Come Along My Little Strudels on a 2016 ABD Trip Report - Cloud 9 Sky Bar

mare1203

DIS Veteran
Adventurers!!!!

Guten Tag and Wilkommen! to my latest trip report for an Adventure by Disney! My dad and I recently returned from the last Central Europe trip of the 2016 season and we had a phenomenal time. This was our third Adventures by Disney trip and the first we took without my sister. She, for some weird reason, decided she’d rather go on a honeymoon than with us...:confused3:rotfl:

I also wrote trip reports for our previous adventures in Italy and Italy/Switzerland so if you’re interested, pop on over and check those out as well. The links are in my signature.

It took us quite some time to decide to do this trip and we went back and forth on a number of locations before settling on Central Europe. I knew I wanted to take a trip in September, because it's still crazy hot in Phoenix and I always feel I need to get out of the Valley to keep myself sane in September. When we began to look at trips and dates, it became clear the dates would narrow our choices considerably. It ended up coming down to either Germany or Central Europe. Germany was appealing because it finished in Munich during Oktoberfest, but we preferred the Central Europe itinerary. I contacted a friend of mine who had been on both trips and was recommended Central Europe in favor of Germany. We ended up taking the added advice to travel to Munich after the adventure ended and experience Oktoberfest on our own. Such a good decision and I look forward to telling you about it.

As always, let’s start with some introductions!

My name is Mary and I live in Phoenix. Due to a variety of circumstances throughout my life, it is my mission to both see and enjoy as much as I can in life and not take it too seriously! When I’m not planning my next vacation, I work with college students trying to get into law or medical school. I’ve had the Disney bug since I was about 10 years old, but my love of Disney is mostly relegated to the Parks and Resorts arm of Disney. Read: Don’t choose me as your partner for Disney trivia about the movies or music, because I will fail miserably and you will curse deciding to make me your partner. I was looking forward to many experiences on this trip, but the Salt Mine and Ice Cave were on the top of the list. Oh, and I love a good lager, so I was also looking forward to being in Stiegl country as well as sampling Munich’s beloved lagers.

Traveling with me was Dad - a.k.a. Bob, Bob-O, Bobbers, Roberto, whatever you’d like to call him. He rarely answers to any of them anyway :rotfl2:. Bob lives in Central Illinois and owns a meat shop and meat distribution company. No vegetarians around these parts. He got us into the world of Disney and has loved ABD since our first adventure when he realized his enthusiasm for group travel and the ease with which ABD allows him to see the world. He is very active, and was most looking forward to the Ice Cave this trip. He was also mildly worried about what this whole Oktoberfest-thing was about. Find out if he loved it or hated it!
So, :welcome:, Wilkommen and Gehen Wir Adventurers, as we set out to explore the enchantment of Central Europe!

DISCLAIMERS: I am going to do a full trip report; there will be spoilers. You’ve been warned. Also, please do not assume that everything that happens in this trip will happen in yours. Each tour is different and unforeseen circumstances can alter planned (and even unplanned) experiences for any reason. Finally, I would like to include some of the pictures taken by our amazing ABD guides, so it might be a little slow until those arrive. Luckily, we had a day to ourselves before starting, so no worries.

Last edited:
YAY!! Another of your trip reports!! So looking forward to following along. A lot of the activities parallel what I did on my Danube River cruise, so I'll be interested to see how they might differ on a land ABD.

Sayhello

Loved your Italy/Switzerland trip report and look forward to this one!

Hiya from another Central Illinoisan! My wife and I were on the Last Central Europe trip of 2015! It'll be neat to see the sights again and compare notes!

Love your trip reports, too! Echo @sayhello and will be interested in seeing how this compares and contrasts to the Danube trip.

I'm willing to read anything that calls me a strudel...so I'm in :-) In all seriousness, I love reading your reports and look forward to hearing about your experience.

Just an early THANK YOU for your up coming review. Love, love, love eastern Europe and by your writings so far I suspect you do also. Sitting here with baited breath.

Looking forward to reading a report on this trip as its something we are considering for a future adventure.

Can't wait to read your trip report. We did this trip in the first month it was offered as our first ABD. We were hooked from then on. I love reading your reports and your enthusiasm for your adventures. Who were your guides - we had the amazing Jennae and Betti.

Can't wait to follow along.

We did the trip the week before you so I am glad you are better at doing trip reports :), I still want to do a high level with my thoughts but yours will be a bit more extensive than mine :). We had Betti and Christine on our trip and they were both great!

I'm so excited to read another of your trip reports! This is an itinerary I would love to do!

Laurie

Love your trip reports! Traveling the world vicariously through you! And also from the 'Land of Lincoln'...:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter