Completely clueless on Scooter/DAS Tips and Advise Please!

calismic

DIS Veteran
My apologies if there is a section for this, please do not scold me if there is I will be happy to delete the thread. I am a complete newbie when it comes to Disney with Disabilities. My mom will be traveling with us to Disney for the first time. She has significant disc damage in her back and while she can walk, it is limited to very brief periods of time. Her biggest problem is standing in place. If she needs to stand in one area for any given amount of time her legs WILL go numb. She was told by her physician to ask for a DAS pass, and then thoroughly eviscerated on Facebook when seeking advise on her own. Now she is really nervous about the trip and I want to make this as magical as possible for her. It's been repeated over and over "DAS is not for mobility", so please educate me on the best way to transfer her to and from rides. She has her scooter rental all setup and is quite familiar with using it. Are all lines fully scooter accessible, IE can she ride them directly to the loading stations? She should be fine with transferring, its primarily the wait that she is really concerned with. Even 5 minutes at a slow move will be too much for her if she's walking. Are there rides that we should avoid that will not allow her ECV through the line? Are there any exceptions to these rides? (IE can we ask a cast member for additional assistance?) Please point me in the direction for the best information, the last thing I want is for her to be stressed out. This trip is meant for her to make memories with her grandchildren, not be berated for being disabled. Thank you! (Sorry I am defensive on this, Facebook is a cesspool and has just left me angry with the human race)

I don't have a complete answer. But you are in the right place.

My DH uses a wheelchair and most of the rides we go on , we can take the wheelchair pretty close. There are some where they ask if you can walk a "short" distance. Sometime that might not be so short. Bring a folding cane to help. I have to stay we tend not to go on a number of the "big" rides, so I can't answer for everything. Some people do need to get right up to the ride to transfer and not walk at all or a matter of a few steps. I really don't know about those rides details.

There are several people here who will be able to tell you lots of details. We are like you , still finding our way for ways to make trips easier.

Most rides she will be able to take the scooter all the way through the line, and most will allow her to bring it as close to loading as she needs to and a cast member will move it to the exit while she is on the ride. Lines that can't take scooters will loan you a wheelchair to push her through-Pirates comes to mind for that-and others will give you a return time like you had a DAS so that you can go through the fastpass lightning pass entrance. Disney is really good with mobility issues. I have done it for years and never had a DAS until this last trip when a castmember noticed I was having other issues, issued me a return time, and sent me to Guest Services to get one. Tell your Mom to relax, Disney will do what they can to make it magical!

In a sense, Facebook is right - the DAS accommodation is not for mobility, and so she will not be issued one solely for mobility related needs.

Instead, as a previous poster mentioned, she will be able to use the chair through almost all lines, and for those lines she can't, DAS-like accommodations like receiving a return time for the fast lane or the alternate entrances are made if you ask the CM at the front (there are only a few rides in each park where this is necessary).

My apologies if there is a section for this, please do not scold me if there is I will be happy to delete the thread. I am a complete newbie when it comes to Disney with Disabilities. My mom will be traveling with us to Disney for the first time. She has significant disc damage in her back and while she can walk, it is limited to very brief periods of time. Her biggest problem is standing in place. If she needs to stand in one area for any given amount of time her legs WILL go numb. She was told by her physician to ask for a DAS pass, and then thoroughly eviscerated on Facebook when seeking advise on her own. Now she is really nervous about the trip and I want to make this as magical as possible for her. It's been repeated over and over "DAS is not for mobility", so please educate me on the best way to transfer her to and from rides. She has her scooter rental all setup and is quite familiar with using it. Are all lines fully scooter accessible, IE can she ride them directly to the loading stations? She should be fine with transferring, its primarily the wait that she is really concerned with. Even 5 minutes at a slow move will be too much for her if she's walking. Are there rides that we should avoid that will not allow her ECV through the line? Are there any exceptions to these rides? (IE can we ask a cast member for additional assistance?) Please point me in the direction for the best information, the last thing I want is for her to be stressed out. This trip is meant for her to make memories with her grandchildren, not be berated for being disabled. Thank you! (Sorry I am defensive on this, Facebook is a cesspool and has just left me angry with the human race)
most rides she can ride to the loading area. there are a few rides Pirates being one that she will have to transfer to a wheelchair provided at the ride.. there are some rides that she and your party will be pulled out and sent a different way to avoid stairs. best advice I can give is ask the CM at beginning of line how ECVs are handled there. may be new to you but will not be new for the CMs. CMs can not help with getting her in and out of rides as such but might have advice to help you guys help her. take lots of pictures and enjoy your trip

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. Having been to Disney a billion times you'd think I'd pay attention to things like ride entrances and exits, but when you're mobile you take it for granted. I'm sure I will have a whole new appreciation after this trip!

This the best advice I have for getting her EVC close to the ride car.

When the cast member asks if she can walk a short distance, the answer is "NO. I can transfer but I need to get as close to the ride vehicle as possible." When the cast member asks about walking and she says yes, the distance and the amount of standing may be short to them but more than she can handle. Therefore, the correct answer is No, but I can transfer when I get close.

When the cast member asks if she can walk a short distance, the answer is "NO. I can transfer but I need to get as close to the ride vehicle as possible." When the cast member asks about walking and she says yes, the distance and the amount of standing may be short to them but more than she can handle. Therefore, the correct answer is No, but I can transfer when I get close.
also some rides with moving ramps can be slowed way down be sure to ask loading CM if you are not asked

Tell your mom to ignore the know-it-alls on FB or social media in general. Most of those sites are places for people to be rude or make obnoxious comments to others...............such nonsense. There are many people at Disney who use devices to assist with mobility, she certainly won't be the only one doing that. No one at Disney will challenge why she needs assistance.

I can only think of a few rides where you can't ride your scooter thru the line, and they're all at MK-that I remember. Pirates, Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Magic Carpets are all I remember.

I can only think of a few rides where you can't ride your scooter thru the line, and they're all at MK-that I remember. Pirates, Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Magic Carpets are all I remember.

Also Space Mountain. At HS you have to take a wheelchair through for RnRC and Tower. As far as I can remember that's it. I was there in April with a scooter due to a foot injury but of course I can't remember that far back lol :)

yes , yes and yes. Great advise.

My DH uses a rollator or a cane or sometimes like from room to room , he needs nothing. At HM, CM asked if he can walk a short distance, he said yes. I said do you want your cane, no it will be ok.........12 miles later, after we were walking so slow the CM doubled back to check on us.......I said why didn't you want your cane. "I have no idea it would be so long".

Disney has a website "Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities" which will provide a lot of good information: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

Including:
- Attraction Access Categories, which is a listing of which "Walt Disney World attractions offer access for Guests with mobility disabilities in the following categories:
Must transfer from wheelchair/ECV to ride vehicle
Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair
Must transfer from ECV to wheelchair, and from wheelchair to ride vehicle
"
As well as "May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV" and "Must Be Ambulatory"

The page also has info about "Wheelchair and ECV Accessibility with Walt Disney World Transportation", "Wheelchair and ECV Rental", "Parking".

Finally, each of the park maps has notations on them for the accessibility of the rides:

MK: https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...d/destinations/magic-kingdom/MK_080121_EN.pdf

Epcot: https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...standard-assets/disney-world/EC_070621_EN.pdf

DHS: https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...tandard-assets/disney-world/DHS_070621_EN.pdf

AK: https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.disney.com/dam/disney-world/destinations/DAK_071821_EN.pdf

The PeopleMover cannot be accessed by an ECV or a wheelchair. You have to go up the moving walkway and wheeled devices are not permitted. Peter Pan cannot usually be stopped for boarding/unloading. Best bet is first in the morning or last ride of the day.

I always like to helpfully note (haha!) that if she likes to shop, the best time to hit the shops in the ECV is also in the morning. Doesn't have to be first thing but the shops get more and more crowded as the day goes on and then it's very hard to maneuver and look at stuff with the ECV. As you can tell I like to shop when I'm there! I'm sorry she had such a bad experience on FB. Many people think they may also need a DAS if they need a WC or ECV not realizing how mainstreamed most of the lines are and how it all works - and of course how would they know unless they ask? :)

I always like to helpfully note (haha!) that if she likes to shop, the best time to hit the shops in the ECV is also in the morning. Doesn't have to be first thing but the shops get more and more crowded as the day goes on and then it's very hard to maneuver and look at stuff with the ECV. As you can tell I like to shop when I'm there! I'm sorry she had such a bad experience on FB. Many people think they may also need a DAS if they need a WC or ECV not realizing how mainstreamed most of the lines are and how it all works - and of course how would they know unless they ask? :)
She is a shopaholic so this is an excellent tip! =)

Also Space Mountain. At HS you have to take a wheelchair through for RnRC and Tower. As far as I can remember that's it. I was there in April with a scooter due to a foot injury but of course I can't remember that far back lol :)

Probably best to avoid Space Mountain entirely if you have back issues. That one hurts me sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter