Comfy sleeping suggestions for tent camping?

Jennybird61

Earning My Ears
We've enjoyed camping at the Fort in our pop-up several times over the past fifteen years or so. Love it so much there!! The next time, this Fall, we'll probably be sleeping in a tent instead of in our pop-up. Those of you who tent camp - what kind of padding do you use for sleeping? My husband doesn't really like air mattresses, so we're hoping to find something else that's comfy and not too expensive, although a good air mattress is not entirely out of the question. Do you use cots, foam mattresses, air mattresses? Also, we're not as young as we once were, and there are definitely some spine issues involved! Lol! Thanks for your help! 🏕️ :flower1:

When we car camp (tent camp) we bring cots. For added comfiness you can add a mat on top. That's what most of the kids in our group did last week when we camped at the fort. The adults were in the pop-up, the kids in the tent on cots.

I do a lot of tent camping (but not at the Fort).

You don't say what type of tent you will use, @Jennybird61 , but if space allows you don't want to be on the ground if you can help it. So if you have cots, go with those.

Since it will be fall when you go, it probably won't be that cold so you won't have to worry about body heat loss out the underside of the cot (although it can be an issue). I put a top sheet and/or light blanket on first to use for when I go to sleep but also a second, warmer blanket folded down at my feet. The temperature drops during the night and is coldest right before morning so I fall asleep with the light covering and if I feel the cold, pull the thicker blanket up during the night. Anything fleecy is good for that second blanket.

Also helps to cover head (stocking cap) and feet (clean socks) if it's going to be cold. But you and DH know if you're a colder or warmer sleeper but head and feet can help if needed.

Hope you have good weather for your trip this fall.

Bama Ed

I do a lot of tent camping (but not at the Fort).

You don't say what type of tent you will use, @Jennybird61 , but if space allows you don't want to be on the ground if you can help it. So if you have cots, go with those.

Since it will be fall when you go, it probably won't be that cold so you won't have to worry about body heat loss out the underside of the cot (although it can be an issue). I put a top sheet and/or light blanket on first to use for when I go to sleep but also a second, warmer blanket folded down at my feet. The temperature drops during the night and is coldest right before morning so I fall asleep with the light covering and if I feel the cold, pull the thicker blanket up during the night. Anything fleecy is good for that second blanket.

Also helps to cover head (stocking cap) and feet (clean socks) if it's going to be cold. But you and DH know if you're a colder or warmer sleeper but head and feet can help if needed.

Hope you have good weather for your trip this fall.

Bama Ed
Thanks for that info, Ed! Our tent is a Eureka Copper Canyon 4 person tent. We used to set it up at the fort for extra space, keeping our clothes bags etc in there while we slept in our pop up, but the pup needs a lot of work and we just don't know that we have the time to take care of that this summer, so we're thinking we might sleep in the tent this time. Or maybe set up the back of our minivan for sleeping. That's another possibility. We always had at least six people for our other trips, but this time it might just be the hubby and me, so a smaller space would be ok. Of course, we couldn't use cots in the van, and they do sound like a nice idea.... :)

The first few nights i slept on my RV bed was really good but the more i slept on it the more uncomfortable it got. I might take a flyer on these folding mattresses.. not cheap but comfort never is!

We were huge tent campers before the RV. Still have all the gear in storage. We bought our "floors" at Harbour Freight. They are moving blankets like you see in Uhauls. We use a smaller one right at the front of the tent that you can shake out. We used Never Flat air mattresses. They are really nice, plush and firm settings. They have a super quiet extra pump in case the bed loses air during the night. We use a 25ft 12-gauge extension cord because our 50 ft 16g was smoking one morning. We bring lots of fans. I know its cooler in the fall, but wife likes day naps, so.

Used to tent a lot. Summer at the fort in a tent is brutal. But we got the XL cots from Bass pro (I'm a big guy). They are just shy of the size of a twin bed. Also got 1" memory foam toppers. Me and the wife. Kids were still little so they shared a queen size air mattress. We had a 10 x 14 tent that I could stand up in. We did some winter camping as well and electric blankets are your friend in that situation. But overall pretty comfortable. Much more so than an air mattress. We then upgraded to a pop up because I like my AC and now to a TT cause why not. Maybe a little "harder" to tow but way easier on the setup and take down. Tent/popup was hours of setup and more when we broke camp, making sure canvas/tents are dry packing up like tetris..... But travel trailer a quick sweep, pull a flush valve, push a button hook and go. 45 minutes tops if we were messy or just want to flush the tanks a bit longer. (just my 2 cents)

Thanks for that info, Ed! Our tent is a Eureka Copper Canyon 4 person tent. We used to set it up at the fort for extra space, keeping our clothes bags etc in there while we slept in our pop up, but the pup needs a lot of work and we just don't know that we have the time to take care of that this summer, so we're thinking we might sleep in the tent this time. Or maybe set up the back of our minivan for sleeping. That's another possibility. We always had at least six people for our other trips, but this time it might just be the hubby and me, so a smaller space would be ok. Of course, we couldn't use cots in the van, and they do sound like a nice idea.... :)

Great choice. I've recommended Eureka Copper Canyon tents in various sizes to people who want to "car camp".

I use a Eureka Midori 1 for my hiking/backpacking tent nights. With a Base Camp Thermarest rollup mattress that is pretty darn fantastic for what it provides.

I like the large fly and the vestibule space underneath that it provides.

I also use a canvas wall tent with cots and/or airbeds. We used them for our adult children at the Fort last November.

Not a fan of air mattresses in general nor of sleeping in the back of a minivan or suv with seats all removed-done both and no fun at all. We camp sometimes in our little Corp of Engineers campground near the house with extra large cots and the canvas tent-little fall getaways in nice weather. I like the feeling of being "suspended" and not bumping the side/head/foot bars. They are Cabellas Outfitter XL cots which I think have now been discontinued but other than heavy/sturdy, they work well.

I guess your choices depend on if you think you'll use them much/at all (mattresses/cots) after the Fort trip.

Bama Ed

The first few nights i slept on my RV bed was really good but the more i slept on it the more uncomfortable it got. I might take a flyer on these folding mattresses.. not cheap but comfort never is!
Some put those puzzle peice floors under the mattress for a little extra padding. On mine I found a used tumbling matt. Without it I sink to the plywood.

We use Exped Megamats. They are a hybrid foam/air mattress and super comfy, with a much higher Rvalue than an air mattress, which becomes a heat sink in the cold. They are spendy but we got ours used. There’s other similar mats out there for cheaper!

Used to tent a lot. Summer at the fort in a tent is brutal. But we got the XL cots from Bass pro (I'm a big guy). They are just shy of the size of a twin bed. Also got 1" memory foam toppers. Me and the wife. Kids were still little so they shared a queen size air mattress. We had a 10 x 14 tent that I could stand up in. We did some winter camping as well and electric blankets are your friend in that situation. But overall pretty comfortable. Much more so than an air mattress. We then upgraded to a pop up because I like my AC and now to a TT cause why not. Maybe a little "harder" to tow but way easier on the setup and take down. Tent/popup was hours of setup and more when we broke camp, making sure canvas/tents are dry packing up like tetris..... But travel trailer a quick sweep, pull a flush valve, push a button hook and go. 45 minutes tops if we were messy or just want to flush the tanks a bit longer. (just my 2 cents)
Great info about the cot/toppers! Thx! I know what you mean about taking down camp with a pop up or tent. Definitely my least favorite part of the trip, and not just because I know I'll be missing Disney World! It just seems to take forever! (We probably take too much stuff!) :laughing:

Great choice. I've recommended Eureka Copper Canyon tents in various sizes to people who want to "car camp".

I use a Eureka Midori 1 for my hiking/backpacking tent nights. With a Base Camp Thermarest rollup mattress that is pretty darn fantastic for what it provides.

I like the large fly and the vestibule space underneath that it provides.

I also use a canvas wall tent with cots and/or airbeds. We used them for our adult children at the Fort last November.

Not a fan of air mattresses in general nor of sleeping in the back of a minivan or suv with seats all removed-done both and no fun at all. We camp sometimes in our little Corp of Engineers campground near the house with extra large cots and the canvas tent-little fall getaways in nice weather. I like the feeling of being "suspended" and not bumping the side/head/foot bars. They are Cabellas Outfitter XL cots which I think have now been discontinued but other than heavy/sturdy, they work well.

I guess your choices depend on if you think you'll use them much/at all (mattresses/cots) after the Fort trip.

Bama Ed
Very cool Eureka Midori! And thx for the XL cot info.... We're starting to lean toward cots, I think. I'm curious... what didn't you like about sleeping in the back of a minivan?

Great info about the cot/toppers! Thx! I know what you mean about taking down camp with a pop up or tent. Definitely my least favorite part of the trip, and not just because I know I'll be missing Disney World! It just seems to take forever! (We probably take too much stuff!) :laughing:
Too much stuff, nonsense :rotfl:
You never know if you might go to a black tie event or need to take up french horn lessons. Gotta be prepared.

Very cool Eureka Midori! And thx for the XL cot info.... We're starting to lean toward cots, I think. I'm curious... what didn't you like about sleeping in the back of a minivan?

Well, it was a long time ago (1990s) but we had a Dodge Caravan that had seats that fold down into the floor to give us a big open back end. IIRC we went tent camping and weather blew up one night so we bailed into the car for the night.

Those floors aren't PERFECTLY flat and smooth (hooks for the seats) and it was stuffy (wet so didn't crack windows).

My preference is up-off-the-ground rather than on the ground/surface. And on the ground/surface depends on if I'm in my Midori 1 with a proper backpacking mattress or in the back of a van with an air float. Now I will say, mattress toppers and memory foams have come a long way in 20-30 years.

No sense making an investment in cots or expensive toppers if this is the only time you might try something like this. I found with a cot I could also slightly elevate the head end which is more comfortable for me when I'm not at home (although in our Aliner I simply use two pillows).

BTW, what month of the fall are you going to attempt this?

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter