completed t-shirts - so pleased!

Rachandgarry

DIS Veteran
Well, I'm pleased to say that I have finally made some t-shirts! :cheer2: This is the first time I have ever tried using iron-on transfers and I was absolutely petrified of it for some reason. Turns out there was no need to be at all, it was really easy! For anyone who isn't experienced, I'll write a brief summary of how it worked:

I found and made the graphics I wanted to use, from the various DISigners threads, photobuckets and 4shared files, then I ordered some of the transfer paper from AmyMickey. This arrived, and I was surprised - I don't really know what I had expected, but it was just -nice simple paper, lol! It wasn't hard or thick or anything, it just felt like normal label paper. I put a sheet in the printer, then printed my graphic out using Microsoft Word, to size it etc. One thing to note if you are from the UK - the paper is the US size letter paper which is just slightly different than A4. It chopped the bottom of one of my graphics off (I had two on a page), and then I realised why. I changed the page size in MS Word - Page Setup and it automatically moved the second graphic to a new page, indicating that both wouldn't fit on just one page, which was fine.

I followed Amy's instructions on how to actually do the transfer (which I won't post in case they are different for each type of paper) and literally a couple of minutes later, there was my DS's first shirt made!

It was as simple as that.

I had no problems with any part of the process, and they look really good.

I made a couple of stupid errors, lol.... After a long while of doing them, I decided to plug the printer back in to print the last couple - so I unplugged the iron (I had been too lazy this morning to find a multi-socket haha) and went about printing. Several attempts later, I could not understand why this particular transfer just wasn't sticking... Errrrr, that would be because the iron was still unplugged and stone cold. Doh! I plugged the iron in and waited for it to warm up again, then set about re-trying to iron-on the transfer. Done. Let it cool. Remove wax paper - why is transfer not sticking this time? That would be because the backing paper was still on. Doh! I don't think that one was meant to be, do you?

I also thought I was running out of wax paper so I thought I'd use the stuff from my baking cupboard. It isn't the same thing. Oops! It looks the same, but it really isn't. When I tried to remove it from the ironed-on t-shirt it wouldn't come off lol, so is still on there and the t-shirt is ruined. It isn't a problem as the t-shirt was an old boring one and I can just re-print that logo if I need it.

So, without further ado, here are my t-shirts. Apart from one for DH, the shirts are all for my son Matthew, aged 5. He is autistic and we quite often have people staring at us wondering what his problem is so I've chosen to add an autism logo on the back. It isn't right on the front, in your face but sits nicely at the back so if people are wondering, hopefully they will spot that. It might work, it might not, we'll give it a go.

Donald and the rain:
IMG_1635.jpg

Front and back of the sweatshirt:
IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Traffic light shirt:
IMG_1638.jpg

One of my favourites: front and back of his Incredibles shirt:
IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

Sorry its a bit out of focus, grrr, but this is the Autism Mickeyhead shirt:
IMG_1652.jpg

And his Mickey Mickeyhead shirt:
IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

And the character collection one:
IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Toy Story Mania (even though they don't have the ride at DLP, its still cool)
IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Winnie the Pooh star:
IMG_1660.jpg

Buzz star - not sure this works on this colour t-shirt but its ok
IMG_1662.jpg

And finally, the Big Thunder Mountain one I made for DH:
IMG_1664.jpg

So pleased with them all! I do have some DISign requests still in a queue so whenever they are done I will get them made up as well, and if its not in time for this trip I can always use them next time.

Thank you to ALL the DISigners who helped me and let me borrow things out of their files, and to Amy for the most amazing transfers ever!

Love Rachel

Remove wax paper - why is transfer not sticking this time? That would be because the backing paper was still on. Doh! I don't think that one was meant to be, do you?

I also thought I was running out of wax paper so I thought I'd use the stuff from my baking cupboard. It isn't the same thing. Oops! It looks the same, but it really isn't. When I tried to remove it from the ironed-on t-shirt it wouldn't come off lol, so is still on there and the t-shirt is ruined. It isn't a problem as the t-shirt was an old boring one and I can just re-print that logo if I need it.

Thank you to ALL the DISigners who helped me and let me borrow things out of their files, and to Amy for the most amazing transfers ever!

Love Rachel

Rachel,

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. Your shirts look fantastic! I am so glad you loved the transfers.

I just wanted to point out one small thing (for anyone following along). The paper that is included with your transfers is parchment paper, NOT wax paper. Which is probably why you had the problem when you pulled out your handy wax paper.

You can buy extra parchment paper in the grocery store with the foil but it is NOT the same thing as wax paper.

awesome job!! I am just starting my t-shirts today--I hope they turn out as well as yours did!

Thank you! I'm sure yours will be great...just take your time and they'll come out fine. I found the hardest thing was getting the disign straight - such a worry, holding the shirt up and finding a wonky graphic :scared1:. Good luck. :)

Rachel,

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. Your shirts look fantastic! I am so glad you loved the transfers.

I just wanted to point out one small thing (for anyone following along). The paper that is included with your transfers is parchment paper, NOT wax paper. Which is probably why you had the problem when you pulled out your handy wax paper.

You can buy extra parchment paper in the grocery store with the foil but it is NOT the same thing as wax paper.

Thanks again for the transfers Amy, they are brilliant. A couple of friends here (who aren't in to Disney so don't read DISboards or anything) have seen them and are totally in awe. I may well have to order more transfers soon, lol!

With the parchment paper - here in the UK they sell so many types of paper that are similar - like baking paper, greaseproof paper, wax paper etc - but grocery stores don't sell anything called parchment paper. I don't really know why I used it, I had enough with the parchment paper you sent - but I hadn't been methodical so I couldn't remember which sheets I'd used and how many times, doh!

Too creative! Enjoy your Disney trip!!

Thank you! So looking forward to it now!

I love for the kids to have the custom t-shirts! Your designs are fantastic!!! :)

This is our first time with DS having custom t-shirts really looking forward to it. I wish they were my designs lol!

Looks great! Kudos to you and all the DISigners!

Thanks so much!

Your Shirts look great!

Thanks, its really kind of you to say!

nice job on your sons shirts

Thanks, I hope he likes them!

Having just seen the weather forecast for our trip, I don't think anyone will actually get to see the t-shirts :headache:

Rachel x

Awesome JOB...Matthew will be SO IN STYLE....

I do have a question though...maybe a few...I'm about to do this too....DO YOU HAVE TO wash the shirts first??? and if so why????

How much ink did you use??? I am using an Epson printer/combo with mine and was wondering how much new ink I need to buy....

THANK YOU SO MUCH...

HH:thumbsup2

Awesome JOB...Matthew will be SO IN STYLE....

I do have a question though...maybe a few...I'm about to do this too....DO YOU HAVE TO wash the shirts first??? and if so why????

How much ink did you use??? I am using an Epson printer/combo with mine and was wondering how much new ink I need to buy....

THANK YOU SO MUCH...

HH:thumbsup2

Hiya,

Thanks so much for the kind words, I'm hoping he likes the shirts.

The instructions do say to wash them, I think it is in case the shirts shrink at all on their first wash.

I really didn't use a massive amount of ink at all, probably half a cartridge in total and that was including laminated graphics and stuff too. I have a Kodak printer, although I did buy 4 combo packs in preparation :rotfl2:

Good luck!
Rachel

Hi,
I am new to the boards & I can't find out what type of printable transfers everyone is using. I can't pm anyone b/c I am new. Someone pls help!

Love the shirts! Where did the one with the buzz/star come from?
Did you have to reverse your photo to print on the paper? If so what photo software did you use? The one I use does not have a flip it has rotate clockwise/counter clockwise. Would one of these work?
Thanks for your help!

your shirts look great! They are so much fun to make and wear!

I just posted pics of my finished projects and I can tell you it is addicting :)
I agree about Amy's transfers -so easy to use and turned out great...so great that I had to order more transfers to do more shirts! :)

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter