Comfy sleeping suggestions for tent camping?

Well, it was a long time ago (1990s) but we had a Dodge Caravan that had seats that fold down into the floor to give us a big open back end. IIRC we went tent camping and weather blew up one night so we bailed into the car for the night.

Those floors aren't PERFECTLY flat and smooth (hooks for the seats) and it was stuffy (wet so didn't crack windows).

My preference is up-off-the-ground rather than on the ground/surface. And on the ground/surface depends on if I'm in my Midori 1 with a proper backpacking mattress or in the back of a van with an air float. Now I will say, mattress toppers and memory foams have come a long way in 20-30 years.

No sense making an investment in cots or expensive toppers if this is the only time you might try something like this. I found with a cot I could also slightly elevate the head end which is more comfortable for me when I'm not at home (although in our Aliner I simply use two pillows).

BTW, what month of the fall are you going to attempt this?

Bama Ed
Haha! I like your use of the word "attempt" here! 😂 We'll be arriving mid-October. We're still considering possibly maybe (Do I sound non-committal enough?) pulling the pop up, but like I said earlier, it needs a bunch of work PLUS we'd have to have a hitch installed on our Honda Odyssey. The Toyota Sienna we've used in the past now has over 325,000 miles on it, so we're not feeling too optimistic about it pulling a camper over the mountains to get to FL any more. We're still just weighing our options at this point. I like the simplicity of a tent, we haven't tent camped in several years, and we've never tent camped at the Fort before..... could be fun! (Could be a nightmare!!) Lol! I do think your "up-off-the-ground" option sounds preferable, and we're wanting to go more places in addition to the Fort. I appreciate all the suggestions that have come from this post! We've got some great possibilities to look into!

For all things pop up related, the pop up portal is pretty good. They can help you sort out your pup. I am on thier also. As are a few people on this site. Lots tow with the honda, and depending on what camper and ots weight, it may be worth the hitch. How much work does the pop up need?

For all things pop up related, the pop up portal is pretty good. They can help you sort out your pup. I am on thier also. As are a few people on this site. Lots tow with the honda, and depending on what camper and ots weight, it may be worth the hitch. How much work does the pop up need?
Yes, we've gotten lots of good info from the pop up portal over the years! We're not sure yet about what all the camper will need... we need to get it out of the garage and set it up and see. Several years ago the rain started leaking in on our way to Florida.... it came in where the two ends of the gasket that goes all the way around the roof had separated. We didn't know until we got there and set up, and we found wet blankets in the cabinet there on the inside. As time went by, mildew/mustiness etc started, and we just never know what we're going to find each spring or summer when we open it up. The roof got cracks all over it (Coleman ABS roof) and we followed the advice on the portal and also the Pop Up Princess on how to fix the roof with MEK slurry and Grizzly Grip. We also replaced the long gasket that had separated and caused the leak. The roof repair lasted a few years but the cracks started up again, and the front part of the roof actually started to delaminate. We fixed it again, and it's been a few years now. It's starting to get some little cracks again, but not too many and they're not too bad. We keep it in the garage now, so that helps. We don't have the funds to buy another camper, and besides the hitch for the Honda, my husband says there's also seven pin wiring, auxiliary transmission cooler, and something else...I can't recall what he said. Oh - auxiliary power steering cooler. When we bought our Toyota Sienna years ago, it had a towing package included. But the Honda does not. That's the reason we're thinking about tent camping. :) I think we're getting the pup out this weekend! Fingers crossed that things haven't gotten too much worse! We bought it in 2001, so we've had it for a good while and have had a lot of fun with it! (And done a lot of work on it!)

Good thing the abs roof will not lleak, it will delaminate. New fix is to take of the abs in entirety and apply the GG add backer plates to the latches. Been there done that. So as long as the roof seal and ac gasket is good, you shouldn't have water from the roof. Other places , yea. Let me know and ask on the portal. Been there done that.....and everyrhing else.

Good thing the abs roof will not lleak, it will delaminate. New fix is to take of the abs in entirety and apply the GG add backer plates to the latches. Been there done that. So as long as the roof seal and ac gasket is good, you shouldn't have water from the roof. Other places , yea. Let me know and ask on the portal. Been there done that.....and everyrhing else.
Thanks for the advice! I hope we won't be needing it! Lol! 😂

Agree with cots, but throw in a box fan to blow cool at night, a help with skeeters. You will be glad you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter