Companion restrooms

lisapooh

HH Pin Crazy Pooh Fan
Well the able bodied have discovered the companion restrooms and are abusing them. I was at EPCOT Tuesday and not once was a companion restroom available. I would wait and out would walk a perfectly healthy able bodied person. Not even one with several kids who might need to take them with them. Singles just taking advantage of a free private restroom. The parks weren't crowded and they could have used a regular restroom and left them for those who really need them. I can't get my power wheelchair into most of the handicapped stalls at EPCOT and MK so companion restrooms are wonderful. But instead I had to go into the ladies room and struggle out of my chair on my sticks, use the handicapped stall and then struggle back into my chair. What a pain!

:( :( :( :( :( :(
That is one of my pet peaves too. It's especially bad at MK and Epcot since those companion restrooms are the ONLY ones that a wheelchair fits into.
Just as bad are the people who keep trying the door when you are in one. I have hurried my DD several times because I thought it was another disabled person waiting to get in. When we got out, it was a single ambulatory peron . I don't know if she had some other need (like catheterization) that she felt she needed the companion restroom for, but there was no visible need.

Last week as I struggled to get off my scooter and into an H/p stall a lovely woman came up to me and in halting English said there are bigger rest rooms for you. I had to shake my head a point out the long line of seemingly able-bodied folks in line for the compainion rest room. Some times I just can't wait!

That was nice of the lady. In the rest stations on the turnpike there is a sign requesting that handicapped stalls be left for the use of the handicapped guests. Of course, many just ignore it. What a pain.
I could use a standard stall if I leave my wheelccccchair and transfer except for the placement of toilet paper holder blocks my from properly caring for myself. I can only twist one way. It gets really fustrating. MOre so when you are in line and waiting and the person in front of you calmly takes the handicapped stall so you end up waiting even longer until they finish. And they are never quick about it either.
At EPCOT the handicapped stall was being used by some Candlelight Processional performers to change because they had worn shorts into the parks and could not wear them under the gowns. The mother was making comments about that but not once did she ask her daughter to hurry as there was someone needing the stall.

It would be nice if all the stalls were marked. Sometimes the only cue you have is that the door opens outward. People would still ignore it, but at least there would be a better chance.
I also don't understand the place3ment of the toilet paper holders. Sometimes the holder in the small handicapped stalls is placed somewhere in the way. Probably the biggest problem there is the people putting the things up really have no idea about the needs of the people who will use them.

No they have never had to wipe with limited movement. My limit behind is to the edge of my back unless I twist. Shoulders are a mess. Also the reason I cannot use a manual chair. :(

When Im in line I usually ask some silly question...like how long's the wait so people will see there is a handi person waiting and USUALLY but not always Im afraid I'm let in no matter where I am....and if some seem to not care that I'm there then I step out of line and slide as soon as the able bodied person walks out od the stall....(Do this at concerts and malls alot LOL)

I have never used the compnaion restrooms at the parks because I know the bigger handi stall inside the restrooms is appropriate enuff! :) Even if I needed DH (which I don't) to come into a companion one w me I doubt he would LOL

I use these bathroom with my 15 year old son with autism when ever they are open. At his age I don't feel right about taking him into the women's bathroom (which I will do if there no companion). He does walk but he has a hard time going around others and will hold it if i don't use these. I also use thes with him because of the safety issues. I know this isn't what you where talking about but I just want to share why some normal looking people use these bathroom. thanks

These were not people with companions. These were single, walking people of normal size. I have no problem with a parent taking an older diffferent sex disabled child into a companion restroom. And I wouldn't have a problem picking out most autistic kids since I work with them often. If they are affected enough there are signs that a person who works with them can pick up on.

We must have been lucky this year when we were there Nov 2-11 because the companion rooms at Disney were almost always avail (my wife and I both need to go in together) with one exception over at SeaWorld. Last year it was a different story when we would wait numerous times for a single apparently able bodied person. I just appreciate the companion rooms because it makes things a lot more comfortable for us. I wish more places would put them in. Especially rest stops and other large public places.

PS We also went to Holy Land Experience and they do NOT have a companion restroom. They had to close a ladies restroom down while we went in together. There were a number of others waiting by the time we were done. Talk about pressure to go. I hate that.

I didn't even realize there were companion restrooms at WDW. I am so glad I looked at this board today. My son is 14 with Downs and I never will take him to the park without my husband just in case he has to go to the restroom. It's not that he needs help, but everytime he goes in the regular men's room himself, he calls me to "come here" for one reason or another. He's too big to go with me into the ladies room. Even after 15 trips to WDW you can still learn something new. Thanks. Nasi

Nasi, I'm glad you found some useful info.
If you pick up a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at Guest Services, you will find a list of where the companion restrooms are located. There is a guidebook for each park.
Have fun at the parks. :)

Nasi!

Just wanted to extend you a welcome as well!! :) Feel free to ask any questions...use Teri's FAQ in her post....and make GREAT use of the DIS search engine at the top of the page...you'd be amazed the info you'll catch! :)

As well Sue and myself are always available thru either email or PM (private messages) here on DIS :)

I miss the companion washrooms. Our dd was 7.5 years old during last trip. She can walk, but we use a stroller for her comfort, she'd be out of it in an hour without it. Her disability is *invisible* I guess. But these washrooms were great for her. dh was able to help her when I had to tend to the baby outside the washrooms. Now that we are home, I wish the companion washrooms in the public places in my town. We never had any problem getting one, in fact, I never saw anyone else use them in April 2001. I hate the powdered soap ~ YUCK!

Last time we were in Disney , we had an emergency with DS and his diaper. Since he is 11 and he looks "perfectly normal" (for lack of a better term) I hate to take him into the ladies room with me. David had a stroke which has left him at the 1 year old level. I always cringe when we have to use the bathrooms because of all the STARES we get (DD told people once that we are such a close family that on vacations we eat, sleep and pee together...quality family time ....people stopped staring while they picked their jaws up off the floor.... )We went to the Baby Care station in the park (MK) and they were so wondeful there to us. We are lucky that DD is ok to walk very short distances. I really don't remember but I do not think that they are handicapped acceisible as we left his chair outside. Just wanted to throw this out as a last resort for anyone who is able to use the non-handicapped restrooms. but may need to help a companion, child etc. There was no line and we were able to take DS into the bathroom without the stares. I did say something to the CM's as we were leaving sort of asked if it was ok to use these and they said it was no problem at all.

D and Ls mom, I just wanted to say that God has blessed you with a dtr that has a wonderful sense of humor. I lol at her comment to the "bathroom people"

If you can't beat -em..Laugh at them!!!!I know that sounds mean but sometimes it just really gets to me. Lucky I have a DD who is 10 and just will not put up with people staring at her brother. Children are OK she will smileand explain but adults are not forgiven that easily. I have given up. She says it like it is. Although DS cannot talk DD has a voice big enough for both of them:)

Well I hope this post is not going to cause problems with you all, but please remember not to judge those who seem "fine" by their appearance. In the past I have read many posts from individuals who use handicapped parking spaces but because they have an "invisible" issue they are made to feel that they shouldn't be allowed to use the spaces.

While visiting WDW last fall my DM felt ill & I wondered if she was going to have a seizure (she has epilepsy). I got her into a companion restroom and she did indeed have a seizure then. At that particular moment I was with her and she happened to be in an ECV so the need "looked" apparent to anyone who might have seen us.

However, I have met many individuals who seem to have no visible disability. That doesn't mean that they are not disabled and should be restricted from using these restrooms. At the same time I DO realize that many people use them when they are not "necessary" but just convenient and unfortunately this is going to happen no matter what the sign says. So many just do not care or do not pay attention.

Again--sorry if this sounds like a lecture but please don't judge based on appearance-thanks!

I don't think of your post as a lecture just a reminder. My disability was hidden for a long time. So I know the stares and snide comments. I ignored them or thanked them for taking an interest in HP issues. I don't know why people who legitimately need to use accessiblity tools are so defensive. Hold your head up and live your life to the best level you can. This includes helping your spouses and children to maximize life's offerings( particularly at WDW.)

Karen, thank you - your comments are a good reminder to everyone. My knee condition is not a visible problem, but notheless it is a problem - more some days than others. I think some people get way too defensive :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter