• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Compact or full size stroller for parks?

Which stroller would you rather have for a WDW trip?

• Total voters

justme0729

DIS Veteran
Would you rather have a smaller stroller with less storage that easily folds with one hand for buses (I.e. City Mini GT2) or a larger stroller with a ton of storage for diaper bag/ shopping but heavier/ harder to transport and fold (I.e. Uppababy Vista). I’m deciding what stroller to buy for a baby we are expecting and we live an hour from Disney so I’m sure that is one place we will use it often. We don’t need to worry about getting it on a plane.

We have gone to Disney MANY times with kids at this point, hands down the little light weight umbrella strollers are best. Way easier getting on and off trams and getting through shops. I hang a little mini diaper bag on the handles (they actually make them specifically for the umbrella strollers). This last year we did get a nicer umbrella stroller which was great it was taller so less bending for the adults and had a small basket under which gave us space for things we may buy through the day.

I could get out of the tram, kids back in and in the park before the parents with the big strollers even got them out of the tram.

EDIT: I wanted to add, our umbrella had the ability to lean back for a new born and you could add a head rest

Last edited:
City Mini is a good choice for a baby. Comfortable enough to let them sleep and shade them, but easy enough to collapse. We brought a City Mini double for our twins when they were 1, and it was a good choice for a long day in the park.

When kids get a bit older (like 2 or 3+), I'm a big fan of a simple umbrella stroller. It is easier to navigate through crowds and collapse, easier for kids to hop out of, don't need to recline for naps anymore.

Hands down a smaller stroller. We took our big jogging stroller when my son was 1, and it was a pain in the ***. You end up carrying too much stuff, which makes folding it even more annoying and you need to figure out what to do with all the things that were on the stroller. By contrast, when we went to Disneyland when he was 2, we took our Silver Cross Jet, and it was amazing. He could fall asleep in it, but folding it was super easy.
It was also very convenient for other trips as well. If you think you'll travel to more places than just Disney, I'd highly recommend it since it can fit in the overhead compartment on the plane.

Loved using the little umbrella strollers at WDW. Easy to fit on the monorail, fold on a bus, and store against a fence rail in the stroller parking. They are also much less cumbersome and really easy to maneuver in and out of traffic.

We used a mid size stroller that collapsed and easily folded over double and had limited storage-a larger cloth compartment underneath and small pouch on the handle. We used the compartment underneath for purchases we made and a backpack, the pouch for umbrellas, and sometimes hung our purses on the handle along with the diaper bag while we were in transit all around the park.

We used our every day stroller for our Disney trip (Bob Motion), it's sort of the best of both worlds. Folded easily, smallish storage underneath, but had rubber tires. Also we used it from birth to 3 or 4 for my older daughter.

The umbrella stroller we only use when we don't care if the kid naps or about sun coverage, the canopy isn't very large.

Your best best is a full-featured umbrella-fold. That will give you easy folding for buses, full-height handles, but plenty of comfort for baby, and probably a bit of storage underneath (though I tended never to use the bottom basket at WDW; it was easier to carry a backpack and keep it slung over the handles; much quicker to grab the stuff when parking the stroller for ride queues.)

If you like UppaBaby, I'd recommend the G-Lux, rather than the Vista. I've always been a MacLaren fan when it comes to travel, and though they are not as popular as they once were, I'd still recommend them; the Quest is probably the best all-around value, but even the Techno is lighter and easier to use than most big American-style strollers. Their lightest reclining umbrella these days is the Sherpa.

If you want cupholders for yourself you can easily add a between-the-handles insulated one that folds with the stroller.

Last edited:
I have a big Graco Jogger that I use for local parks and grocery stores sometimes with my 4 year old, but I use it so infrequently. I actually bought a GB Pockit stroller on sale to use for our travel trips! I'll be doing a lot of solo travel with just me and my son, so I don't want to have to much to carry or anything to hard to close up quickly. it folds up to about 12x12x4 and can fit in a backpack with a few other items! I plan on packing very light for out trips and this should meet all my needs. I did get a canopy extender because the included canopy is crap, but even that folds up into the stroller and adds no bulk. Its super easy to maneuver and reclines just enough for my son to be comfortable if he fell asleep in it. He loves it!

Your best best is a full-featured umbrella-fold. That will give you easy folding for buses, full-height handles, but plenty of comfort for baby, and probably a bit of storage underneath (though I tended never to use the bottom basket at WDW; it was easier to carry a backpack and keep it slung over the handles; much quicker to grab the stuff when parking the stroller for ride queues.)

If you like UppaBaby, I'd recommend the G-Lux, rather than the
Vista.

If you want cupholders for yourself you can easily add a between-the-handles insulated one that folds with the stroller.
Thanks exactly what I do! Backpack for items that I sling on the handles, and a super cheap collapsable cup holder that velcros around the handles as well. much more convenient than using a basket.

We travelled with a double bob on our most recent trip and I loved it. I much preferred having something spacious and easy to push than something smaller simply so it will fold better. Just depends on where your priorities are.

I love extra space to stash things. I’m actually sad to be out of the stroller stage. For a theme park the citi mini is my favorite.

I'm not a fancy stroller person. We've had one stroller since my daughter was born, a Summer 3D Lite. I figured if I ever felt we needed something fancier, I'd upgrade and still have a decent umbrella stroller for travelling, but it's been three years and I've been more than happy with it. It's big enough that it has some storage underneath and also a pocket, but small and uncumbersome, and folds up nicely. After watching people struggle to get those great big luxury behemoths in and out of their cars, I know I made the right choice for myself.

If you aren't using it on a bus, I'd go for the big one. If you have to fold/unfold a lot for transportation, smaller is better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter