - no one knows, but I bet DVC is running a lot of simulations and "what ifs" to try to figure it out.

DVC is able to see which home resort points are being used for every reservation - Personally I always use my SSR and VGF points at BWV and when BWV is gone I would need to use those points somewhere else putting extra strain on those resorts leaving less availability for other members.

If only 10% of the members are using their points as I do, at 2042 resorts then it might not be that big of a deal but if 50% of the total amount of points used to book 2042 resorts are "foreign" points then we will start to see less availability elsewhere because people can't move to RIV or other restricted resorts.

But for now all we can do is speculate and in maybe like 15 years we know more.

If 50% of the total amount of points used at 2042 resorts are foreign, doesn’t it mean that 50% of the “home” points are used at non 2042 resorts? I’m relatively new to this. So correct me if I am wrong.

In this situation, I guess, after 2042 points are gone, the availability before 7-months window at non 2042 resorts will reduce, but there might not be as much a demand for them after 7-months window. Or CCV, VGF, or whatever resorts will become the new 2042 resorts that everyone would want to stay at that are hard to book at 7-months. But there are resorts like SSR that will still be mostly available at 7-months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter