Comparing Toledo v. California Grill

JCMCM

Mouseketeer
This is certainly not a proper dining review, but I find (mostly lurking on) these forums to be so helpful and wanted to share some info from our recent trip that might benefit others. I haven't seen many reviews on California Grill since they went to the prix fixe menu and I've seen even fewer reviews on Toldeo. In short, we are longtime California Grill fans, but with the new prix fixe menu we found Toledo to be much more enjoyable.

Our first night, we dined at Toledo. This was our first time here so we weren't sure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised with the setting, food and service. We walked out onto the not-at-all-busy terrace to take in the sights while waiting for a few minutes for our table to be ready. Honestly, I wish we spent a little longer out there (and we did after dinner) as seeing the new effects on Spaceship Earth from that perspective was fantastic. Between my husband, my 16-year-old son and I, we had the Pan con Tomate (which I thought was just okay, but my son really enjoyed and said we should try to replicate at home), the Spaniard cheese and charcuterie (which was huge!), Braised Lamb Shank, Rioja-braised Chicken, Grouper and 2-3 cocktails. We thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered. Sadly, none of us had room left for dessert. The service was also excellent -- with solid recommendations on food and cocktails and a great combination of being both friendly and professional. Toledo "all in" for the 3 of us was $233.

In contrast, on our last night we dined at California Grill. We checked in and were directed to the back of a loooooooong line to take the elevator to the top floor (we were arriving shortly before fireworks began). We received our table is ready text and continued to wait. After a bit, we and another family checked back with the host stand to be sure they knew we were there and just still waiting on the elevator and then they said "Oh, if you've gotten the text your table is ready you should just get on the next elevator" and pointed in that direction. Umm, okay. Since they did not have anyone staffing the elevator, we and the other family effectively "line jumped" everyone which felt awkward and could be alleviated by just having 2 separate queues and/or better staffing/signage/directions. This was our first time dining during fireworks (we're usually the sunset crowd) so maybe this is how it always is??? Seeing the fireworks from our table at CG was lovely, so that part was great. However, a lot of the food was simply not as good as it has been in previous experiences. It suddenly felt like a quantity over quality situation. Notably, my filet was larger but lesser quality compared to previous visits, my son said his chicken dish was not nearly as tasty as what he had at Toledo, and my husband did not even order any of the sushi appetizers as his personal favorites are no longer offered. The "mandatory" desserts were another disappointment as the Lavender Sugar Doughnuts are sadly NOT the tiny warm doughnuts of the past and were instead bigger doughnuts served stone cold . . . they reminded us of Dunkin Donuts and we're a Krispy Kreme "Hot Now" or die family. :rotfl2: One positive on the food . . . I knew I would not be hungry for dessert so I ordered the cheese plate and asked for it to be delivered at the beginning of the meal for all of us to share and they were happy to oblige. The service was also slow and disappointing. Our server was often MIA and they tended to just leave things sitting on the table that should be removed -- like excess wine glasses and my son's empty tea glass/simple syrup. Not tragic, but not what I expect or what we've experienced in the past. My impression was that our server must have been new and a bit overwhelmed. CG "all in" for the 3 of us was $413. Yikes.

Even if you account for the 2 extra glasses of wine we had at CG for a more apples to apples comparison, that's a HUGE difference in price. We ❤ dining and are definitely not "I'll just have a cupcake and water" folks, but I don't WANT that much food and I especially don't want a lower quality experience for a higher price.

All that to say, I'd recommend giving Toledo a try if you haven't yet. It and Citricos are our new favorites and I'm afraid we won't be back to CG until and unless they change the menu. Obviously YMMV and I'm certainly hoping Toledos can be consistently great and we had a one-off night at CG. 🤞

It's also inspired us to check out other off-property dining next time we visit. Anybody tried Bull & Bear? Or Christini's?

Thanks for the excellent review. Before they went to the pre-fixe menu at CG, my plan was to book our last night's dinner for my DH's and my April trip there. Once they changed the menu, it really didn't suit our tastes but I still wanted that "top floor" restaurant experience, maybe we should give Toledo a try instead...

Thanks for this review. CG is my family's favorite restaurant - we've been dining there for the past two decades. I'm really nervous about an upcoming reservation - right before fireworks like yours. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for this review. CG is my family's favorite restaurant - we've been dining there for the past two decades. I'm really nervous about an upcoming reservation - right before fireworks like yours. We'll see how it goes...

Well we've only been going there for the last decade or so, so you've got us beat! I wouldn't be too nervous. We still had a nice evening . . . CG's just fallen from grace with us. I'm sure you'll have a good time and, with any luck, our bad experience was just a fluke. Honestly, having a poor server was a major issue. We normally ask for Ryan (who we adore) and he wasn't working that night. Our experience would have been vastly different with him, I'm sure. Fireworks from the table + outstanding service > "not like it used to be" food and prix fixe. Plus, I like to think he would have warned us not to order those doughnuts! :rotfl: I hope you can report back that your meal was ~MAGICAL~ :rainbow:

We did CG for dinner in December 2019 right before the MVMCP fireworks and it was dreadful! Mediocre service, terrible filet (came out MW instead of MR and the replacement took half an hour), and overall very average, not what we were expecting for something that's touted as one of the best restaurants in WDW. I will have to add Toledo to my list as Coronado is my favorite resort.

We did CG for dinner in December 2019 right before the MVMCP fireworks and it was dreadful!
Yikes! Hmmm…maybe what we experienced was a timing thing as much as a new menu thing. Either way, it soured us on CG.

We hadn’t been to Coronado in years but the new Tower was very beautiful. Love the lobby!

Thanks for sharing. We haven't done the price fix meal at CG but your experience certainly sounds indicative of our last time there from both a food and service experience. Sad its gone down hill so far. But so happy to hear Toledo was such a great experience for you all. We just dined there for our first time as well and it was fantastic! Hands down better than the current iteration of CG

Awesome review! Thanks so much for sharing. I haven't tried Toledo yet but it's on my list. I cannot recommend Bull & Bear highly enough. It's incredible. You get an entire team of servers and we've always had outstanding service with just about every need anticipated. They do a lot of tableside preparations that are really fun -- the caesar salad and fried chicken are "must do's" for us. The latter is listed as an entree but we usually get it to share as an appetizer. I've had several different steaks and all have been delicious. Sides are great as well. "The Lemon" is a fantastic and unique dessert although next time I may try the strawberry shortcake as that is also a tableside preparation that looks fun. It is definitely $$$$ but well worth it, in my opinion. Note that they do have lounge seating with proper tables (vs. bar-only or high-tops) that is available first-come first-serve and has a more casual vibe than the dining room. Also, if Open Table doesn't show any availability in the dining room, try calling the restaurant directly. That's how we've secured reservations on our last two visits.

You may also enjoy trying Capa at the Four Seasons. Another incredible rooftop deck and the resort overall is stunning.

But so happy to hear Toledo was such a great experience for you all. We just dined there for our first time as well and it was fantastic! Hands down better than the current iteration of CG
Yep … I think the big takeaway here is that Toledo is a wonderful experience! For us, it’s definitely feels worth putting in “the rotation.” I love it when a “let’s give this new place a whirl” turns out so we’ll.

P.S. Absolutely love all your reviews! I’m gotten such great info through your willingness to share your dining adventures! THANK YOU!

I cannot recommend Bull & Bear highly enough. It's incredible.

Thanks so much for sharing about Bull & Bear! Based on your recommendations I just watched a YouTube review with the Caesar, fried chicken and the lemon. Holy smokes that all looks AMAZING!

Also, if Open Table doesn't show any availability in the dining room, try calling the restaurant directly. That's how we've secured reservations on our last two visits.

What a great tip! We hadn’t had any luck getting a reservation via Open Table for our February trip but I’ll give them a try directly.🤞

You may also enjoy trying Capa at the Four Seasons. Another incredible rooftop deck and the resort overall is stunning.

And now I’m off to scope out the Capa menu…

We had two terrible dinner experiences at California Grill and won’t be going back again. Their brunch was amazing but I don’t know if they are still doing that in a Covid world.

If you liked Toledo you should try Jaleo in Disney Springs. It's not a rooftop experience but the food was wonderful. Bull and Bear was wonderful too if you don't mind going offsite.

If you liked Toledo you should try Jaleo in Disney Springs. It's not a rooftop experience but the food was wonderful. Bull and Bear was wonderful too if you don't mind going offsite.

We actually have been to Jaleo and absolutely loved it! Such great flavor combinations . . . I expected the flat iron steak and croquetas to be delish, but who knew endive with goat cheese and oranges was amazing?? :rainbow:

Thanks for the recommendation on Bull and Bear. I'm thinking we're going to have to give it a whirl. We couldn't find a reservation that worked for us last trip, but there's always next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter