Comparing Universal attractions to Disney World

NorweJenNY

Always expanding my knowledge of the World
We are total Disney World people (passholders for years) and will ride anything there... we’re in research mode and trying to understand what each Universal attraction is like.

Our family (2 adults, 2 teen boys) has a general thrill level tolerance that peaks at rides like Aerosmith and Everest... although a couple of us sometimes turn away Aerosmith and Space Mtn depending on our moods. We mostly like immersive experiences, cool effects, slight thrills...

Family favorite attractions at Disney would be Everest, Tower of Terror, Soarin’, Flight of Passage, and of course - tops on our list - Rise of the Resistance!

Just curious what you may recommend as MUST-DO attractions at either Universal Orlando park for us? Any we may want to consider caution with?

Some more specific questions to add:
- Which ones go upside-down (or close to it)?
- Which ones might get us too wet in cold weather?
- Which ones have tight seats? (As a reference, Seven Dwarves Mine Train is a bit tight and claustrophobic for one of us... one in our group has very big, broad shoulders that can be an issue with some over the head restraints elsewhere though not any Disney ones, and FOP has been a concern at times with too much pressure on the abdomen.)

Thanks in advance!

Must do- all Harry Potter and The Mummy.

Hulk and RRR might be intense for you but they are worth a try. Forbidden Journey comes close to being upside down but it’s worth it too. 👍

I know someone wrote up a pretty good compare and contrast but I’ll be darned if I know where to find it! Hopefully someone else does.

Here's some of my thoughts for you:

At Islands of Adventure:

Must-Do's based on what you said you like:

- Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey. Another immersive ride that blends Live action sets with motion simulation flying elements (similar in sensation to Flight of Passage). This is absolutely my favourite ride anywhere in the world so it's always at the top of my ToDo lists.
- Spider-Man. This ride was designed by the same person who designed Rise of the Resistance so you will love this one.
- Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. This is a unique coaster that I can't really compare to anything at Disney. But it's a good thrill with live action animatronics throughout, 7 launches throughout (kinda like the launch at the beginning of Aerosmith) and a couple of other unique coaster elements I won't spoil for you. It's all very low to the ground and doesn't go upside down.
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong. This is mostly "motion simulator" in a Safari-like vehicle that my kids love and you'll probably like it too.
- Doctor Dooms fearfall. Much less immersive than Tower of Terror, but the thrill/sensation is similar.
- Hogwarts Express. This is the train from Harry Potter that connects to the other park. It's immersive and a must do if you like Harry Potter. But you need Park to Park tickets to go back and forth betwee the two parks

Maybe-Do's
- Incredible Hulk. Intense roller coaster. It has an opening launch like Aerosmith, but then continues with the intensity and goes upside down several times. It's one of my family's favourites so you guys might like it too. It has over the shoulder restraints.
- Jurassic Park River Adventure. This is a water ride but I find that you rarely get soaked. More of a splash like splash moutain. But there is the odd time depending how the water splashes that you might get more wet. Seems a bit like "luck of the draw". But it is a great ride and very immersive and worth a try.
- Dudley Doo Right's. This is a log flume ride similar in design to Splash Mountain. But you will get soaked 90+ % of the time.
- Popeye's. This is similar in design to Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, but you will likely also get soaked on this one the majority of the time.
- Flight of the Hippogryph. Kiddie coaster similar in design to Goofy's Barnstormer. I find it too tame and we usually skip this

At Universal Studios

- Escape from Gringotts. This is an immersive coaster/simulator hybrid that is excellent.
- Revenge of the Mummy. Immersive indoor coaster. This is an awesome ride. It starts and stops with lots of scenes with animatronics and fire effects. No more intense than Everest.
- Transformers. Same ride system as Spider-man with similar thrills of live action and screen simulated thrills
- Men in Black. Think of this as a mix of Buzz Lighyear (spinny seats going through a live action environment) and Toy Story (shooting things for point, but shooting at real objects, not screens)
- Hogwarts Express. This is the train mentioned above. It takes you back to Islands of Adventure from Universal. The experience is different going back.

Maybe-Do's
- Rip Ride Rockit. This is a coaster and while technically it doesn't go upside down (it has a loop but you stay upright as you twist through it) it is intense. But we love this ride and you pick music from a touch screen that will blast in your ears as you ride (which to me adds nicely to the experience).
- Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. This is a pure motion sim theatre. It's cute. It was better IMO when it was 3D (the removed 3D about a year ago). Always has really long lines (because it's capacity isn't the best people eater) but if you possibly
- The Simpson's Ride. This is also a pure motion simulation theatre. Some find this ride too jarring and don't like it. My family enjoys it as we are big Simpson's fans and find the ride story hilarious
- Jimmy Fallon's Race Through New York. Another simulation theatre ride. It's fun I suppose, just not "must-do" fun.
- ET's Adventure. Not a thrill ride. Think of this as Universal's version of Peter Pan. It's cute/nostalgic. If you have any love of ET then it's a must do, but otherwise you might skip it.

Other things I recommend:
- Hollywood Horror Makeup show. On the Universal side, this is a show that goes through demonstrations about how they do Hollywood horror effects. It's HILARIOUS and we love it.
- Bourne Stuntacular. Another live action show on the Universal side. I haven't been to it personally as it just opened this post pandemic closure but everything I've read about it says it's spectacular.

Questions about tight seats:
Universal generally fits "smaller" that things at Disney. Tough to say how you will do. Dudley Doo-Right's has IMO really tiny seats that are hard to get in and out of. Hulk and Forbidden Journey have over the shoulder restraints and some have said they have tight fits. But these two rides as well as Gringotts and Mummy have "modified" seats that are larger to accommodate larger passengers. The good thing is that almost every ride that has seats that might be tight have a "test seat" outside of the entrance of the ride to try to make sure you would fit in the ride.

Here's some of my thoughts for you:

At Islands of Adventure:

- Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey. Another immersive ride that blends Live action sets with motion simulation flying elements (similar in sensation to Flight of Passage). This is absolutely my favourite ride anywhere in the world so it's always at the top of my ToDo lists.
- Spider-Man. This ride was designed by the same person who designed Rise of the Resistance so you will love this one.
- Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. This is a unique coaster that I can't really compare to anything at Disney. But it's a good thrill with live action animatronics throughout, 7 launches throughout (kinda like the launch at the beginning of Aerosmith) and a couple of other unique coaster elements I won't spoil for you. It's all very low to the ground and doesn't go upside down.
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong. This is mostly "motion simulator" in a Safari-like vehicle that my kids love and you'll probably like it too.
- Doctor Dooms fearfall. Much less immersive than Tower of Terror, but the thrill/sensation is similar.
- Hogwarts Express. This is the train from Harry Potter that connects to the other park. It's immersive and a must do if you like Harry Potter. But you need Park to Park tickets to go back and forth betwee the two parks

Maybe-Do's
- Incredible Hulk. Intense roller coaster. It has an opening launch like Aerosmith, but then continues with the intensity and goes upside down several times. It's one of my family's favourites so you guys might like it too. It has over the shoulder restraints.
- Jurassic Park River Adventure. This is a water ride but I find that you rarely get soaked. More of a splash like splash moutain. But there is the odd time depending how the water splashes that you might get more wet. Seems a bit like "luck of the draw". But it is a great ride and very immersive and worth a try.
- Dudley Doo Right's. This is a log flume ride similar in design to Splash Mountain. But you will get soaked 90+ % of the time.
- Popeye's. This is similar in design to Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, but you will likely also get soaked on this one the majority of the time.
- Flight of the Hippogryph. Kiddie coaster similar in design to Goofy's Barnstormer. I find it too tame and we usually skip this

At Universal Studios

- Escape from Gringotts. This is an immersive coaster/simulator hybrid that is excellent.
- Revenge of the Mummy. Immersive indoor coaster. This is an awesome ride. It starts and stops with lots of scenes with animatronics and fire effects. No more intense than Everest.
- Transformers. Same ride system as Spider-man with similar thrills of live action and screen simulated thrills
- Men in Black. Think of this as a mix of Buzz Lighyear (spinny seats going through a live action environment) and Toy Story (shooting things for point, but shooting at real objects, not screens)
- Hogwarts Express. This is the train mentioned above. It takes you back to Islands of Adventure from Universal. The experience is different going back.

Maybe-Do's
- Rip Ride Rockit. This is a coaster and while technically it doesn't go upside down (it has a loop but you stay upright as you twist through it) it is intense. But we love this ride and you pick music from a touch screen that will blast in your ears as you ride (which to me adds nicely to the experience).
- Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. This is a pure motion sim theatre. It's cute. It was better IMO when it was 3D (the removed 3D about a year ago). Always has really long lines (because it's capacity isn't the best people eater) but if you possibly
- The Simpson's Ride. This is also a pure motion simulation theatre. Some find this ride too jarring and don't like it. My family enjoys it as we are big Simpson's fans and find the ride story hilarious
- Jimmy Fallon's Race Through New York. Another simulation theatre ride. It's fun I suppose, just not "must-do" fun.
- ET's Adventure. Not a thrill ride. Think of this as Universal's version of Peter Pan. It's cute/nostalgic. If you have any love of ET then it's a must do, but otherwise you might skip it.

Other things I recommend:
- Hollywood Horror Makeup show. On the Universal side, this is a show that goes through demonstrations about how they do Hollywood horror effects. It's HILARIOUS and we love it.
- Bourne Stuntacular. Another live action show on the Universal side. I haven't been to it personally as it just opened this post pandemic closure but everything I've read about it says it's spectacular.

Questions about tight seats:
Universal generally fits "smaller" that things at Disney. Tough to say how you will do. Dudley Doo-Right's has IMO really tiny seats that are hard to get in and out of. Hulk and Forbidden Journey have over the shoulder restraints and some have said they have tight fits. But these two rides as well as Gringotts and Mummy have "modified" seats that are larger to accommodate larger passengers. The good thing is that almost every ride that has seats that might be tight have a "test seat" outside of the entrance of the ride to try to make sure you would fit in the ride.

This is such a fabulous list with details! Thank you for all of this - much appreciated! :)

Additional question... are there attractions in Universal that are typically lower wait times for doing in between bigger attractions? Or is it only specifically "kiddie" rides? (I'm getting the sense there's more of a differentiation possibly at Universal?)
[Like Disney has the teacups, Mickey's Philharmagic at MK, and at Epcot, Mission Space (at least green is usually lower), The Seas, and The Land boat ride, and Imagination - all pleasant but without such long waits...]

Additional question... are there attractions in Universal that are typically lower wait times for doing in between bigger attractions? Or is it only specifically "kiddie" rides? (I'm getting the sense there's more of a differentiation possibly at Universal?)
[Like Disney has the teacups, Mickey's Philharmagic at MK, and at Epcot, Mission Space (at least green is usually lower), The Seas, and The Land boat ride, and Imagination - all pleasant but without such long waits...]

It's usually mostly the kid rides. Universal has it's own "Teacups" ride which is Force Storm Accelatron in the Marvel area. There's also the Suess Landing rides that typically have low wait times. On the Universal side There's a Kidzone area that has Woody Woodpeckers coaster (similar to Goofy's) that is usually low waits. Shrek 4-D theatre normally has low wait time but that's pre-pandemic. With current covid spacing restrictions the wait times for that have looked relatively long. But IMO it's not really that worth it even with a short wait.

When are you planning on going? Where are you planning on staying? The reason I ask is that early in the New Year (mid Jan onwards, Feb) it's likely to be slower anyway. But in terms of place you're staying, have you considered staying on-site at one of the Universal Deluxe hotels? Staying at Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel, or Royal Pacific resort comes with unlimited Express Passes for the length of your stay including check-in and check-out day. Think of them like Disney FastPass, but unlimited for every ride in the park at any time (except Hagrid's coaster. They don't have Express Pass for that ride yet).

I agree with all TommyJK says. What an excellent list.
I would add that we always do Escape from Gringotts, but skip IOA"s Forbidden Journey. For us, it was too intense and I felt like we were going to tip over backwards (we didn't), but I don't like that sensation. Also the "arm" thing you ride on is very maneuverable and can switch positions easily. I didn't like the feel of speeding in space and the Dragon that spits on you (I think). I know others love it, but was one and done for us.
Gringotts is the best theme park ride anywhere, IMO. The preshow is fantastic and the ride itself is a blast, lots of theming. I never got dizzy on this one. Also the train between is alot of fun too.
We loved MIB and had a blast hitting the aliens. We ride it over and over again.
The Minions are cute and fun too, for any age.
As for wait times: We had EP's with our resort stay, and I am glad we did. We walked on attractions over and over without a wait. We have never tried it without EP's, but if it's not too crowded it should be doable. I believe you can buy EP's while in the park if you want them, BUT they only sell a limited amount each day.
I know you will love Universal, especially your teenage boys. My 14 and 12 y/o grandsons absolutely loved it.

It's usually mostly the kid rides. Universal has it's own "Teacups" ride which is Force Storm Accelatron in the Marvel area. There's also the Suess Landing rides that typically have low wait times. On the Universal side There's a Kidzone area that has Woody Woodpeckers coaster (similar to Goofy's) that is usually low waits. Shrek 4-D theatre normally has low wait time but that's pre-pandemic. With current covid spacing restrictions the wait times for that have looked relatively long. But IMO it's not really that worth it even with a short wait.

When are you planning on going? Where are you planning on staying? The reason I ask is that early in the New Year (mid Jan onwards, Feb) it's likely to be slower anyway. But in terms of place you're staying, have you considered staying on-site at one of the Universal Deluxe hotels? Staying at Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel, or Royal Pacific resort comes with unlimited Express Passes for the length of your stay including check-in and check-out day. Think of them like Disney FastPass, but unlimited for every ride in the park at any time (except Hagrid's coaster. They don't have Express Pass for that ride yet).

Agree with all of this except the part about Shrek having a low wait time. With four different trips spanning about 15 days in the past 1.5 years, we have never seen a low wait time at Shrek, and it takes forever to move everyone into the room.

We're FL residents, so when we finally go, it will be with annual passes - seems like a good value to not feel like we have to cram everything into a day or two. I prefer knowing we can come back if we don't get to do something the first time.

I've looked at those hotel prices and EPs - that's a lot of money... *if* we stay at Universal, it would probably be one of the other resorts for a fraction of that price. That EP experience is just not in the budget for our travel style. We prefer slower paced and spreading trips out here and there - always something new to look forward to!

There is three rollercoasters at universal that makes Everest and rockin rollercoaster looks like kids coasters. Next year theres a fourth one that will come out.
mummy is comparable to the top coasters at Disney.
There are three rides I will never go on again at universal they are Simpsons, forbidden journey and terminators. Too much motion. Simpson’s I barely made it. Thought for sure I was going to throw up. Simpsons is like star tours but with a lot more motion.

There is three rollercoasters at universal that makes Everest and rockin rollercoaster looks like kids coasters. Next year theres a fourth one that will come out.
mummy is comparable to the top coasters at Disney.
There are three rides I will never go on again at universal they are Simpsons, forbidden journey and terminators. Too much motion. Simpson’s I barely made it. Thought for sure I was going to throw up. Simpsons is like star tours but with a lot more motion.
Curious which coasters. Hulk is the only one I can think of. Rip Ride Rockit is big but no more intense than Rockin Roller Coaster - no inversions and stops after almost every element for a block brake. Mummy is quick and in the dark but no big drops or anything and doesn't go too fast. Dueling Dragons were definitely more intense but them being gone I just see Hulk, and soon Velocicoaster as the major thrills.

Curious which coasters. Hulk is the only one I can think of. Rip Ride Rockit is big but no more intense than Rockin Roller Coaster - no inversions and stops after almost every element for a block brake. Mummy is quick and in the dark but no big drops or anything and doesn't go too fast. Dueling Dragons were definitely more intense but them being gone I just see Hulk, and soon Velocicoaster as the major thrills.

there’s hulk, rip ride rocket and hagrids I said mummy’ was comparable to Disney’s top rollercoasters. Rocking roller coaster. Is not intense.

Last edited:
Ditto on everything - but Hulk just did me in. I can do all Disney coasters on both coasts, but I don't know why Hulk killed me, perhaps it is the constant disorienting- didn't even try RRR after Hulk. But Hagrid's Motorbike is my official new favorite ride ever !!

I agree with that what the others said, except I would put Jurassic Park River Adventure on the must-do list.
Yes, it's like Splash Mountain, but it's more interactive as I feel more part of the story.

I like coasters but I will never ride Hulk or Rip Ride Rocket ever again.

RRRs restraint system and overall jerkiness makes it one of the worst coasters in Orlando.

I don't bother with RRR too much just because I find it pretty dull overall. The individual elements are decent but the braking between everyone just kills any momentum you get. I think this adds to the jerkiness as well since you keep slamming into brakes along the way. Would have rather seen longer trains with fewer blocks to keep stuff going more smoothly. The line also seems to move really slow compared to their other coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter