• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Comfortable shoes that aren't sneakers?

In the past over multiple trips, I would only wear supportive athletic cross-trainers or approach shoes with wicking socks. But after the last 2 trips, with multiple blisters & losing a toenail due to blisters, I am changing things up this Fall. I go to WDW for 12 plus days at a stretch & do rope drop until fireworks.

I've been breaking in a pr of Chacos . . . not the toe loop ones . . . plus a pr of Teva Tirras. I'm ditching other stuff in my suitcase to make room for these 2 prs of athletic sandals. Feet first is my motto this trip. Even changing up the footwear to give my toes & heel a break from rubbing against the same fabric has got to be a big plus.

We are leaving for WDW in 11days :teeth: . On our last trip in December I mostly wore my running shoes in the parks. The problem for this trip is that I *hate* wearing socks and sneakers when it's really hot. Plus, wet sneakers in the frequent summer afternoon showers is no fun.

Any ideas for shoes that are still comfortable but are maybe more breathable and water resistant than sneakers?

I used to do Crocs, which are so ugly , but so comfortable. Then I could just wear my Teva Mush flip flops and be fine. But now I've noticed flip flops bother me more than they used to. So I just got a pair of Sanuk yoga sling flip flops. Sanuk Womens Yoga Sling Patriot White Stars Sandal 7 B (M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGTX3VY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9PEXxbN8KGAN4 I'm excited to try them. They are more like sandles since they go around your heel, so no flopping, and the straps are super soft like a tee shirt.

I'm the same way - hate socks but for all the walking I need something better than dollar flip flops. I like the Skecher Go Walks but even with the memory foam, my feet hurt after just 5 hours at the zoo plus I got massive blisters on the back of my heel. I now wear my Nike Flyknits if I'm going to be walking a lot. They are sockless, breathe well and don't rub! I'm also looking into buying some supportive flip flops.

Edit - just noticed your name is runnermama so I thought I'd add that most of my sub-5k runs have been in the Flyknits as well. Normally I don't walk in my running shoes but these are the exception and it has been super comfortable!

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, last time I wore a retired pair of running shoes...didn't want to put miles on a current pair. :)

Tieks! They're pricey, but they last and are SO incredibly comfortable. I bought some for walking around Europe, and I should have left my other shoes at home. I walked 80+ miles (mostly on cobblestone) and they saved my feet. My friend bought some since after I came back since she was going to Europe as well, and she just posted today on FB that she's walked 100+ miles in them and that she thought they were well worth it.

Now I wear my black ones to the office. That's how good they held up and how versatile they are.

Skechers Go Walk. Most comfortable shoes ever.

Also had some Croc sandles, which are pretty good too, but I find them hard to walk in when they get wet.

A word of caution about shoes with memory foam......if the foam gets soaked in heavy rain it stays wet for the rest of the day. Nothing quite like having water gush out of the foam with every step.

Keen Newports. I have wide feet and they fit perfectly. They also provide excellent toe protection. One of the best features is, since it's a water shoe, they dry quickly. I usually wear socks, but the shoe salesman told me the shoes are made to be worn with no socks. In the winter (if you do wear socks), it's best to wear wool socks in case your feet get wet as wool insulates even when wet.

We are leaving for WDW in 11days :teeth: . On our last trip in December I mostly wore my running shoes in the parks. The problem for this trip is that I *hate* wearing socks and sneakers when it's really hot. Plus, wet sneakers in the frequent summer afternoon showers is no fun.

Any ideas for shoes that are still comfortable but are maybe more breathable and water resistant than sneakers?

I feel you on the socks and sneaker when its super hot! Teva is a good brand, Sketchers makes some comfy shoes, but I swear I love my sanuk flip flops or yellow box flip flops more than anything!! My husbands also swears by anything croc makes! Have a blast on your trip!::MickeyMo

For warm weather I love my Keen Whispers. Great for wide feet like mine. For cool weather I wear New Balance walking shoes with Thorlo socks. They keep my very sweaty feet dry and blister free.

I also wear a different pair of sandals/shoes every day - sometimes I've brought three pairs of footwear so each pair can dry thoroughly between wearings. I've also been known to change socks (and even shoes) in the middle of the day, especially back when we were in the parks from rope drop to closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter